(02-09-2005) Phenomenal Demand in Mayo for U2 Concert Tickets -- Western People*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Phenomenal Demand in Mayo for U2 Concert Tickets

By: Orla Hearns

Ticketmaster agents in Ballina and Castlebar had an early start last Friday, February 4.

Hotshot Records, O’Rahilly St, Ballina, and Downtown Records, Main St, Castlebar, opened their doors to hundreds of U2 fans at 8.00am that morning. Some of them had been queuing all night in the hope of purchasing tickets for U2’s eagerly anticipated Vertigo tour dates in Dublin’s Croke Park next June.

Tickets for the two scheduled gigs on Friday, June 24 and Saturday, June 25 sold out nationwide within less than an hour. In Mayo the uptake was phenomenal. Both stores had exhausted the ticket reserves within about half an hour.

Marie Flynn, Proprietor, Downtown Records, Castlebar, told the Western People, that the demand for Vertigo tickets was the greatest she has witnessed as a Ticketmaster agent.

“The demand was extremely big. This is one of the biggest gigs we have sold. We could have sold the same amount of tickets again this morning if we had them,” she said.

Marie passed her shop on Thursday night, February 4, at 10.30pm and there were approximately 30 people queuing outside. When she arrived there the following morning at 6.30am the queue was half way down Main Street.

In Ballina, people began to queue on O’Rahilly St at around 2.30am. Mick Leonard, Proprietor of Hotshot Records, estimates that he sold in the region of 300 tickets between 8.00am and 8.35am.

But everything went smoothly: “U2 fans are usually very mature. Everyone was cool and fairly orderly. Unfortunately we had to disappoint a lot of people,” Michael said.

He said the majority of customers opted to purchase the maximum per person quota of six tickets. “I think a third gig is in the pipeline so I hope people stay tuned for that announcement,” Michael said.

The Vertigo tickets were priced at E61.50 for standing, and E72 and E82 for seated. The two scheduled gigs amounted to a total of 160,000 tickets which sold out nationwide within 50 minutes.

--Western People

Back
Top Bottom