(02-08-2007) Noel Gallagher Attacks U2's Bono Humanitarian Efforts - AHN*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Noel Gallagher Attacks U2's Bono Humanitarian Efforts

By Maira Oliveira

London, England (BANG) - Noel Gallagher recently told Bono to "shut the f**k up" about Africa. However, it seems like Noel should be the one to shut his trap and quit moaning and griping.

The Oasis guitarist is sick of the U2 frontman campaigning to end Third World debt in the continent, and insists Bono's fans don't want to be constantly lectured by their idol.

Noel told Britain's Daily Telegraph newspaper, "With U2 it's like play 'One', shut the f**k up about Africa. People don't want to hear about it all the time."

The outspoken songwriter has also blasted Radiohead frontman Thom Yorke for brow-beating his fans with his political beliefs. He has urged him to ditch his serious attitude to music and write a "proper" rock song.

He said: "Thom Yorke sat at a piano singing, 'This is f***ed up', for half-an-hour. We all know that, Mr. Yorke. Who wants to sing the news? No matter how much you sit there twiddling, going, 'We're all doomed', at the end of the day people will always want to hear him play 'Creep.' Get over it."

Noel - who along with brother Liam and the rest of the band will collect the prestigious Outstanding Contribution To Music award at next week's BRITs - has no intention to stop writing hit songs.

The rocker - whose band has scored an incredible eight U.K. number singles, including "Lyla" and "Don't Look Back In Anger" - added, "Somehow I don't ever see myself on stage playing a mouth organ to 150 people on a Wednesday. Every time I write a song, I envisage them in football stadiums with loads of people going f***ing mental - that's Oasis."

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7006398977

The Gallagher bros mouthing off at competition to get publicity. What else is new?

Pathetic. The guy should mind his own business. I don't think he can speak for millions of other people and can tell what an audience wants and does not want to hear. What humanitarian efforts does he has to offer? I am tired of people running their mouth about other people to gain publicity.

ahh man I love those 2 no matter how many times they talk about other bands. They're usually quite drunk when they say this stuff, I wonder how much of it they actually mean.

I think it's called jealousy. Bono does so much to save others, he really want to help other people, and he's a good person. Noel obviously doesn't care for much except himself, and feel bad about that.

Yeah, right... Noel Gallagher is the one to shut the f*ck up, he has no right speaking for others. Who doesn't even agree with him.

Well, I think he is right....I cant stand Bonos speeches anymore. He could be more diplomatic about how he says it, but if he was diplomatic about it, it wouldnt have the same punch.

Although Noel hasnt written a ton of hits either lately. I know he thinks Oasis is the beatles, but there not

I agree with Noel to a point. I honestly don't want to hear a 10 minute lecture by Bono. I love the song "One" but whenever the opening notes would start, I would just think "OH FUCK.... here comes the lecture." I respect Bono for the charity work he does, I honestly do admire that. And I think that part of the problem is that the press reports every little thing Bono does for his cause. At a time like this, we're obviously going to hear more about Bono's political exploits than about U2, because U2 have downshifted into quiet mode again. I think it annoys people because that's all they hear about when they hear about Bono. So basically, I appreciate what Bono does, but cut the 10 minute lecture out of the concerts, and replace it with a 10 minute version of "Bad".

And as for Noel Gallagher... I can't be mad at him. He's bluntly and rudely telling the truth, which is his way. As long as he sticks to writing stadium shaking epics (at least in Britian) then he's ok in my book.

^^^Well said.

The Oasis guitarist is sick of the U2 frontman campaigning to end Third World debt in the continent, and insists Bono's fans don't want to be constantly lectured by their idol.

You should always take Noel with a bit of grain of salt but this time I think he's speaking truthfully. And I for one, unfortunately, have to agree with him. Is there anybody on this forum that does as well?

I mean no where in my contract as a fan of U2 do I also have to like a certain members personal agenda. I'm not against it, and do think it's noble, but I'm only interested in the music of U2. I've come across alot of fans that agree.

I agree with him

sure, he says things really hard, but.. thats the reality sometimes...

also about Thom yorke

also, the headline is a lot worse than the actual thing Noel said...

What, is there a new Oasis album coming?:wink:

Ya'll do realize that not even Noel can get Bono to "shut up", right? (nor can fans who disagree w/ his "lectures" either)

The_acrobat said:
I agree with Noel to a point. I honestly don't want to hear a 10 minute lecture by Bono. I love the song "One" but whenever the opening notes would start, I would just think "OH FUCK.... here comes the lecture." I respect Bono for the charity work he does, I honestly do admire that. And I think that part of the problem is that the press reports every little thing Bono does for his cause. At a time like this, we're obviously going to hear more about Bono's political exploits than about U2, because U2 have downshifted into quiet mode again. I think it annoys people because that's all they hear about when they hear about Bono. So basically, I appreciate what Bono does, but cut the 10 minute lecture out of the concerts, and replace it with a 10 minute version of "Bad".

And as for Noel Gallagher... I can't be mad at him. He's bluntly and rudely telling the truth, which is his way. As long as he sticks to writing stadium shaking epics (at least in Britian) then he's ok in my book.

Well put
Live forever

Bono: continue with the talk, take 1/2 hour if you want:bow:
Africa is on the news, people are talking about it, in a big way because of you
You'll become Africa's greatest icon in 100 years time
It's a shame people and some U2 fans dont fucking care at all

:wave:

Noel's the man. The whole interview had me laughing my ass off, especially what he said about Yorke. Don't really agree with him, but that's the way he is so its all good.

I would expect a comment like that from Liam but Noel? I thought he and Bono were friends :confused:

Bono's always been a talker - people are only getting sick of it now?!?
He's not going to change....(thank God!)

If Noel and some U2 fans are sick of "hearing" about how bad Africa has it, TOO BAD!
Bono speaks for those that don't have a voice. Many of us as U2 fans have heard Bono's countless speeches about poverty, debt and HIV, and done something about it, but the problems are still there. Bono knows that the solution begins with getting everyone educated about Africa's problems and then motivating them to action.
If you don't like hearing his "lectures," find a different band, or better yet donate some time or money and help try to end Africa's problems.
They don't get to forget about their problems, and as long as you're a U2 fan, neither will you.

Mark

I think it's great what Bono is doing, but I can see how some people would get annoyed by it.

It seems to me that the Gallaghers say whatever is on their minds. Probably drunk. :drunk:

I agree that the Gallaghers are just the Gallaghers. I don't think anyone takes them too seriously. Didn't one of them used to go and sit at the other's shows and scream obscenities at his brother from the audience?

As for Bono talking about Africa, well, I would probably get fed up if he was yammering on about recycling juice cartons or something. Honestly, though, I can't knock the man for speaking out on behalf of millions of dying people - yes, he repeats himself, but I just can't say I want him to be quiet because hearing about millions of people starving to death bores some people. I understand that some people will disagree, but that just my POV.

Hey Noel? Noel who? Shut the fuck up!

LOL

Given that Oasis is mindless crap and not even in the same stratosphere as U2, both he and Liam can take a flying fucking leap.

Their songs are utter shite, who even cares about Oasis anymore anyways?

I personally admire and am inspired by Bono's work and his speeches so they do serve their purpose.

That said, I can understand where the great Noel Gallagher (another admirable chap) is coming from.

And i swear, at the Melbourne gig, after the high that is Streets, I sensed that there existed this "hurry up and get on with it" kind
of sentiment amongst others at the gig. Like everyone was just waiting for One to start and waiting for his speech to finish. I mean, they had heard it all before in form or another (mainly through the Chicago DVD), so why hear it again. They couldn't start booing or telling him to hurry up, it's just rude, but they'd certainly rather Bono not do his little soap-box about Africa thing.

Politicans and businessmen and nepotised people (such as Royals) barely do anything to save the world, and why should it be up to rock stars to save the world. Thumbs up to Bono for stepping up to the plate, but there is not necesarilly anything wrong or false about what Noel is feeling or that he doesn't really do anything.

Back
Top Bottom