(02-25-2005) Editorial: Bono for the World Bank - LA Times* - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > 'Zine (archived) > U2 News
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2005, 09:02 AM   #16
War Child

Local Time: 02:10 AM
yolland--you make sense.
a provocative headline would get attention, and of course, there is way more to the Bono/DATA story than just feel good stuff. there is the epic failure of certain governments to effectively channel pledged funds to the people actually in need.

on a side note--boston anne, i just noticed after clicking on your "one campaign" sig that the one campaign is now selling white "one campaign" wristbands.
i hadn't seen those before.
very cool.
i just ordered 10 for $10.

caragriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 10:46 AM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by caragriff
on a side note--boston anne, i just noticed after clicking on your "one campaign" sig that the one campaign is now selling white "one campaign" wristbands.
i hadn't seen those before.
very cool.
i just ordered 10 for $10.
Cool. I just ordered them too. I've been waiting for a white bracelet and am happy that it will say "one" too.

Plus, I am very happy that you clicked on my sig!

BostonAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 11:49 AM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 06:10 AM
Yolland, that's a good idea...I also understand (I think) your reply about how my "church" remark might backfire. The purpose of all this, and of what we are trying to get people to think about, is to get the attention away from Bono and to the govt's themselves. Bono is certainly not speaking in "feelgood" terms. Don't you think it turns his stomach to have to give public words of praise to people he hates, just to encourage them, when thay take his words and use it for political advantage. We all know how he really feels about Bush. He didn't play SBS at the Clinton Library memorial for nothing. And he meant every word..

I was strongly tempted to put a "thank God we've got another tour on the horizon, b/c the politicans don't seem to want to do anything unless stung by The Fly. Then they can make a further token speech and make themselves look good." But I see the wisdom in your remarks. I'll say as little about him as possible, even though it might be true. And I have to confess, sometimes I'm as guilty as the next person. I've written to my Congressman 5 times in my life: twice on the 2 big genoicides of the 90's, and three times on Bush legislation. I've dne my personal bitty ahare for DATA but never sent a blistering letter. WHich I think I'm going to finally do, and I know how to be blistering yet polite.

It's a sick thing that without the meida attention that comes whenever he's in public, this whole thing dies. Look for more flowery speeches from half a dozen world leaders, when U2 hits their country for a show.

I don't know how to submit an "Op-Ed" piece for this site. Who do I send it to? I'd love to do it, and believe me, I can be as unsentimental as you wish, Yollanda. (I still have a copy of my Ticketmaster essay in my files, that I never polished up, for reference. You want me to send it to you?) I have to look up some facts and figures I may have been slightly off on though, and expand my info.

I have to dig up my "Prarit file", and yes, I can think of a provocative title. There's the danger, though, that the mods might have a problem with me if it irks too many readers. And frankly, I have to admit, I'm not the spokesperson for this type of outrage, b/c I've been just as content at times to do nothing. I admit it.

At any point, my time online is limited, and I won't be able to do a big write-up before Teus evening, anyway.
Teta040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 11:54 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BostonAnne

I would love to see President Bush step up to the plate and insure that his pledges are followed through. If he criticized Congress for hacking his pledge loudly enough he would win. While everyone can analyze whether or not he genuinely wants to help - his continued silence in this issue except for token support speaks volumes for me.

I was watching the millennium concert where Bono thanks Clinton for dropping the debt to the poorest countries and think it is amazing that five years have passed and no more has been done.
This is depressing and *very* frustrating. Damn.........
verte76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 10:29 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:10 AM
Actually, verte, every "frustrating" situation is actually an opportunity to renew our commitment and ACTION to make the world a better place.

We can never give in to frustration - it diminishes our effectiveness and that increases the suffering of the innocent people that we care about.

We must ALWAYS KEEP HOPE and we must ALWAYS DO OUR BEST to make a positive difference in our world.

Millions of suffering people around the world are depending on our ACTIONS to help them.

I don't want to let them down.

I NEED SOMETHING OTHER....
Jamila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 01:37 PM   #21
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:10 PM
From today's L.A. Times...

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR

Bono as Banker: a Bonehead Idea

Your Feb. 25 editorial, "Bono for the World Bank," is so naive it frightens me. This editorial exposes how little your editorial board understands about the role of president of the World Bank, a daunting administrative position that chiefly requires serious managerial skill, deep understanding of banking and economics and sound diplomatic and political expertise.

To think that [U2 rock star] Bono, a well-intentioned person but largely uninformed about anything beyond basic concepts of international affairs, could run the World Bank is simplistic.

Bono would be a perfect candidate to serve as a consultant or a spokesperson for the bank, as he is committed to his cause and has effectively raised the profile of issues such as debt relief.

But to think that Bono's public relations skills translate into management qualifications is like suggesting that Bill Clinton should have had a saxophone career because he was a great president and loved the saxophone.

Joe Brinker

Washington

Yes, President Bush, support Bono to lead the World Bank. And while you're at it, accept his advice about the Millennium Project challenge.

Spend what is necessary to assist poor nations in Africa now, and avoid the need for a massive outpouring of money and resources later — on uncontrolled diseases and wars arising from desperation and deprivation.

Such consequences won't just exist in some distant, undeveloped country that we can ignore. In today's global community, diseases cross oceans and wars involve our sons and daughters, husbands and wives.

Leslie Simpson

Oceanside
pub crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 03:02 PM   #22
Refugee

The fact that somebody wrote a serious LTTE refuting the artcile is perhaps even cooler than the article itself. I wish I had a print copy of the paper to put in my scrapbook forever!
Teta040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 05:56 PM   #23
Refugee

Hi!

They had the LA Times reprint in the local St Pete Times {Florida} newspaper yesterday under the editorial section.....they mentioned Bono would be a good choice.

carol
wizard2c
wizard2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 05:58 PM   #24
Refugee

Hi!

Oh....and I forgot to mention they also had a large photo of Mr. B right next to the article.

carol
wizard2c

wizard2c is offline   Reply With Quote