(03-07-2005) PM Influenced U2 Tour -- CP*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
PM Influenced U2 Tour

OTTAWA (CP) — You too could get U2 to play your town, if you were PM.

Irish superstars U2 have added Ottawa to their worldwide Vertigo tour after a phone call from Prime Minister Paul Martin to lead singer Bono.

The two have been on first-name basis since Martin cut debts owed to Canada by Third World countries when he was Liberal finance minister.

Bono is a strong campaigner for debt relief.

Radio station BOB-FM lobbied Martin last month to get U2 to play Ottawa and promised to rename itself PAUL-FM for a day if he was successful.

The Prime Minister’s Office said Bono just happened call Martin prior to the station’s campaign.

Martin returned the call and told Bono about the drive to get the band to Ottawa, said Martin spokeswoman Melanie Gruer.

“Another promise made, another promise kept,” Gruer joked, echoing the Liberal slogan on the federal budget heard repeatedly at the party’s convention last weekend.

U2 added 33 cities to the tour Sunday, including Ottawa, which it will play Nov. 25 — the day the station plans to call itself PAUL-FM.

The band also announced it will play two concert dates in Toronto and another in Montreal, in addition to the previously announced Vancouver show.

Tickets for the Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa shows go on sale March 19. Tickets range from from $50 to $176.

The quartet is using Vancouver’s GM Place as rehearsal base for the tour, which begins at the end of March in San Diego.

Gruer said Bono told the prime minister the band really likes Ottawa and was eager to add it to the tour.

Martin’s office says he hopes to attend the Ottawa concert.

as long as I'm the only Prop presale person in Ottawa I'm happy...

Does Paul Martin have a u2 membership too? :wink:

bull's eye said:
as long as I'm the only Prop presale person in Ottawa I'm happy...

Does Paul Martin have a u2 membership too? :wink:

You're not but don't worry, I'm not going for Ottawa with my pre-sale. After the snowstorm we had today I've decided I don't want GA (i.e stand in line all day)for the Ottawa show.

Good luck!

And yes, thank you Mr. Martin!! :applaud:

I guess it'll be pretty packed.

I have seen many acts at the Corel Centre and there's always lots of room to move.

However, this is u2.

I am one happy fan though! No matter what happens!

I have two options, Ottawa or Toronto, Ottawa is at a more convenient date, but Toronto's tickets go on sale first, so I don't really know what to do.

They'll go onsale the same week it looks like.

However, on the ticketmaster u2 site...Ottawa and Montreal don't show up.

I'm sure they'll have it worked out for next week.

This is the cheesiest story ever!!!!!! PAUL-FM!?
you ottawans kill me

"The two have been on first-name basis since Martin cut debts owed to Canada by Third World countries when he was Liberal finance minister. "
~ umm and what other name would Paul Martin use to refer to Bono? hmm =P

Another Ottawa former-prop member here. I have a question or more of a concern. The corel centre does not use ticketmaster but rather capital tickets. Do you think our presale (or pre-presale for former-prop members) codes will work?

Back
Top Bottom