(02-16-2005) Bono Included on Nobel Prize List? -- RTE*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Bono Included on Nobel Prize List?

Bono is believed to be one of 166 candidates listed so far on this year's Nobel Peace Prize list.

Speaking to AFP, the Nobel Institute's Geir Lundestad said: "The number of candidates is not final. We will continue receiving some depending on how fast the postal service works."

The Nobel Institute never reveals the identities of candidates, but those entitled to submit nominations are allowed to disclose their suggestions.

Other names also considered to be possible candidates on the list are former US Secretary of State Colin Powell and Ukraine's President Viktor Yushchenko.

The Nobel Committee's five members can submit their own candidates up until their first meeting of the year on 22 February.

The Nobel Peace Prize winner is announced in mid-October.

--RTE

Is there a better candidate! As much as I admire Gen. Powell (and we're both old Bronx boys), I'm not sure that he's a viable candidate for the PEACE prize. He just spent the past four years acting as the shill for this administration's war mongering act.
Gee, if only there was a fan input option for the voting on this award.

Bono's been up for the prize for many years in a row. I keep thinking he'll win it, just not yet. It'll be a few years off. Of course, last year's winner was kind of a shocker, although well deserving.

I can confirm this.. Saw it on the norwegian state TV channel here today. Also on their website: http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/nobels_fredspris/4516930.html

The favourite this year is of course the new ukranian president.
Among other nominees is Bono, Pope John Paul II, Ravi Shankar (Norah Jones´ father actually!), Colin Powell etc.

Btw, it´s a great honour just to be nomitated... Only heads of state, former heads of state and a few other can nominate people. Who do you think nominatetd Bono? Clinton maybe? Blair?

I don´t think it will be Bonos year this year, but I hope he will get it soon. Who else deserves the biggest peace price in the world than him? Will have to wait to mid-October though...

Keep up the good work B (But remember; ALWAYS at least 50% on U2!)

Last edited:
L03VIk said:

I don´t think it will be Bonos year this year, but I hope he will get it soon. Who else deserves the biggest peace price in the world than him?

Unfortunately, I totally agree. There's no question that eventually Bono will win, but I hate to say that I don't think it will be this year. I agree that the Pope will probably win this year. :no:

I can confirm this. Norwegian state channel NRK had it on the news tonight. Also on the website: http://www.nrk.no/nyheter/nobels_fredspris/4516930.html

The new ukrainian president is the favourite this year...

But it´s an honour just to be nominated. Only heads of state, former heads of state and a few others can nominate people to the prize.

Who do you think nominated Bono? My guess i Clinton(??)

Keep up the good work B! (Just remember to spend >50% of your time on U2!)

Yes, it is quite an honor just to be nominated. I happen to think the Pope will win this year too, and not without reason, considering what he's accomplished, the liberation of the former Warsaw Pact countries in particular. The Nobel Peace Prize is basically a "lifetime achievement" award, and Bono is a bit young for this. He's got plenty of chances left. If he keeps up his work raising awareness of the situation in Africa, there's no doubt in my mind that someday he will be the honoree in Oslo.

This is, what, the 4th year in a row he was nominated? I think the 3rd actualy, and I know he was nominated for the ist time in '98 I think after the Good Fri agreement...of course, they have a prejudice against entertainers, but Bono is a unique case.

The prize is generally not given to anybody who hasn't spent at least a decade fighting for whatever they win for. Sometimes, as with Mandela, Mother Theresa, etc, it takes up a good portion of their lives. This would actually apply to Bono's case, if you are crowning him for all the cumulative work he's done over the yrs, for various causes--starting with Ethiopia in 1985. But if you were stricly going by his recent "large-scale" lobbying for DATA related things, that's only 5-6 yrs.

I supose if you get nominated enough, you're bound to win...it's like the OScars, I hope. There are very few serial OScar losers...Marty and Peter O Toole being the awardless few.

Actually, another guy I wouldn't mind seeing get it this year would be Vaclav Havel; he's been nominated about a gazillion times and is again this year. For Bono it's not "if" it's "when".

Actually, Verte, if Havel hasn't gotten it, then it doesn't look good for Bono.:( Getting jailed for years for your beliefs, and physically suffering a great deal in the process (I've read his "Letters to Olga") seems to be a prime requisite for many of the winners. You have to suffer persecution of some sort. This is true both of this years' and last years' winner. (Quick: Yanks: name this years' winner! Hopefully you remember who she was, if not her name! Because she was on the news for maybe 24 hours after the announcement, and her name has vanished from the nation's media ever since. Dubya reportedly was VERY unahppy with the choice. Hm..maybe he was worried that honoring an African environmentalist who was jailed for planting trees would bring attention to his policies?)

If you haven't spent a large chunk of your life being persecuted by a repressive government, winners generally fall into two other categories: heads of state or leaders of warring groups who sign a long hoped-for peace treaty, or someone who has started an organization that has been around for at least a decade and has produced tangible results. (Which is why it beats me why Bono wasn't the 3rd person to win in '98, after the other 2 guys won?) DATA would have to become as large and respected as Doctors Without Borders for this to happen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom