(03-13-2005) Hall of Famers or just a bunch of Pretenders? - MSNBC*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Hall of Famers or just a bunch of Pretenders?

Questionable calls, and omissions, among this year’s class of inductees

COMMENTARY
By Ree Hines and Helen A.S. Popkin

For two decades, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has paid tribute to some of rock’s greatest acts. On March 14, the Rock Hall recognizes the contributions of a new batch of inductees. U2, the Pretenders, the O’Jays, Percy Sledge and Buddy Guy will all receive the much-coveted record-toting statuette denoting their contribution to the aural landscape. And as with every year since 1986, those chosen for this honor remind music fans everywhere of the other artists they believe more deserving. Inductees become eligible 25 years after their first release, which means there are a whole lot of artists out there still waiting to be enshrined. Just what goes on in the heads of those “rock historians” who choose the nominees? And how deserving is this year’s selection? Helen and Ree discuss.

Helen: Here’s how I’m ranking them in order of importance: The Pretenders, the O’Jays, Percy Sledge, U2 — and while he’s a mean guitar player, Buddy Guy is a blues musician, so he’s number five.

Ree: Wow. U2 is mighty far down on your list. Bono and the boys are infinitely more relevant than the Pretenders. U2’s early ’80s releases, “Boy,” “October,” “War” and “The Unforgettable Fire” showed the band at its most angry and poetic — rock’s perfect combo — and inspired a gaggle of wannabes. Of course, that was before Bono’s enormous ego took over the world and he was nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize, and that whole World Bank thing. He was always a preachy know-it-all, but there’s something charming about the idealistic pleas of a young Dubliner full of moral outrage that doesn’t work for a fancy-pants multimillionaire permanently decked in designer shades. Nonetheless, U2 belongs in the Hall of Fame — though I would’ve made the band wait a year as punishment for that “Vertigo” iPod commercial.

Helen: Feh. U2 may be the only Irish stadium band on the planet, but they’re responsible for some really bad records over the years. Not all of which were their own. (Coldplay, Travis, I’m waving at you.)

Ree: As for your first pick, the Pretenders, I give them props for helping usher in modern rock and providing a pretty decent soundtrack for my youth. But, honestly, Blondie did a better job of both.

Helen: If the Pretenders never did anything past their first album, the band would still belong. The self-titled debut includes an obscure Kinks song, “Stop your Sobbing,” produced by Nick Lowe. Plus, Chrissie Hynde is hot, loudmouthed and opinionated. And two of the original members are dead. Guitarist James Honeyman-Scott died of a heroin overdose in 1982 — two days after they kicked bassist Pete Farndon out of the group for doing drugs. Then Farndon died of an overdose the next year. You don’t get more rock and roll than that.

Ree: I’d like to nominate Chrissie Hynde to the Eyeliner Hall of Fame. She continues to inspire my Saturday night makeup. And while I got no such cosmetic tips from Percy Sledge, he’s certainly overdue for the Rock Hall honor. As impressive as his past releases are, Sledge is still making great records. Last year’s “Shining Through the Rain” shows the man hasn’t lost a thing over the years. But he could have made the inductee list based on “When a Man Loves a Woman” alone. There will never be a better love song than that. Never.

Helen: “When a Man Loves a Woman” is possibly the most poorly produced record in music history. Both the singing and the horn section are way off key — and yet it’s such an affecting record. So really, the production is great, if you follow me. When you think about it, Percy Sledge is the godfather of punk rock. He totally predates Sonic Youth atonality. Percy Sledge is way more influential than U2. And we haven’t even mentioned his fabulous hair.

Ree: If you want to talk about fabulous, let’s talk about the O’Jays’ suits. Nobody puts in that kind of effort anymore. The O’Jays’ matching ensembles and synchronized dance moves made as much of an impression as their Philadelphia soul. I always think of them as a ’60s act, but they dominated the ’70s when they released “Back Stabbers” and “Love Train.” Despite being nominated three times, these guys never got a Grammy. How is that even possible?

To read the remainder of the article, visit MSNBC.com.

Thanks to cmb737!

:yawn:
What else is new? :rolleyes:

I can match articles for them being there to article's aganist them being there. I just don't have that much time, no actually I just don't want too...
because what the f*** do I care what "they" think?
:eyebrow:

So the Pretenders are more deserving than U2 because two of their members are dead and because Chrissie Hynde is "hot, loudmouthed and opinionated"? (Sounds a bit like someone else we know, that "preachy know-it all".) :shrug:

Like I have always said...You either love u2 or you hate them.

And is it me or is the whole world bank thing such a non-story? Just the kind of stuff we will having to defend for years.

HelloAngel said:
Helen: Feh. U2 may be the only Irish stadium band on the planet, but they’re responsible for some really bad records over the years. Not all of which were their own. (Coldplay, Travis, I’m waving at you.)
:laugh:

Even though I kinda like Coldplay...

AtomicBono said:
I don't get people that don't like U2...but whatever.

pshhh, who does? :coocoo: how can you not like the greatest band ever? beats me.

yay!!! post 300!!! what does that make me?

msnbc tossers....

the fact that they at msnbc try to tear into U2 and Percy Sledge shows that they are culturally and musically useless in the past and present. way to go msnbc, good choice of critics. let me go ask a broken clock what time it is. U2 rules!
JP

I don't give a rat's ass what two other people think of U2. They're no smarter than I am when it comes to music. It's really stupid when someone thinks Musician X--I like Chrissie Hynde *alot* and this is not intended as criticism of her--thinks someone is more "qualified" for the Hall because they've done drugs. For the record, I smoked pot in high school. Does this make me qualified for the Hall? Of course not, I'm not even a musician.

Last edited:
Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'm not completely without a sense of humor (a la Sean Penn) but what a ridiculous piece of diatribe. If it was an attempt at sarcasm, it was pretty lame.

Some months back, one of the members of this forum posted a brilliant comment with which I agreed so fully I actually retyped it and attached it to my monitor.

Please, if you are indeed the person who coined this, step up and take a bow:

"In my opinion, when someone says they don't like U2, a flag instantly goes up. They are obviously not right in the head. That U2 is the best is an absolute truth. Like gravity."

:wink: :applaud:

Pop Daisy

:bow: :edge: :bono: :larry: :adam:

Back
Top Bottom