(03-12-2007) All-star Darfur benefit record readied - USA Today*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
All-star Darfur benefit record readied

Edna Gundersen's got the scoop on the upcoming all-star Instant Karma album, a charity project due June 12 that will benefit Amnesty International's efforts to end the Darfur genocide. Among the artists singing John Lennon songs: U2, The Cure, Green Day, Christina Aguilera, Regina Spektor, Aerosmith, and the first single, #9 Dream by R.E.M. (including departed drummer Bill Berry).

http://blogs.usatoday.com/listenup/2007/03/allstar_darfur_.html

Thanks Kevin!

Why not use orignal songs instead of using the Late Greate John Lennon??? I'll still buy it.

RavenBlue said:
I wonder what song U2 are going to be performing?

The article (if you go to the web-site and then the link to the word "scoop") says U2 will do Instant Karma.

"The basic $19.98 CD has 20 John Lennon covers, including the title track by U2..."

Very fitting.

Original songs?

John's songs to this day still embody the spirit of peace instead of war. I know of no other artist living or dead whose songs would have been a better choice. Lennon's works' have stood the test of time and to this day embraces and moves the anti-war movement although Bob Dylan's and Woody Guthrie's oldies comes in at a close second.

Today's artists' original songs just don't cut it !

"Today's artists' original songs just don't cut it."

Well how about writing a song that does "cut it".

Doing Lennon covers will immediately lead to comparisons with the originals and sorry, U2 are alot of things, but they're not as great a talent as Lennon.

jedi Larry said:
"Today's artists' original songs just don't cut it."

Well how about writing a song that does "cut it".

Doing Lennon covers will immediately lead to comparisons with the originals and sorry, U2 are alot of things, but they're not as great a talent as Lennon.

that's exactly what I was trying to say however, what I wrote didn't come out like I wanted it to. I'll give some artists some credit when it comes to covering Lennon. I thought Neil Young's cover of "Imagine" back in 2001 for the 9/11 tribute was pretty good.

I heard REM's version of Dream #9, it is strange to hear someone elses voice, though- I don't care for the sound of Michael Stipe's voice on this. Maybe cause I hear Lennon's deeper voice in my head. I do love REM, though. I thought i saw this already advertised in a newspaper, with many different sleeves ....
It does support something VERY important-why is it that more bands don't get involved with moral issues - it helps to raise such awareness and get people involved in different ways.:rockon:

Back
Top Bottom