(03-06-2007) It Was Twenty Years Ago - U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
It Was Twenty Years Ago

'A lot of the songs were ones that were recorded in Larry’s spare bedroom or Adam’s living room.' On March 9th 1987 U2 released an album called The Joshua Tree.

In the next few weeks we'll be turning the spotlight on The Joshua Tree, celebrating the twentieth anniversary of its release.

U2.com has published an insightful piece on the album. Post your thoughts and memories below of "The Joshua Tree" for a future article on Interference.com. Make sure to give permission to be quoted!

I couldn't wait and got it the day it came out. I couldn't afford the album to I got the cassette tape so I could listen to it back and forth on the train while I attended FIT.

The whole album gave me a sense of calmness through its melodies. I couldn't stop listening, I literally wore out the tape.
20 years later the same album has the same effect on me and still listen to it quite often. Its one of those albums that has staying power, it will not just fade away.

(you have permission to use)

It was U2's attempt to get onto the radar here in the states. And it hit is before some of us could spot it.

It's a piece of work that makes you want to go back and stay there.

You'd think they would've posted this on Friday so that it actually was twenty years ago, instead of twenty years ago minus three days :huh:

Interesting, too, that the 10 year anniversary of Pop goes practically unmentioned over at U2.com.

I had just met my husband when JT came out. I also for the very first time had an excellent sound system in my car. When ever we drove anywhere I would blast the music and dissapear into the sound. My legs would get filled with goosebumps and my husband actually got jealous.

The CD had to be put away for awhile................:slant:

^ That's funny my husband used to get jealous too, everytime WOWY was on video, or radio I would swoon. :giggle: As I tell him today, U2 has been with me longer than he has. :ohmy:

This is so ironic i finally re-purchaed this album this past week. After it was stolen a while ago...such a great album...the best 80's U2 album IMO.

Last edited:
Hey guys -

Make sure to give permission to be quoted - I'd love for this site to work up a great article about fans looking back on this album. :heart:

Still Haven't Found is my favorite U2 song, and this will always be my favorite album, by the boys or any other band. AB is solid first song to last, but nothing will ever move me like JT.

The album came out my senior year of high school and I've never lost my fascination with it. It was my only companion and friend when I trekked across Europe in the summer of '92, and again when I moved to Taiwan in '93, where I'd live for the next three years. (I even bought a copy in Taiwan, with the lyrics on the insert, song titles, etc all in Chinese, which I still have.)

I will always cherish this master work and will wear my JT shirt proudly on Friday.

Brent

PS: Don't expect there's anything quote-worthy in there, but "quote away" if you feel so led. :)

The first time I heard " I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"
it was like Bono and the band were in my head, reading my thoughts. During this time in my life The Joshua Tree was a sort of a life line for me and my deep spiritual connection with this sonically soaring and poetically colorful music was about so much more than just another song on the radio. Bono was telling stories with his words inviting us to look in on U2's view of the world, it's landscapes filled with deep and powerful tones filled with passion and transcendence. The Joshua Tree is a treasure forever.

(yes you may quote me )

Memories.............my then husband was jealous of my love for this most excellent album too! It's still my favorite to this day and probably always will be.

I wish U2 had put out some kind of a commemorative or collector JT Anniversary issue cd or dvd. THAT would have been so cool :up:

Permission Granted.

This is the best album of all time. It is hard to describe a record (yes a record) where all the hits and multi-million selling singles are on the A side, but the B side is perhaps my favorite collection of back to back songs ever.

This record led to the tour where on September 14th 1987 I sat with my parents in the top row of Giants Stadium gazing at the crowd below. This is where I fell in love with live events. This is where I fell in love with scaffolding, and this is where I fell in love with stage design. This night, a night almost 20 years ago, when the band had the guts to play One Tree Hill live sparked my desire to go into design, and eventually led me to be an architect.

I have moved on since, but have worked on some of the largest buildings on the planet.

I can directly credit this back to the B side of the record that I all but wore out on my Panasonic record player in my bedroom.

not enough can be said about The Joshua Tree.

