(02-25-2005) Editorial: Bono for the World Bank - LA Times*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Bono for the World Bank

Bono, the U2 rock star, has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, and he is a credible candidate. But we have a better idea on how best to recognize his effective lobbying on behalf of African development — Bono should be named the next president of the World Bank.

Don't be fooled by the wraparound sunglasses and the excess hipness. Bono is deeply versed in the issues afflicting the least-developed nations of the world, as former Treasury Secretary Paul H. O'Neill learned when he traveled the continent with the musician.

O'Neill, an uber-wonk, came back singing Bono's praises. Bono even brought ultra-conservative Sen. Jesse Helms to tears by relating poverty in Africa to passages in the Bible.

Bono may not have a PhD in economics, but he'd have plenty of real economists around the bank to consult. Bono is the most eloquent and passionate spokesman for African aid in the Western world. And given that both ex-President Bill Clinton and British Prime Minister Tony Blair have in recent years made Africa one of their focuses, that's saying something.

Bono led the Drop the Debt campaign in 2000, seeking to forgive billions in loans to the Third World, and in 2002 he co-founded Debt, AIDS and Trade in Africa, a serious group that seeks to raise awareness of Africa's problems and lobby governments to help solve them. It could hardly ask for a better spokesman than its founder, whose fame has helped open doors that other lobbyists spend decades trying to crack.

Bono could enhance the World Bank's image and sell its poverty-reduction mission far more effectively than the other deserving candidates being mentioned for the job, which traditionally goes to an American — a tradition that deserves to be broken, even if not in favor of the Irish rock star.

For one thing, Bono could mobilize public opinion in favor of getting rich nations to abide by their commitments to development aid, which they rarely meet.

The singer likes to tell the story of how he got interested in Africa after visiting Ethiopia following the Live Aid benefit for Ethiopian famine relief in 1984. At the recent World Economic Forum in Davos, he compared contemporary indifference to Africa's plight with the indifference of some who saw Jews being herded away on trains during World War II. Surrounded by titans of industry at Davos, he also spoke of aid to Africa in terms of brand identity: Brand America is doing poorly around the world, he said, and spending more on poverty relief would help market the country and its products.

President Bush, who has a large say in who will get the job, should realize that Brand America and the branding of both the World Bank and development generally would benefit greatly if Bono gets the nod.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion...,215296.story?coll=la-news-comment-editorials

Thanks to Bono's American Wife!

It's hard to know where the status is on these issues. Did Bono actually get people to drop the debt? How many countries finally contributed? It's confusing b/c you hear that Clinton, Bush both approved of dropping the debt, but that Congress had to approve it. Did this happen?

There's a lot of talk about what's been "accomplished" (maybe too much talk? meh-heh-heh), but I know that I for one am still not clear on what has ACTUALLY been done. (For example, the US has earmarked billions for Africa, but I gather it hasn't been paid out yet.)

What has actually been done? Has money been raised for Africa, or is it all still rhetoric? Can any Interference'rs say with real authority? Is Bono still trying to round up promises from a few years ago, or has he collected on those and is just still beating the drum b/c there is more to be done?

If Bono ever actually got his paws on such a job, First World, watch out. It would be the greatest thing for the so-called "Third World" since the introduction of the railway system (which is probably the only good and lasting thing that's been done for it, and then only under the guise of paternalistic colonialism. So much of the '60's "green Revolution" has backfired, except perhaps in India, b/c of Agribusiness insisting on wrecking the local agriculture by planting "domestic" seeds--Monsanto only soybeans, instead of the native brand, for example...)

The fact that anybody wrote a serious editorial about this KICKS MAJOR BUTT, as someone said....

I've been reading about this and Wolfenson (sp, I know) is slowly being "squeezed" out of his job by Bush. THe Pres of the WB has a 10-year tenure and Wolfenson's term is up in about 2 yrs. I think. He wanted to run again for the office (it is permissable) but Bush has clashed with Jimmy Boy privately several times, and he is reportedly VERY unhappy about the way that he has devoted too much time to the Developing World. He wants to have more direct oversight over the WB's funds and wants the WB to become more "American-friendly." He is keeping a close watch on the last months of Wolfie's term and I'm guessing this is why he has no hesitation on backtracking on such things as the vaunted 5 bil African AIDS and Dev't Fund. Soon he'll have one of his cronies in there, so why go through the hassle of actually allocating anything?

You're right, Bush has a great deal of power and influence in picking the next WB prez, and he wants someone from his own Adminstration to succeed him. (Goodbye, DATA agenda. Sorry Bono, but you're about to find out how right Edge finally was.)Translation: this is just another way of stabbing Bono in the back.

As to what has actually been done, Nathan, that''s a good question, and one that Bono is actually trying to bring attention to. I've been keeping a notebook on this issue for almost 7 yrs, article printouts and such (it's a pity Prarit's award-winning site is no longer there; he beat EVERYBODY hands down for gathering U2 news, and sorry mods, no other site has measured up since). Bono has said himself that his big contribution has been 1) raising awareness of the problems and 2) personally lobbying world leaders for the passage of legislation. He is media figure and really, that's all he can do. But in an age where celebrity is power, even more so than public office, his is a great and paradoxical power, perhaps the most dangerous of all.

Consider this: Have you read Paul O Neill's book? Bono has a couple of mentions. Public accounts would have you beleive that O'Niell was fired for messing up the US economy. But the spark that lit the fire was (according to numerous articles in the Wall Street Journal, thank you, Prarit) a series of meetings that O' Neill had with groups of American and European busniess leaders in the summer and fall of 2002 (or whatever that year they went to Africa was.) O'Niell, as he had prearranged, took 2 weeks off after getting back from the Africa trip "detoxing" and letting the emotional aspects of the trip recede so he could put the trip in proper steady political and business sense. He had sensed what Bono's agenda was and (we allfollowed this pretty closely) both men has very diff viewpoints and would not be swayed either way. Turns out, the trip deeply changed both men. Bono did not beleive O'Niell's stories about corruption in the NGO's (Charity organizations, basically) but had his mind blown by things that he found out for himself on the trip. O'Niell, for his part, was determined not to be pulled in by Bono's line about how the US and other countriues needed to pout more money into key areas to develop the infrastructure of these countries just to get them on their feet (the aid "A" in DATA.) His mind was blown, in turn, by the direct evidence of the lack of basic necessities, esp clean drinking water. The whole point of the Ugandan well thing, which was key in Bono's agenda, was to illustrate this. How can a country get on its feet if lacks the most basic stuff of life?

Well, try as he might, O'Niell just couldn't get the "clean drinking water" problem out of his mind. He was floored. Here was something concrete, something that shouldn't clost alot of money, relatively speaking, and something that could produce tangible results. So he basically began to harp on and rave about clean drinking water at these key business meetings. Bono lost the battle in Africa in front of the cameras,it seemed, but in the end, he had won the war, as he hoped. At these meetings, the European investors broke out into standing ovations, falbbergasted in the change in O'Niell. But (according to the Journal), the US business lobby sat there cold as ice, giving him glaring looks. One trader whispered: "Doesn't he know that he has to answer to investors?" (as in Wall Street ran the world. Which, in this Free Trade age, it does.Or should, if the US was still the econoimc island it used to be.)

Word of these meetings got swiflty back to Bush by Christmas 2002, and it was then that he bagan to keep a close watch on his Treasury Secrectary..

Basically, he wants to put someone like Dick Armey in the office. (Hopefully not as corrupt, though I wouldn't be surprised.) As for what Bono has done, he has succeed in getting the issues on the table, and gotten some world leaders to commit funds. Clinton dropped some $40 million in HIPC countries' debt, while Bush has forgiven none (a fact that nobody mentions, and I'm not being partisan here, I followed this issue from Day One and have the articles a thome). it was Clinton's involvement on such a large scale, at least symbolically, that encouraged Europe tog et invloved.

Clinton has done the symbolic thing of getting some HIPC debt dropped. He did this with little encouragement. Maybe it was because he and Bono were close personal friends, I don't know. But did not commit money on the level Bush did. Bush, after much pressure and using Bono politcally for a nice phot op, pledged to commit 5% bil, over a period of 10 yrs, but so far none of the money has been allocated, and the new COngressional budget has chopped it in half. And unlike Clinton, whose debt forgiveness came with no attatchments, that remaining 2. 5 bil was to have been committed exclsuively to a fund Bush set up for the purpose: forgot the name, but basically it's to countries that change their behavior and rot out corruption, and more importantly, change their sex education. Countries that advocate abortion and birth control funding and condoms don't get the money, for example. You have to have abstinence has your main AIDS control tool.

