(02-16-2005) U2 Working On How To Dismantle A Ticket-Scalping Bomb - MTV*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://www.mtv.com/shared/media/news/images/u/u2/sq-larry-grammy-one-on-one.jpg[/SIMG]
U2 Working On How To Dismantle A Ticket-Scalping Bomb

After watching the Grammys, there were several moments that stuck with you. Kanye West's onstage death and resurrection, Green Day's pyro-fueled punk rock, and Alicia Keys and Jamie Foxx's tender tribute to Ray Charles all spring to mind, but it was one of the show's quietest moments that left some people talking loudest.

When U2 took the stage to accept their third Grammy of the evening — for Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group With Vocals (see "Kanye Steals The Show, But Ray Dominates Grammy Winners' Circle") — Bono seemed genuinely shocked. And in a rare inarticulate moment, he had nothing to say. So drummer Larry Mullen stepped to the mic and delivered a hushed, humbled and heartfelt apology to the band's fans.

sq-larry-grammy-one-on-one.jpg

(Photo: MTV News)

"Due to circumstances beyond our control, a lot of our long-suffering fans ... didn't get tickets [to our tour]," he said. "And I'd like to take this opportunity on behalf of the band to apologize for that."

It was the second time in a week that Mullen had taken it upon himself to address what some U2 fans are seeing as the biggest screw-up in the band's almost 30-year history. On February 6, he posted a letter on U2.com, writing in part that "there was a mess-up in the way tickets were distributed through U2.com. ... Some of it was beyond our control, but some of it wasn't."

The ticket snafu began with the January 25 Internet presale for the band's upcoming Vertigo 2005 Tour (see "U2 Finally Announce Tour Dates"). U2's most dedicated fans — members of their fan club, who pay a $40 subscription fee — were supposed to get first crack, but things didn't end up working that way.

Those running the Internet presale didn't rank fan club members according to length of membership when they issued presale access codes. Instead, they randomly issued codes, which opened the door for scalpers who signed up for the fan club just to get in on the presale action. For them, $40 was a small price to pay, especially when tickets to U2's first tour in four years could go for four to five times that on eBay. Needless to say, the scalpers gobbled up tickets, and many longtime fans were left empty-handed.

Mullen was quick to apologize, pledging to hunt down scalpers and offering members a full $40 refund of their subscription fees. But obviously he was still bothered by the way things went down, and when he spoke to MTV News backstage at the Grammys, he took the apology to a whole new level.

"Our audience is very important to us; they've supported us through peaks and troughs and we haven't always made it easy for them. So when something like tickets go astray, and people wait online for hours, and they don't get the seats they want, or they don't get seats at all, it's hard for us," he said. "It's personal, because when you walk down the street, people say 'I tried to go to your concert, but I couldn't go.' So it's not like it's in the background, it's right in your face."

Mullen promised that the band is working hard at fixing the problems that dogged the presale for the spring. He hopes fans will be able to log on with confidence when the presale for the fall North American tour begins, but he can't promise everything will be perfect.

"Next time, we're going to make some changes in the way tickets are distributed. But you know what? We'll never get it right. There's always going to be scalpers, there's always going to be screw-ups," he said. "But we'll certainly not allow what happened this time to happen again. But we can't keep everybody happy all the time. We'd like to, but it's not possible."

— James Montgomery, with reporting by John Norris

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1497040/20050216/u2.jhtml?headlines=true

Last edited:
I think I've said this before but if not I'll say it again. Larry is "da bomb", as the kids say. He's moved himself into the position of my favorite band member in the last 2 weeks.

Exactly...........BRING BACK PROPAGANDA!!!!!!!!!!! Just a modern version of it would work. A form sent out to members via email and then being sent back to them via snail mail or something. Or even something where we have to pick up the tickets via will call. It's not that hard. Just use the database of propaganda members and a certain number of u2.com subscribers and then have a cut off on the number of memberships.. Something along those lines.. just random thoughts...

I love the part where he says "For next time, I'm gonna make some changes... we 're gonna make some changes..."

You can actually see the video on mtv's website!

THANKS LARRY!

Okay, so now that I know the full story of what happened...I'd say that getting upset with the band for this one wouldn't make sense to me, personally, 'cause this ticket ordeal sounds like something that they had little to no part in (which Larry said). Still, very cool of him to apologize for everything that happened, anyway :up: :hug: :larry:. This is a reason why I hold respect for him.

Also, one part of this article just stuck out to me as a rather cool factoid:

in the band's almost 30-year history

Almost 30 years together...wow :).

Angela

U2dork said:
I think I've said this before but if not I'll say it again. Larry is "da bomb", as the kids say. He's moved himself into the position of my favorite band member in the last 2 weeks.
:yes:
It is good knowing that there'll be a next time...

Yes! Line up the former prop members who joined u2.com with discount. Then serve the fans according to membership number. This would be the best way to eliminate most of the scalpers.

Of course, this serves me best. :wink:

Again another apolgy from Larry, which is good as at least they are getting involved.

But and its a big but the only fans will will gain from this are the North American fans on yet another third leg of another tour playing the same venues. Which is fab if you area NA fan but what about all the European fans as it was our pre sale that was much more messed up than the American presale?

Is Europe getting another leg??
NO!!

:|

"[...] we can't keep everybody happy all the time. We'd like to, but it's not possible."

:|

Last edited:
Bono's Tart said:
what about all the European fans as it was our pre sale that was much more messed up than the American presale ?

really?
i think they were pretty equally messed up.
overall, there were more tickets available in europe--in the u.s. a lot of paid members were completely frozen out of a chance to get tickets.
(by the way--i am not arguing with you--just trying to understand).
and i do understand you being put off that the band caters to us in america so much, but i do not think at this point i would bet the house on them touring this fall in the U.S. or anywhere no matter what they are saying right now. i think we should be grateful we are getting any shows at all.

Um....I'd really like to know how the European gigs were even more messed up.

Did you guys wait in line overnight, as Larry alluded to, only to find that the first person in line was the only one able to get ANY tickets at all, , and those only in the back sections? (when before, even the most popular areas like Boston, the first 20-30 people ALWAYS got tickets, and those starting in the good sections?) Did your shows mysteriously sell out within 2 minutes (instead of the usual 15-25 for an arena show....even Boston?) Did you have ONE broker buying up 80% of the GA for JUST ONE SHOW, and another brokers taking the other 19%?

This didn't happen on a handful of the dates, but on EVERY SINGLE ONE, and even more so on the added ones. How do two literally just added shows, that minute, sell out in 3 minutes??? KInda spooky don''t you think??

Your problems with the presale may have been the same, but the general sales, from what I have read, went more smoothly, with the usual timeframe for fast sellouts. Dublin vanished in 10-15 minutes, (the usual timeframe for a fast u2 sellout) NOT one or two. The way the general sale was expected to go here. But it didn't, suggesting that TM is able to get away with coroprate ticket holding on alevel that is still unseen in Europe.

Last edited:
Teta040 said:
Um....I'd really like to know how the European gigs were even more messed up.
Did you guys wait in line overnight, as Larry alluded to, only to find that the first person in line was the only one able to get ANY tickets at all, , and those only in the back sections?

I'm in Europe and I probably won't be able to get a ticket (in any section!) in my own country (they're not for sale to the general public YET!), because there won't probably (although we've been told for sure) be ANY (or very few) for sale!
Who the f:censored:k have they been selling tickets too? (... ...)

I also know some people who have in the past couple of weeks been driving miles and miles to be able to get to one of those tents and stay in line overnight, to hear the guy in the tent saying that there were no more tickets, when he hadn’t sold ANY to those who waited on the line. This is outrageous
I haven't the slightest clue about where there was a bigger mess and I wouldn’t dare guessing. I only care about knowing that the band will do something to change the actual course of things.

Last edited:
caragriff said:

i think we should be grateful we are getting any shows at all.

I'm feeling that way now too; I found the grammys bit really affecting. This has got to be a really really tough time and I just hope they're truly okay for touring...I don't even feel like thinking about what would be "the right" way to handle fall legs, arena tickets, venues, blah blah.
I've never been to a U2 concert, but I've gotten the hints from you all how intense it is. And read/heard the comments from the boys how important playing live is to them. I just hope things go well so that leaving home and family feels right.

Things are just clearly shitty in the concert-ticketing world and they are a huge act with massive appeal so unless there is a very very high level of organization and attention paid to the whole process, the evils of it all will surface bigtime. Larry's comments were just an incredible statement to me, in the context of this industry-wide problem, and very open and personal about the specifics of their situation.

cheers all...

Originally posted by caragriff

i think we should be grateful we are getting any shows at all.

I do too. They don't *have* to do this tour. In fact, I think it's incredible that they are willing to put up with this much hassle and stress to make people happy. Quite frankly if it were me I just might stay home. And like Larry said, it's not possible for them to please everyone. I think they've handled this situation with alot of class, so I really don't have time to read any complaints over the matter now. I find these complaints both childish and *incredibly* cruel. They make my blood boil. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

verte76 said:

I do too. They don't *have* to do this tour. In fact, I think it's incredible that they are willing to put up with this much hassle and stress to make people happy.

I agree. The fact they that have decided to do it is just amazing.
I don't know any other band that would do it under the same circumstances.
:heart: :edge: :bono: :larry: :adam:

Oh God...I am NOT complaining!!!!!!!!!!! I was one of the few people on here trying to garner sympathy for the band, BEFORE the general sales.

So this "people being told that there won't be any onsale, even though the shows aren't announced yet" crap IS happening in Europe too?!?!? Oh, you poor, poor people. We have seen this stuff in the past for other acts, it;s kind of de rigateur, for any event where Ticketmaster is the only one handling the sales. It has become such a scandal that local gov't officials have done investigations into it, after huge public pressure (again, read the now-famous report that has been going around the Net since the sales-www.oag.state.ny.us/press/reports/scalping/exec_summary.html

The big difference between now and the Elvation tour is: in the past, U2 fans have largely escaped this because they deliberatley avoided using TM at all costs. They always chose smaller companies to sell their fan club tix, and left TM for the general sales. TM hainvg many smaller comeditors in the ticket market, they could not have total control and rob people blind, only on a limited basis, but if you read my link (PLEASE do) you'll see how bad it was even then. In the spring of 2002, global behemoth Clear Chennel bought Ticketmaster, which itself had just swallowed old promoter Micheal Cohl's Canadian SFX. TM acuied owenership of all the major venues in NorthAmerica (and now I am guessinf the major venues of Europe too?) and they immediately bought out and destroyed ALL the samller ticket companies. There may be some still out there, but they can't anywhere within shouitng distance of an arena in a major market. So basically, Clear Channel and its lapdog Ticketmaster are the ONLY company in the game.

The changes have been so swift and so sickening that many still don't get it. TM now controls EVERYTHING so there is nothing to stop them from taking however many tickets for their friends as they want. I had no idea they were selling tix in Europe is well and I want to know: JUST HOW THE :censored: DID THEY GET THEIR SLIMY CLAWS INTO YOUR CONTINENT??? If you guys are now saying, "JUst another example of American imperialism", I;d have to agree with you on this!!!

Last edited:
Larry has always been the leader of the band. He stays in the background, but it seems like a lot of the really hard decisions end up being made by him, and the rest of the band look to him to keep them honest. He's quiet, but very opinionated, has very strong convictions, and speaks when he needs to.

He's the father of the band, literally and figuratively.

LostAtMoon said:

I agree. The fact they that have decided to do it is just amazing.
I don't know any other band that would do it under the same circumstances.
:heart: :edge: :bono: :larry: :adam:

Yeah, and I say this as someone who is very unlikely to be able to go to any shows even if they do play Atlanta, which, in fact, they usually do. I can't spend a whole bunch of $$ on this if I want to go to Turkey, which I really do. This is my chance, I'd be a f:censored:g idiot to blow it.

I wish the government would sue Clear Channel for breaking the anti-trust laws. Of course there's no chance of that happening now. They've got their hands in the pocket of every politician in Washington. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Last edited:
verte76 said:
I wish the government would sue Clear Channel for breaking the anti-trust laws. Of course there's no chance of that happening now. They've got their hands in the pocket of every politician in Washington. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Sucks, doesn't it? My dad's made a rant or two about Clear Channel before...they really are a bunch of dipwads.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom