(02-27-2006) Pride in the name of Chile - U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Pride in the name of Chile

This Chile show looked like one "Mother" of a good time! Awesome!

Quite a day in Santiago and a special show to end it at the Estadio Nacional, complete with Edge playing the charango and the band performing Mothers of the Disappeared. Reports and photos on the way, meantime here's the set list.

City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
Elevation
Until the End of the World
New Year’s Day
Still Haven’t Found
Beautiful Day
The First Time
Sometimes You Can't Make it on your Own
Love and Peace
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Miss Sarajevo
Pride in the Name of Love
Where the Streets have no Name
One

Zoo Station
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
With or Without You

Mothers of the Disappeared
Yahweh
All I Want is You

http://www.u2.com/news/index.php?mode=full&news_id=1908

Saturday 25.02.2006: After a great afternoon playing music with my band (we play progressive and classic rock as Pink Floyd, Genesis, Rush, King Crimson and Yes ) we took the bus to Santiago at 9 o clock.

11:30 PM: Finally we (My brother, my friend and I) arrived to a friend´s in Providencia, Stgo.
We spend the night there. We went to bed early because we wanted to keep energy for the gig...

Sunday 26.02.2006:

7 AM: We got up, we took a big breakfast, then we took a shower and went to the stadium

8:30 AM: We got off the bus and walked to the Stadium.

8:40 AM: We started the loooooooooooong wating. People from security marked our hands with a number (the first 4500 people could enter to the Golden Circle). We were the number 3200 and something. Fortunately the weather was mostly cloudy !!! (all other days the sun was really hot, above 30° Celcius)

12:30 PM: We took our lunch ... still waiting...

14:00 PM: The gates were opened (just for us, people from Golden Circle) and we went to the "Velodromo del Estadio Nacional" part.

15:00 PM: We got into the field of the Stadium

17:00 PM: Some nuts started to throw plastic bottles to nowhere.
Despite that, the people´s behaviour was smooth.

20:00 PM: Franz Ferdinand were onto stage and performed for 45 minutes (more or less) with an excelent and high-energy show, great communication with the audience. Despite I didn´t knew all the songs, some ones they performed were Darts Of Pleasure, Take Me Out and Dark Of The Matinee.

21:15 PM: U2 was getting late. The show should have began at 21:00 PM. Audience was LOUD !!!! and impatient (including me, jejeje). Several people were on stage changing some things, setting up the stage for U2.

21:20 PM: Some person from the production I think said us that we were calmed and don´t push and squash each other after several guys from the rest of the filed jumped onto Golden Circle.

21:35 PM: President Ricardo Lagos was announced over the speakers, the crowd was pleased and he got an ovation from the whole stadium. We knew the band was ready to go and they were just waiting for the president !!!

21:40 PM: City Of blinding Lights ...

...The Rest is history...

23:50 PM: The concert was over

12:40 AM: We were back home exhausted, having attended to a wonderful gig.

Highlitghs?...

Well... City Of Blinding Lights, I always Said that it was a great opening, and IT WAS

The old numbers as Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Year´s Day, etc

All the cell phones iluminating the stadium

Achtung Baby Encore

The poingnant ending Mothers- Yahweh- All I Want Is You

The overall playing by the band, top-energy, helped by (honestly) the loudest crowd I´ve ever heard of this tour. Yes, far superior than Brazilians, Mexicans, etc Also great chattering and communication between the band and us

Low Points? The Sound wasn´t as good as it were back in 1998. This time it was somewhat saturate. Edge´s guitar was LOUD and sometimes I couldn´t hear Bono´s voice, but that was mainly for us, jejejeje, I mean, too much crowd singing !!!

I missed Running To Stand Still instead of Miss Sarajevo and The Electric Co instead of Elevation.

How I wish I joined to the band onto stage for performing Mothers Of The Dissapeared. I know how to play Charango very well !!!!!!!. Also I really wish I was onto stage for singing "No More!" instead of that child

... So... which gig was better? Pop Mart 1998 or Vertigo 2006? In my humble opinion, I really believe it was Pop Mart 1998. Despite this time the crowd was even more enthusiastic, Pop Mart 1998 had another flavour. It was more poingnant, specially for the lost-for-words ending with One and Mothers Of The Dissapeared with the Chilean Mothers Of The Dissapeared on stage, and the sound was cleaner and better. Neverthless, in both gigs the band played at 110%.

One thing I´m sure off: This one blow Chicago DVD on the water by infinite miles. All we´ll have a decent DVD at last !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.humonegro.com/videosu2.html

PS: Paul McGuinness, who has seen more U2 shows than anyone, called it ‘one of the very best - the band were on top form and the crowd outstanding.’;)

ponkine said:
PS: Paul McGuinness, who has seen more U2 shows than anyone, called it ‘one of the very best - the band were on top form and the crowd outstanding.’;)

ALL shows are great, why are you so focused on your show being the best?
One mght suy...how could you compare the post 911 show in NYC?

Jono said:

ALL shows are great, why are you so focused on your show being the best?
One mght suy...how could you compare the post 911 show in NYC?

The New York show post 9th September was poingnat, obviously. But in terms of band´s performace this show was far, FAR better :drool: and less cliché

PS: READ WHAT THE POST SAY !!!!!!. IT´S NOT MY OPINION, RATHER IT´S PAUL McGUINEESS. So write him instead :wink:

I dont mind which one is better, but figure 70.000 people, 4500 hardcore fans in the inner circle with just one chance to see U2 live and the band trying to do their best, and actually doing it, you can have one of their best shows from the tour...you dont need to be paul mcguiness to say that

but figure a location where 2,3,4 or 5 shows were played....you can't have one of their best in that way....it's just my opinion...

23 songs...good set list and All I Want is You. A favorite of mine. Nice way to end the show. I think this was a good show. I'll have to download it tonite, I saw someone had already posted it.

I love that "Miss Sarajevo" is part of the regular set-list once more for this part of the tour. "Running..." is a great song, but it's been done SO many times. MS is fresh - and Bono does it SO well.

Ponkine - surprised you went considering how much you hate the new U2.

Liked "Mothers..." - wish they would play it more.

doctorwho said:
I love that "Miss Sarajevo" is part of the regular set-list once more for this part of the tour. "Running..." is a great song, but it's been done SO many times. MS is fresh - and Bono does it SO well.

Ponkine - surprised you went considering how much you hate the new U2.

Liked "Mothers..." - wish they would play it more.

Hola ;) it´s not that I HATE the new U2, rather I don´t like it:shrug: anyway I have always said that I love songs like City Of Blinding Lights :drool:
That´s the reason why I wish I had a little different setlist. I´d dropped Elevation, Love And Peace, etc.

How I wish I had listened to Running To Stand Still live :sad: it´s my fav U2 song !!!

I didn´t buy the ticket, I won one in a contest !!!:up: that´s the main reason why I attended. I just had to spend money for the bus ticket Viña Del Mar- Santiago and then some snacks and the urban bus from Providencia (in Santiago) to Estadio Nacional, that´s all :lol:

I really spent a wonderful time last night... but... in the end, I still prefer Pop Mart Santiago 1998 :heart:

Back
Top Bottom