Go Back   U2 Feedback > 'Zine (archived) > U2 News
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2005, 02:23 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ramblingrob
Interesting take. I've been a big U-2 fan for a long time, and it was interesting to see the Dead (Grateful) get a take. I think the comparisions between U-2 and the Dead are a bit faulty. Both have longevity, but U2 wins the albums/hits categories, but the Dead wins the concert category hands-down. The Dead toured for 30 years at 75-100 (or more ,sometimes less) shows per year. U2, like the Stones, rolls out the machine every three-four years. NIce, but not as prolific as the Dead.

Interesting article, though.
The Greatful Dead rarely tour outside of North America though. In addition, "The Dead Heads"(the hardcore fan base) went to nearly every show on the tour, filling up stadiums in places that would not have been possible without them. Unique indeed, but not a true example of widespread popularity, especially when you consider Europe, South America and Asia where the Grateful Dead rarely played.

Old 03-08-2005, 10:28 PM   #17
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

The Greatful Dead rarely tour outside of North America though. In addition, "The Dead Heads"(the hardcore fan base) went to nearly every show on the tour, filling up stadiums in places that would not have been possible without them. Unique indeed, but not a true example of widespread popularity, especially when you consider Europe, South America and Asia where the Grateful Dead rarely played.
True enough. The Dead were really an American band. They did play Europe in 72, 74, 81 and 90. Canada, too, a bunch of times. But I will stand by my statement that they were a much more prolific touring band than U2 ever was and ever will be. U2 is much more like the Stones in terms of touring. The Stones still made decent albums up until Emotional Rescue (1980) and have been a nostalgic act since. U2 is definitely not a nostalgic act, I would say.

Your statement of "Deads going to nearly every show" is not really true. I know what you are trying to say, but many of the Dead's fans were locals that went to the one show in their local area once a year (or whenever they came around). As for me, I saw the Dead over an 11 year period and never went on tour. I averaged about 3-4 shows a year and used the shows to take mini-vacations around the US (saw 35 total and several offshot Dead-related bands).

But, by and large, what you say is correct. I also think I am correct in stating that the Dead were a much more prolific (and interesting) touring band than U2. One of the reasons Deadheads went to so many different shows each year is that the setlists were never repeated- literally. With U2 you basically get the same show each night. To me this does a disservice to their musicainship and band history..

Good insights, though. (The purpose of the ESPN article was really to compare U2 to sports figures and I really didnt do this, so dont hold it agains me )

Later

Old 03-09-2005, 12:50 PM   #18
War Child

lebron could be the u2 of sports if everything works out and continues like its going