(02-24-2006) Bono, Geldof among 191 Nobel Peace Prize nominees - Reuters*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Bono, Geldof among 191 Nobel Peace Prize nominees

By James Kilner

OSLO (Reuters) - Rock stars Bono and Bob Geldof are among 191 nominees for this year's Nobel Peace Prize -- the second longest list in the prize's 105-year history.

Nominations for the $1.3 million award -- considered by many to be one of the world's top accolades -- trickled in from all corners of the globe, the director of the Norwegian Nobel Institute Geir Lundestad said on Friday.

"There are two trends I want to point out. The first is that this is again a very high number and that this year we have received more nominations from different parts of the world than usual," he told Reuters.

He said 23 of the 191 nominees were organizations. In 2005 there were a record 199 nominations. As usual Lundestad declined to give any indication of who had or had not been nominated for the prize and instead referred to media leaks.

U2 front man Bono and Live8 organizer Geldof have campaigned for canceling third world debt and once again make the list.

Website reports say former mayor of New York Rudolph Giuliani and Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, who helped organize a peace deal in Indonesia's tsunami-ravaged Aceh province, have also been nominated for the peace prize.

And the Internet has been used by campaigners to drum up support for some celebrities.

Previous Nobel Peace Prize winners include U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt in 1906 for organizing a 1905 peace treaty between Russia and Japan and Martin Luther King in 1964 for his civil rights campaign.

Mother Teresa, the Indian missionary, won the prize in 1979 and former USSR President Mikhail Gorbachev won in 1990 for helping to end the Cold War. The International Committee of the Red Cross has won the award three times in 1917, 1945 and 1963.

http://today.reuters.com/News/newsA...4466552_RTRUKOC_0_US-NOBEL-PEACE-NOMINEES.xml

Maybe Bono will get his recognition this year.

As for bing a nominee, just about anyone can be nominated - the list includes some surprising, not so worthy people.

I Hope Bono wins this Fuc:censored: ing Award.

:wink:

Last edited:
Hmmm it is a toughie Bono verses Geldof - what a choice I mean their equally, brilliantly, passionate at what they do. It's too much of a close call I'd hate to be in the panel

I think Bono will get it one year. The Nobel Peace Prize is more of a "Lifetime Achievement" award. I want Vaclav Havel to win, dammit!!

Soul Love said:
Hmmm it is a toughie Bono verses Geldof - what a choice I mean their equally, brilliantly, passionate at what they do. It's too much of a close call I'd hate to be in the panel

The award is sometimes given jointly.

bugo said:
Honestly I think Bob Geldof deserves it more, He was after all the instigator of Live Aid. Maybe next time though!
Bono's accomplishments for peace involve more than just live 8.. I think he deserves it more:heart:

bugo said:
Honestly I think Bob Geldof deserves it more, He was after all the instigator of Live Aid. Maybe next time though!

Well, Live Aid was over 20 years ago, and Geldof was not solely responsible for Live 8. He in fact had to be persuaded by Bono to join that effort. He did do some work with Blair on the Make Poverty History campaign, but that really doesn't seem Nobel-worthy to me.:shrug:

well, as Bono says, it's an honour to be in this list -- I dunno if he will ever win the Nobel, and I don't know if it's really the case...

At times I have the impression they nominate him just to put the attention on this award....

lady luck said:

At times I have the impression they nominate him just to put the attention on this award....

now, that makes sense! but they would get a whole lot more attention if they actually gave him the award!:madwife:

:eyebrow: Geldof was hardly idle in between Live Aid and Live 8--he's spent much of the intervening two decades traveling back and forth to Africa, lobbying politicians at home and abroad while working with various charities and nonprofits in Africa, where his network of contacts is vast. As he freely admits, being the public face of media campaigns is not his forte, and at any rate, he has nothing like Bono's starpower clout where riveting media attention is concerned. But that doesn't mean he hasn't been very busy on Africa's behalf. For that matter, there are hundreds and hundreds of people out there who have devoted their entire adult lives to alleviating extreme poverty, who will never get named by any newspaper at all. Understandably, most of them will never come to the attention of the Nobel Institute, but it doesn't make their work any less worthy of accolades. It isn't meant to be a who-wields-the-biggest-stick pissing match. If either Bono or Geldof--or both--win this award, it will be and should be as much a testimony to the dedication and sacrifice of all these unsung heroes they represent, support and lobby for as it would be a tribute to their own considerable efforts.

Back
Top Bottom