-ouizy

Music usually falls into one of three categories for me. The first is the one where I like it on first listen but is quickly relegated to the 'Initially catchy but ultimately cringeworthy' pile. The second is the one where I'm impartial on first listen but where it ultimately grows with familiarity. Everyone has the 'don't like it, never will' third category.

There is a fourth category that I'd call ' The Joshua Tree'. Never before and never since have I thought "WOW" from the outset. I've probably listened to this album a 1000 times and it still sounds as great now as it on first play 20 years ago. This simply hits all the spots for me.

I'm married and have a child, but I'm equally as pleased that The Joshua Tree became part of my life.

If you can find anything here worth quoting then please feel free.

You have my permission to quote any of this.

I first heard ISHFWILF on the radio in 1989, as I was in the car with my parents moving to our new home. I was 9 years old at the time, and just discovering music on my own. That song really resonated with me. I was upset and felt so lost and alone, but it cheered me up and gave me hope.

My next encounter with the band (specifically The Joshua Tree) was at a friend’s house. I randomly chose the CD and played it. I’ve been hooked ever since. This is far and away U2’s best album, and all the songs have touched me or inspired me in various ways ever since. I’ve never tired of it, and doubt I ever will.

The music of the JT album is what I turn to when I feel sad. It's impact compares to the security of a favorite worn sweatshirt you can't seem to toss out, a favorite childhood teddy bear, a best friend's shoulder to lean on, or the best hug you ever had. I also blast JT on long car rides especially through the desert-it's spiritual and therapeutic to me. The music of JT has always made me happy.

I had been a fan for 6 yrs at that point. I was 18 when JT came out. I went through the "fan club" stage from 1981-84 (when I understood the band's political lyrics and, in the first flush of discovery, felt it was like being in a secret club that no one else could understand); then, when events in my life started getting darker, through what I can only term a direct intervention by God via "Bad", discovered the spiritual/religious side of them, in January of 85. I did not howefer fall in love for LIFE until I watched Bono wrap that black girl in his arms at Live Aid, watching that on TV in JUly of 1985 when I was 15, all I can still remember was the way he cradled his head on her shoulder, how he had his eyes closed throughout the whole thing, how gentle he was--it looked more like a private midnight slow dance with Ali then a public moment with a total strnger in front of 80,000 people and a global audience. That was when I felt I TRULY understood the band and what they were about. I collapsed on the floor and wept uncontrollably. It was my U2 baptism of fire. (22 yrs later, I think I would have still reacted the same way.)

So JT for me was first and foremost a combined Intellectual and emotional experience. I felt like these guys were memebers of my family. Even though I had never seen them live and would not for another 5 yrs. I had kept vigal listening to my radio every night in Feb that yr waiting for the first playing of WOWY (on this station I listened to, it premiered on the morning of March 5, 1987--I taped it and the other day, to mark the anniversary, I listened to the cassette again--I still have all my caaettes and they work fine, except for "Side 1" of War (I puit quotes b/c War didn't have sides, the whole album was on each side)which I wore out--esp 40. Side 2 works great though.

The day it came out, I didn't have a car, and there was no bus service on this road by my college (weird, there is now). So I walked a mile down a busy road to the record store, and spent the next hour and a half idling bacl with it on my phones. Most vivid memory: almost getting killed b/c I blindly walked into a busy intersection right into oncoming traffic belting out "OH, GREAT OCEANNNN, OH, GREAT SEAAAAA...run TO the OCEANNNN. run to the SEA". (Does anybody remember the big debate on whether that song was the end of One Tree Hill or the beginning of "Exit"? ) And magic, pure magic, walking across campus and hearing it coming from 25 different windows. Weird, that my liitle band was everybody' elses' at last....

To write al this album still means to me would take ages. Though I wonder if the politcally savvy and compromising Bono of today would have still lodged a public protest in AZ. abvout the MLK non-holiday. No doubt he woukd NOT protest...just met with the governbor and politely asked him to change his mind. SOmetimes changes are not for the better....

There are moments on The Joshua Tree that touch the place in my mind that is exclusively for music that brings me great pleasure. I close my eyes and tilt my face up, as if grateful for long-denied sunlight. Listening to it is as cleansing as a good cry, something I find increasingly hard to do as I get older. You may quote me if you wish.

Back
Top Bottom