(03-09-2007) "Idol" recruits superstars for charity special - Reuters*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
"Idol" recruits superstars for charity special

By Kimberly Nordyke

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Gwen Stefani, Pink and Annie Lennox will perform on a star-studded two-night "American Idol" charity special next month.

U2's Bono also is also expected to sing, and Sacha Baron Cohen will appear in character as Borat. Other performers lined up include crooners Josh Groban and Michael Buble, and classical-crossover combo Il Divo.

"Idol Gives Back" is designed to raise awareness and funds for poverty-relief organizations that help children and young people in the U.S. and Africa. Fox has partnered on the project with Charity Projects Entertainment Fund.

During the April 24 episodes, airing from 8-9 p.m., the top six finalists will sing about compassion and hope; for every vote cast via phone or text message, "Idol" sponsors Coca-Cola, AT&T and others will donate money to charity. The expanded results show, airing from 8-10 p.m. April 25, will feature the celebrities taking the stage. During that episode, viewers will be able to make their own donations via toll-free lines and the Internet. The Ford Motor Co. also will contribute to the cause in connection with its weekly music video.

"Idol" creator Simon Fuller said he hoped the event would be a big success, "allowing us to continue to make these important, world-changing shows for many years to come."

The money raised by the event will equally benefit the U.S. and Africa, aiding such organizations as the U.S. Fund for UNICEF, the Global Fund, Save the Children, Nothing but Nets and Malaria No More.

"Idol Gives Back" also is providing a link on its Web site (www.americanidol.com/idolgivesback) to One: The Campaign to Make Poverty History. Said Bono, co-founder of the One campaign, "I wouldn't underestimate the reach of ('Idol') or the impact its audience can have."

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070309/tv_nm/idol_dc_1

I saw this advertised last night on the show, and I was like HUH?
When Ryan Seacrest mentioned Bono I almost fell out of my chair.
I never in a million years thought I would hear Bono/American Idol in the same sentence. But thinking about it, it's a smart strategy so it's all good.
Now if only we could get the AI auidence to vote in the next election.... :)

Sing, or just show up? He can't sing alone, he has to at least bring Edge with him.

It's broadcast TV's best guilty pleasure. And who knows, maybe there will be a song recorded wth all the stars and the six Idol finalists. Imagine the crossover appeal.

my knee-jerk reaction to this was :no: but upon reflection it's obviously a great move in terms of increasing awareness. I'm not a fan of Idol, but a LOT of Americans are, and a lot of them probably have no idea what's going on in Africa right now. I guess if Bono can bring himself to appear on AI then I can bring myself to watch. It can't be worse than hearing that Yasmin guy sing One last season....

i can't believe it. i am sorry but i don't think it is a good idea. Bono's name should be attached but i don't think it is necessary for him to appear on the show. i mean i am sure the others appearing can do a great job without him. but this is the most unstable teetering on the line of "Rule # 1: don't be dull" that has ever been since the start of B-man's campaign. the Idol crowd isn't really all that interested in Bono anyway they don't need him. Send Britany Spears or something.

I know this may sound very selfish but i think that show is absolute bullocks and i can't imagine Bono being involved on the actual show. maybe he can record a video message or something but please no bono on the show.

p.s. this is the most contraversial message i have ever posted so please be gentle.

zooperson said:
p.s. this is the most contraversial message i have ever posted so please be gentle.

Just make sure to wear your armour-plated undies, curl up in a fetal position, and protect your head as much as possible -- you shouldn't get too badly damaged. :wink:

I don't think this is a good idea. I'm sorry, but that show is a detriment to television and is poisoning an already crappy music industry. Where is the Bono who said he'd like to take all the Idol shows and "bite their heads off"? Most of the people who watch that show probably don't know who Bono is anyway.

I can hear them now:

"Umm, like, what's that old guy doing on here?"

Hm. Maybe he's getting back into ironic/subtle "ZooTV/Fly Shades" metality, foreshadowing the musical direction of the next album. I'm already cued into this (I hope)--the new short haircut. And in case you think I'm reading into the lines too much, these guys do get "Symbolic."

Besides didn't he say he'd do lunch with the Devil himself to get what he wants for Africa? This isn's as bad as letting oyur pic be taken with Bush, but IM, it's almost as bad:) But I'll be watching just the same!

PS Zooperson...it's OK, it's alllll good. This place isn't the WIRE list:wink: We may argue, and get fiuesty, but as lonng as you don't attack people or talk about the band's personal lives, we're nice. Once in a blue moon someone may do something that REALLY ticks people off (like impersonating Edge posting on this site!Sept. 04) but it would have to take something of that caliber...

Hail and well met!

Last edited:
Like I said in another thread, I really really hope he doesn't perform. I couldn't handle that. It's like seeing the Clay Aiken version of Streets on Youtube, I almost threw up.

I wonder what Larry thinks of this? I am sure Bono doesn't give a rip, but I bet he is cringing ( if he performs that is)

What the heck would he sing anyway... aacccch. I can't even go there.... please don't do it Bono!!
Just speak!

I don't give a rip if it's just Bono doing this. He did record that crappy song with Wyclef Jean and do that Net Aid thing a few years ago. He sometimes gets pulled into dubious things because he's overly passionate about what he believes in.

Now if U2 were doing this, then I'd lose alot of respect. :mad:

Last edited:
To be fair, Seacrest never said that Bono would be on the show; he just name-dropped him in saying that Bono had called it "pop history" or something like that. I doubt Bono would appear, except possibly in some taped segment urging people to sign up for the One Campaign.

I heard one of the contestants wanted to sing COBL and couldn't get the clearance to do so, so I'm thinking this has gotten blown way out of proportion. Bono's not an idiot; AI is the most-watched show in America, so it's a pretty ingenious way to get the message out to as many people as possible.

hold on, is there any update on this, did this happen? i don't watch American Idol....

id be pretty pissed if Bono got on there

Back
Top Bottom