So who has accomplished more: the leader who made a widely symbolically affecting move to forgive some debts, but pledged no money, or the leader who had to practically be prodded in the back to pledge any money, but set conditions and is now backtracking on even that, and has actually given nothing. You decide.

On the whole, taken into account, I;d have to say that for the past 6 yrs, the US has been blowing a lot of hot air around, while Europe has been blowing less, but that's only in proportion to its smaller size. It has this going for it thoughL it has actually taken steps to forgive its share of HIPC debts, and given, percentage wise, more money, even though it;s a drop in the bucket. Bono spins his arguments against the other countres in whatever country he is in (he;s a genius at that), but all in all, I;d say he;s preaching to a chruch with only the 4th pew filled, and choir singing to empty naves. Compared with whatever else has been happening in the world.

Ironically, Wolfenson has constently been the "world leader" who I think has done the most. And Bush is well aware of this.

Last edited:
can I have half the intelligence and the energy and good vibe Bono has???

Thanks, Teta040, for the great overview. You should consider polishing it up a bit and submitting it as a Featured Content piece. Preferably with a provocative title to the effect that good intentions aren't enough and DATA was a failure if that's all it achieved...that might at least get some people to read it who wouldn't otherwise.

Just be prepared to be crucified for pointing out the obvious...

yolland, I don't think Teta's post indicates DATA is a failure, rather that the Bush administration has not lived up to its promises. DATA also deals extensively with European leaders, so Bush's (in)actions are only part of the puzzle.
In the UK, Blair has made Africa a primary issue on the 2005 agenda.
We'll see what happens there.
Besides, DATA is here to raise awareness and pressure governments--and is not failing at either of those goals.
Bono and DATA certainly have raised awareness.
That's not a failure.

By no means is DATA a failure. It is ONE of the few qualified successes of an organization working for social justice in our world today. :yes:

Bush has not lived up to his stated goals and commitments toward the elimination of AIDS and extreme poverty in Africa. This is not because DATA hasn't tried - it's because Bush talks out of both sides of his mouth.

The ONE Campaign has been EXTREMELY SUCCESSFUL in raising the consciousness and the activism of average Americans in the struggle for Africa's Future.

As a ONE volunteer, I can vouch for this firsthand. Please consider yourself getting actively involved in this excellent organization.

http://www.data.org/local/

As for Bono's being part of the World Bank, he wouldn't want the position - he knows he's more effective for Africa as an outsider to the political process than being right in the muck of it.

It's a GREAT HONOR though.:wink:

No, I'm not saying DATA is a failure!!! I didn't even metion DATA. My main point and criticism is that, under Bush, the "faith-based" page on the DATA site, (for example,) would be the proper way to organize and send aid, instead of goverments. DATA's purpose is not rasing money or coordinating it in giant proportions. It was not designed to handle tasks that governments should be handling, but that's exactly what many politicians would like. They are glad these "goodwill" groups exist, so they can fob off reponsiblty to them. Bus would like tighly knit conglomerations of churches handling things government funds and organizations used to do. This is wrong.

DATA has its putpose, and it is doing fantastic job, but it should be just the beginning, and not all.

I mght expand that piece, if they'd let me put it up as an article. My point was mainly to say that DATA and like groups should not have to called upon to cover for politicians' broken promises. (You know, "we are giving aid"...but private volunatary contrbutions are just a drop of water when we need the fire hoses. That phrase is a le, if a politician says it, and means charities instead of government mandated funds. ths is what Bono is talking about. )And while a little bit of good has been done, the world by and large is dragging its heels. Individual people can only do so much.

Last edited:
lol. Guess I didn't make myself clear.

