(03-10-2006) Airlines Swoop With Offer for U2 Fans -- The Courier Mail*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Airlines Swoop With Offer for U2 Fans

Alex Murdoch

Ed. Note: For fans attending shows in Japan and Hawaii, this article may be helpful in dealing with your airline about postponing your trips. Check out the General Tour Discussions forum to speak with other fans about rearranging your U2 travel plans.

AIRLINES have come to the rescue of diehard U2 fans left high and dry after the Irish rock supergroup postponed its national tour.

Many had already shelled out thousands of dollars on non-refundable airline tickets and accommodation to see the rock gods in action, when the group called a halt to the tour citing the serious illness of one of the band's family members.

Fans have speculated that the reason for the postponement is guitarist The Edge's eight-year-old daughter Sian, who was believed to have been diagnosed with leukemia about a year ago.

A spokeswoman for tour promoter Michael Coppel Presents said Coppel had been liaising with Air New Zealand, Qantas and Virgin Blue since the shock announcement.

"All three airlines have willingly and graciously agreed to offer passengers holding U2 tickets a reprieve from the usual cancellation and change fees," she said.

Customers of both Virgin Blue and Qantas should contact the airline before Monday to change their flight details, while Air New Zealand passengers should contact the airline before their departure date.

"Passengers are advised to discuss fare options and terms and conditions with their airline or travel agent as soon as possible," the spokeswoman said.

Meanwhile an eBay spokesman said the online auctioneering site had removed all U2 tickets from its sales listings.

"The aim is to protect buyers because the descriptions of the listings were not longer accurate," he said.

Mr Feiler said Ebay advised those who had already bought tickets to hold on to them until further notice from the promoter.

--The Courier-Mail

Honestly - this shows the power of U2 and how the world (including major corporations) are willing to wrap their arms around this band and its fans...

I wish the US Airlines and travel companies were as sympathetic. I am about to have round two with Continental and use some of this information here to see if ANYTHING they are willing to do to bend for those of us in the US who were travelling to Hawaii who are now wanting to re-schedule. I am willing to wait to see U2 if they re-schedule, I just can't afford to go to Hawaii two times. But then I am not too keen on losing hundreds of dollars on what was cheap airfare either. We were smart to book ahead to save money for a quick trip that will now end up costing us way more. But then we virtually have more months now in which to save more (hopefully). It's a waiting game, to see how it all pans out. I just can't help but feel so sad.

An eBay spokesman said the online auctioneering site had removed all U2 tickets from its sales listings.

"The aim is to protect buyers because the descriptions of the listings were not longer accurate," he said.

Mr Feiler said Ebay advised those who had already bought tickets to hold on to them until further notice from the promoter.

Unless I'm really reading into this, the story would also suggest that eBay will be in the helpful mix as well -- meaning, at least as I read this, if you have tickets to a canceled date that were purchased on eBay, you might have a way to attend if the shows eventually happen.

So, possibly eBay and Ticketmaster work together to ensure that the ticket holder, regardless of how the ticket was purchased (ebay or TM direct) could get a re-issue ticket to an eventual concert.

While this could be mere pipe dreaming on my part, it might be the first time that a promoter, TicketMaster, and a relatively reputable after-market option, eBay, work togehter to keep fans happy.

I'm not impacted financially by this situation, but will cross my fingers for those of you thinking you might be stuck in "Hawaii U2 eBay Hell"

Out

BWU2Buffs said:
[While this could be mere pipe dreaming on my part, it might be the first time that a promoter, TicketMaster, and a relatively reputable after-market option, eBay, work togehter to keep fans happy.

Out

Wow this would be next to a miracle. But miracles have been known to happen :wink:

The Daily Telegraph:

U2 fights for the rights of upset fans
March 11, 2006

U2's Australian promoter has struck a deal with airlines to assist fans affected by the band's sudden postponement of their Vertigo tour.

Michael Coppel approached Air New Zealand, Qantas and Virgin Blue to waive fees for cancellation or changing of travel arrangements.

The tour was postponed on Thursday due to a serious illness which is believed has affected one of guitarist The Edge's family.

Frontman Bono and his family had been enjoying a brief Sydney holiday before embarking on the final leg of the record-breaking tour when the close-knit band and their promoters made the devastating decision to postpone the Australian concerts.

Many of the touring party – most of whom have been with the band for decades – were also already in Australia and preparing the huge outdoor staging and production rigs which would have graced Telstra Stadium on March 31 and April 1.

The promoters yesterday reacted to concerns from U2's devoted Australian fans who had made non-refundable airline and accommodation bookings, asking the major carriers to transfer fares. Qantas and Virgin Blue passengers should contact the airlines by Monday.
I can't help but think some of the other airlines will come around eventually.
At least that's my hope for all who are affected.. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom