(02-15-2005) U2 Refuses to 'Endorse' Blair -- contactmusic*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
U2 Refuses to "Endorse" Blair

Irish rockers U2 have moved to distance themselves from British Prime Minister TONY BLAIR - after one of their hits was played during his LABOUR PARTY's spring conference.

The Labour leader strode out onto the stage in Gateshead, England yesterday (12FEB05) while U2 hit BEAUTIFUL DAY was played.

But, despite recently praising the work Blair has done to combat poverty in Africa, Bono is keen not to associate himself too closely to the ruling party.

A spokesperson says, "We are flattered they like our tune but this is not an official endorsement of the Labour Party."

--contactmusic

Okay, maybe this isn't the place to do this, but I gotta ask what is the deal with politicians using Beautiful Day as stagesong/intros/theme music?!

I mean, I love the song, and yeah it says "It's a beautiful day", up cheery kinda message, but what...do the political powersthatbe think that the rest of the lyrics indicate some sort of optimistic vision they'd like to be associated with?!
If so, then they've done a very deep analysis because on the face of it I'd not want to be humming about the tuna fleets clearing the sea out and the oil fields at first light...

hmmm...I gotta be missing something...

Back
Top Bottom