All three of the above responses illustrate why I thought pointing out the less-than-rosy truth about how little the US (and others) have committed to debt reduction so far would probably backfire: namely, because people would take it as an indictment against Bono and stop listening. I agree with all three of you about who's really to blame--that wasn't my point at all. My point was: these threads about debt reduction have a discomfiting tendency to turn into a feelgood coo-fest about all the wonderful things Bono's been able to get the rich and powerful to do for Africa, when in fact--as Teta's post illustrates--what Bono got them to do was make a lot of promises, far too many of which have yet to be delivered on.

Of COURSE that's not Bono's fault, but in order to diagnose who IS at fault and how best to make them follow through, we have to get beyond the reassuring feelgood vibe. Jamila, I've seen you in particular get attacked numerous times in various forums for pointing out all the ways in which the Bush Administration and certain faith communities have failed the very causes they earned Bono's expressions of approval for by not delivering on their promises. To some extent, these attack posts reflect partisan biases on the part of those posting them; but they also reflect an unwillingness to acknowledge that post-photo-op promises alone won't feed the hungry. Especially when they're followed by facile 'peacemaking' posts saying quietist b.s. like, 'Bono is totally nonpartisan--he's just in general saying that wealthy countries should do more--he never targets any one group in particular, and that's why he's able to get so much done.' In a pure-surface-logic sense, that may be true; but it really burns me to see people abusing Bono's strategic nonpartisanship as an excuse to avoid speaking the truth about who's not pulling their weight.

If we don't speak that truth, though, the whole enterprise really IS doomed to fail, and I personally thought Teta040's impressive roundup of facts and stats made for a pretty strong indictment. However, what Teta was saying about Bono preaching to a near-empty church also applies to that post! It's wasted, frankly, in a thread that's destined to attract a bunch of (mostly) feelgood posts and then drop into oblivion, soon to be replaced by the next feelgood article occasioning yet more uncritical applause about all the wonderful things that (aren't yet, but should be) happening in Africa, thanks to Bono. [Well, at least until some fatheaded oaf named yolland bumbled in here and started muttering cryptically about DATA...]

...And so, my idea was: consider submitting this as Featured Content; just don't call it 'Understanding Debt Relief' or something bland like that, because notice how few responses earlier Features with titles like that drew. Call it something provocative, it'd be worth it to draw attention--just be advised that saying poverty alleviation efforts are in trouble won't make you popular around here.

this is the best thread on interference in a long time.

thanks to both of you for your insightfulness and candid responses.

oktobergirl said:
this is the best thread on interference in a long time.

thanks to both of you for your insightfulness and candid responses.

:up:

I would love to see President Bush step up to the plate and insure that his pledges are followed through. If he criticized Congress for hacking his pledge loudly enough he would win. While everyone can analyze whether or not he genuinely wants to help - his continued silence in this issue except for token support speaks volumes for me.

I was watching the millennium concert where Bono thanks Clinton for dropping the debt to the poorest countries and think it is amazing that five years have passed and no more has been done.

yolland--you make sense.
a provocative headline would get attention, and of course, there is way more to the Bono/DATA story than just feel good stuff. there is the epic failure of certain governments to effectively channel pledged funds to the people actually in need.

on a side note--boston anne, i just noticed after clicking on your "one campaign" sig that the one campaign is now selling white "one campaign" wristbands.
i hadn't seen those before.
very cool.
i just ordered 10 for $10.

caragriff said:
on a side note--boston anne, i just noticed after clicking on your "one campaign" sig that the one campaign is now selling white "one campaign" wristbands.
i hadn't seen those before.
very cool.
i just ordered 10 for $10.

Cool. I just ordered them too. I've been waiting for a white bracelet and am happy that it will say "one" too. :D

Plus, I am very happy that you clicked on my sig! :up:

Yolland, that's a good idea...I also understand (I think) your reply about how my "church" remark might backfire. The purpose of all this, and of what we are trying to get people to think about, is to get the attention away from Bono and to the govt's themselves. Bono is certainly not speaking in "feelgood" terms. Don't you think it turns his stomach to have to give public words of praise to people he hates, just to encourage them, when thay take his words and use it for political advantage. We all know how he really feels about Bush. He didn't play SBS at the Clinton Library memorial for nothing. And he meant every word..

I was strongly tempted to put a "thank God we've got another tour on the horizon, b/c the politicans don't seem to want to do anything unless stung by The Fly. Then they can make a further token speech and make themselves look good." But I see the wisdom in your remarks. I'll say as little about him as possible, even though it might be true. And I have to confess, sometimes I'm as guilty as the next person. I've written to my Congressman 5 times in my life: twice on the 2 big genoicides of the 90's, and three times on Bush legislation. I've dne my personal bitty ahare for DATA but never sent a blistering letter. WHich I think I'm going to finally do, and I know how to be blistering yet polite. :)

It's a sick thing that without the meida attention that comes whenever he's in public, this whole thing dies. Look for more flowery speeches from half a dozen world leaders, when U2 hits their country for a show.

I don't know how to submit an "Op-Ed" piece for this site. Who do I send it to? I'd love to do it, and believe me, I can be as unsentimental as you wish, Yollanda:). (I still have a copy of my Ticketmaster essay in my files, that I never polished up, for reference. You want me to send it to you?) I have to look up some facts and figures I may have been slightly off on though, and expand my info.

I have to dig up my "Prarit file", and yes, I can think of a provocative title. There's the danger, though, that the mods might have a problem with me if it irks too many readers. And frankly, I have to admit, I'm not the spokesperson for this type of outrage, b/c I've been just as content at times to do nothing. I admit it.

At any point, my time online is limited, and I won't be able to do a big write-up before Teus evening, anyway.

BostonAnne said:

:up:

I would love to see President Bush step up to the plate and insure that his pledges are followed through. If he criticized Congress for hacking his pledge loudly enough he would win. While everyone can analyze whether or not he genuinely wants to help - his continued silence in this issue except for token support speaks volumes for me.

I was watching the millennium concert where Bono thanks Clinton for dropping the debt to the poorest countries and think it is amazing that five years have passed and no more has been done.

This is depressing and *very* frustrating. Damn.........:mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Last edited:
Actually, verte, every "frustrating" situation is actually an opportunity to renew our commitment and ACTION to make the world a better place.

We can never give in to frustration - it diminishes our effectiveness and that increases the suffering of the innocent people that we care about.

We must ALWAYS KEEP HOPE and we must ALWAYS DO OUR BEST to make a positive difference in our world. :yes:

Millions of suffering people around the world are depending on our ACTIONS to help them.

I don't want to let them down.

I NEED SOMETHING OTHER....:wink:

From today's L.A. Times...

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

Bono as Banker: a Bonehead Idea

Your Feb. 25 editorial, "Bono for the World Bank," is so naive it frightens me. This editorial exposes how little your editorial board understands about the role of president of the World Bank, a daunting administrative position that chiefly requires serious managerial skill, deep understanding of banking and economics and sound diplomatic and political expertise.

To think that [U2 rock star] Bono, a well-intentioned person but largely uninformed about anything beyond basic concepts of international affairs, could run the World Bank is simplistic.

Bono would be a perfect candidate to serve as a consultant or a spokesperson for the bank, as he is committed to his cause and has effectively raised the profile of issues such as debt relief.

But to think that Bono's public relations skills translate into management qualifications is like suggesting that Bill Clinton should have had a saxophone career because he was a great president and loved the saxophone.

Joe Brinker

Washington

Yes, President Bush, support Bono to lead the World Bank. And while you're at it, accept his advice about the Millennium Project challenge.

Spend what is necessary to assist poor nations in Africa now, and avoid the need for a massive outpouring of money and resources later — on uncontrolled diseases and wars arising from desperation and deprivation.

Such consequences won't just exist in some distant, undeveloped country that we can ignore. In today's global community, diseases cross oceans and wars involve our sons and daughters, husbands and wives.

Leslie Simpson

Oceanside

The fact that somebody wrote a serious LTTE refuting the artcile is perhaps even cooler than the article itself. I wish I had a print copy of the paper to put in my scrapbook forever!

Hi!

They had the LA Times reprint in the local St Pete Times {Florida} newspaper yesterday under the editorial section.....they mentioned Bono would be a good choice.

carol
wizard2c
:|

Hi!

Oh....and I forgot to mention they also had a large photo of Mr. B right next to the article.

carol
wizard2c
:|

Back
Top Bottom