(03-14-2006) U2 Top Rolling Stone Rich List -- WENN*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
U2 Top Rolling Stone Rich List

Irish rockers U2 have beaten The Rolling Stones and The Eagles to top the 2005 rock rich list, drawn up by Rolling Stone magazine.

Bono and his bandmates made an estimated GBP90.7 million from touring and album sales, becoming the only act to break GBP58.8 million on the Rock's Top Thirty Moneymakers list, which is compiled using interviews with industry experts and figures from Nielsen Soundscan and Pollstar.

The top 10 rock earners of 2005, according to Rolling Stone magazine are:

1. U2 (GBP90.7 Million)
2. The Rolling Stones (GBP54.4 million)
3. The Eagles (GBP37.1 million)
4. Sir Paul McCartney (GBP33 million)
5. Sir Elton John (GBP28.8 million)
6. Neil Diamond (GBP26.4 million)
7. Jimmy Buffett (GBP25.9 million)
8. Rod Stewart (GBP23.7 million)
9. Dave Matthews Band (GBP23.3 million)
10. Celine Dion (GBP18.5 million)

--WENN

Renrutjd said:
It would be interesting to compare these numbers with the Rap and R&B market artists.

Not really.

Each album sells for what - $13-18? And most artists make at most a $1-2 per CD (if that). Most rap artists are big in only two areas - the U.S. and the U.K., and they don't always cross-over. So even if the rap artist sold 10M albums worldwide last year, the profit they see is small. Rap artists do not make a lot of $$ touring as the audiences just aren't there.

Contrast this to U2 and the Stones. One reason the Stones keep making albums is that it gives them a reason to tour (and not just do a "Golden Oldies" tour). Their newer albums only sell a 1M or so copies in the U.S., but they make boatloads of $$ touring.

U2 still sells lots of albums - ~10M total for HTDAAB. And they have a worldwide sold-out tour. Combine the two and that means big time $$. Now, if U2 just had a big selling album, but no live audience, they would not even be close to the top of that list,

This is why Celine Dion and Dave Matthews are there - they concerts make big time $$, even if they don't have an album out (or one that sold well).

Hence, rap and R&B artists would not be on that list. They simply don't tour (or hold enough concerts) like U2 or the Stones or the other artists there.

How much of it are they gonna donate to Africa?? It seems that 8% would be fair since they talk about it so friggin much.

If they donate less, are they hipocrits?

I remember reading something not too long ago that Jimmy Buffet does exclusive concerts for the ultra-rich. like for instance the Tyco executive who was in court last year.

We do not know the details of what Bono and the others donate to charity. We shouldn't assume they don't. Christ said that if you brag about your good deeds then your reward will be on earth and not in heaven. He said to not let your left hand know what your right hand was doing.

Chewystick69 said:
How much of it are they gonna donate to Africa?? It seems that 8% would be fair since they talk about it so friggin much.

That is a very good question.

I do not doubt Bono's sincerity in his efforts, but it would be a very BIG thing of the band to directly take some of their own millions of dollars and lead the way.

U2 as individuals and as a business make charitable contributions all the time, both publicly and privately.

As far as why acts like Jimmy Buffet are so high on the list, the complete Rolling Stone article explained that touring is really what helps push acts into the high figures, not album sales. Someone like Mariah Carey, who's album was one of the biggest of '05, didn't tour so isn't on the list, while Buffet can make millions without even releasing an album. Merchandising and endorsements (which U2 doesn't do) also help.

doctorwho said:

Not really.

Each album sells for what - $13-18? And most artists make at most a $1-2 per CD (if that). Most rap artists are big in only two areas - the U.S. and the U.K., and they don't always cross-over. So even if the rap artist sold 10M albums worldwide last year, the profit they see is small. Rap artists do not make a lot of $$ touring as the audiences just aren't there.

Contrast this to U2 and the Stones. One reason the Stones keep making albums is that it gives them a reason to tour (and not just do a "Golden Oldies" tour). Their newer albums only sell a 1M or so copies in the U.S., but they make boatloads of $$ touring.

U2 still sells lots of albums - ~10M total for HTDAAB. And they have a worldwide sold-out tour. Combine the two and that means big time $$. Now, if U2 just had a big selling album, but no live audience, they would not even be close to the top of that list,

This is why Celine Dion and Dave Matthews are there - they concerts make big time $$, even if they don't have an album out (or one that sold well).

Hence, rap and R&B artists would not be on that list. They simply don't tour (or hold enough concerts) like U2 or the Stones or the other artists there.

What would I do without you man.:up:

dsmith2904 said:

As far as why acts like Jimmy Buffet are so high on the list, the complete Rolling Stone article explained that touring is really what helps push acts into the high figures, not album sales. Someone like Mariah Carey, who's album was one of the biggest of '05, didn't tour so isn't on the list, while Buffet can make millions without even releasing an album. Merchandising and endorsements (which U2 doesn't do) also help.

Actually, I was saying "Jimmy Buffet???" not because I didn't believe he made that much, but because I hate Jimmy Buffet. I hate Jimmy Buffet soooooooooo much :mad:

I once spent a "lovely" summer working at a beach resort. While stuck working at the towel hut, Jimmy Buffet songs were played over the PA. Everyday. For three months. All day long. Except when the keyboard/singer guy would entertain for an hour. During which he would play Jimmy Buffet songs. And every Jimmy Buffet song, is the exact same song. Margaritaville, Cheeseburger in Paradise, doesn't matter, exact same song :banghead:.

Anyway, good for U2 :D :up:.

kellyahern said:

Actually, I was saying "Jimmy Buffet???" not because I didn't believe he made that much, but because I hate Jimmy Buffet. I hate Jimmy Buffet soooooooooo much :mad:

I once spent a "lovely" summer working at a beach resort. While stuck working at the towel hut, Jimmy Buffet songs were played over the PA. Everyday. For three months. All day long. Except when the keyboard/singer guy would entertain for an hour. During which he would play Jimmy Buffet songs. And every Jimmy Buffet song, is the exact same song. Margaritaville, Cheeseburger in Paradise, doesn't matter, exact same song :banghead:.

Anyway, good for U2 :D :up:.
:

:lol: Clearly, the summer from Hell. Kelly, you are one tough chick!
I salute you!:bow:

Back
Top Bottom