(02-23-2005) The Boss to Induct U2! -- AP*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
The Boss to Induct U2!

NEW YORK - Bruce Springsteen is returning the favor to Bono. U2's talkative frontman, who gave memorable stream-of-consciousness speeches inducting Bob Marley and Springsteen into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, will be saluted by Springsteen when the Boss inducts U2 next month.

Springsteen's no slouch in the induction speech department himself: He slyly noted last year how inductee Jackson Browne's audience always seemed to be filled with women.

Justin Timberlake will board the "Love Train" to pay tribute to the O'Jays in this year's ceremony. B.B. King and Eric Clapton will team to induct bluesman Buddy Guy, Rod Stewart will speak about "When a Man Loves a Woman" singer Percy Sledge and Neil Young will honor the Pretenders.

The 20th annual ceremony will be held March 14 at the Waldorf Astoria in New York City. Highlights will be televised March 19 on VH1.

--Associated Press

I never would've guessed this. How did U2 influence the Boss? (Then again, how did he influence them?) I would've expected Thom Yorke, Michael Stipe or Christ Martin — bands that were contemporaries of U2 or influenced by U2. The Boss has been around a lot longer than U2. Bruce is a good guy though.

They've got Neil Young inducting The Pretenders. BB King inducting Buddy Guy. I think the whole "you influenced me" thing is over.

Last edited:
Love the idea of Neil Young inducting The Pretenders! Saw The Pretenders supportYoung at together at Jones Beach on Long Island and they' re a great match. Good pic!

THE BOSS first met U2 and took interest in them after a show they played in June 1981 at the end of the tour for BOY! Pimm's A CONCERT DOCUMENTARY has a picture of when they met backstage. Its obvious that the BOSS was one of the very first U2 fans out there.

I'm surprised it wasn't Sting to induct U2...
It seems every time you turn around...Sting & Bono were together
during the 80s era...whether it's fighting humanitarian issues, or
simply performing (with Band Aid), I still think Sting would have been a better choice than The Boss.

But now...VH-1...that's a different story.
They do a great job with the televised event, usually you can watch the whole ceremony ( 3 hours, I think! ) compared to MTV who usually only broadcast an hour of the ceremony, before they go back to their crappy programming...

i think its a fantastic choice, couldnt ask for anyone better than the BOSS. I was expecting Chris Martin myself, but this is better imo.

anyone going to the rock n roll hall of fame for the live broadcast?

:cool: :love: :happy: :applaud: :dancing: :rockon:

I was hoping it would be Bruce, but I was afraid he wouldn't because he just inducted somebody last year (Jackson Browne).

Bruce is a funny, eloquent, amazing speaker, and he's been a fan/friend of the band forever. He will do the guys justice, no doubt about it!

I hope the Boss plugs in for the all-star jam that will surely close the show. Could you imagine Bruce coming in on Pride or One?

Which reminds me: what will U2 play? My guesses are I Will Follow, Where the Streets Have No Name, and One.

Awesome pick. Bruce and U2 are the two best live acts I have seen. Can't wait to see them sing together on the jam session.

ihavefollowed said:
I hope the Boss plugs in for the all-star jam that will surely close the show. Could you imagine Bruce coming in on Pride or One?

Hadn't thought but I'm sure imagining it now!!! This is going to be the BEST Hall of Fame induction ceremony EVER!!!

:rockon:

ihavefollowed said:

That would be fantastic. I was at JFK Stadium in 1987 when Bruce joined the lads onstage to play "Stand By Me"

Hi!

Good choice.

BTW...Bruce is releasing a new CD very soon.......rumors are it will contain some old written material never heard and he may tour solo.

carol
wizard2c

:)

I'm happy with this choice. :yes: :up: And I think the all-star jam is going to be absolutely amazing!!!

I only wish I could be there in person for it.... :sad:

tiny dancer said:
Could not of asked of anybody better than Bruce to induct them!:rockon:

yeah!!
that's great news!
I would have bet van Morrison was to introduce them, but I think the boss will be great!

PEOPLE
I RELLY BELIEVE THAT IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE REMAINING BEATLES WHO SHOULD BE INDUCTING THEM
I MEAN THEREIS NO ONE I MEAN NO ONE WHO CAN EVEN COMPARE THEMSELVES TO THEM
THEY DESERVE NO LESS
I GUESS IT COULD HAVE BEEN WORSE
SPRINGSTEEN IS SOOOO ONE DIMENSIONAL
I JUST DON'T APPRECIATE THE SAME SONGS BEING PLAYED OVER & OVER
SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE BEATLES !!!!!!!
WITH YOKO SEAN AND JULIAN

bonovoxx said:
PEOPLE
I RELLY BELIEVE THAT IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE REMAINING BEATLES WHO SHOULD BE INDUCTING THEM
I MEAN THEREIS NO ONE I MEAN NO ONE WHO CAN EVEN COMPARE THEMSELVES TO THEM
THEY DESERVE NO LESS
I GUESS IT COULD HAVE BEEN WORSE
SPRINGSTEEN IS SOOOO ONE DIMENSIONAL
I JUST DON'T APPRECIATE THE SAME SONGS BEING PLAYED OVER & OVER
SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE BEATLES !!!!!!!
WITH YOKO SEAN AND JULIAN

Urghh...No need to yell, please! :huh:

I really believe Bruce is the right choice to induct U2.

Back
Top Bottom