(02-08-2006) U2 Night at the Grammys! - Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
U2 Night at the Grammys!

Well, our boys did it again.

After a night of explosively emotional performances of "Vertigo" and "One" with Mary J. Blige, U2 picked up awards in each category it was nominated in. To recap, the wins for "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" are as follows:

*Album of the Year
*Best Rock Album
*Song of the Year for "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own"
*Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocal for "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own"
*Best Rock Song for "City Of Blinding Lights"

*And of course, our other man, Steve Lillywhite, was victorious in the Production, Non-Classical category for his work with U2 and pop singer Jason Mraz.

Find photos of the night from Yahoo here.

U2.com covers the Grammys here and here and here.

Also, check out this special Grammy Auction to bid on stuff signed by our guys and other music notables.

A million congrats to U2. We love you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Some interesting comments made by Bono in the first acceptance speech, but very sincere nonetheless. The circus reference was a little hard to follow there for a moment. Anyone want to give it a shot at explaining the elephant dung reference? :scratch: Anywho... still just :heart: Bono and the band. When looking at their music and lyrics there is just nobody to compare them with in my book.

I loved the Edge's acceptance speech, so sincere too! And watching him play with Dr. John and all the others at the end for New Orleans musicians, WOW. You could see he was just beaming!

Adam SPOKE!!!! yeah........i'm still trying to get over that one!! That was amazing! And then it seems to me Larry got cut off!! :no: How could they!!!!

CONGRATS U2!!! You keep rocking the world, and certainly rock mine!! Can't wait to hear what's coming next. Your music inspires me every day. :up:

I am SO DAMN PROUD to be a U2 fan especially tonite! To share in the glory and excitement of these guys sweeping the show tonite winning all 5 nominations. Absolutely amazing, wonderful performances as usual...interesting speeches. My only comment is why'd they cut Larry off? That was VERY rude!

VIVA U2!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just heard and saw U2 this morning on the news here in Finland! Congrats to our lads!!:heart: :edge: :bono: :larry: :adam: :heart: Unfortunately we won't get to see the show until next month.:yell: Although we usually have to wait 1 or 2 weeks, at least, before we get to see it here but I suspect the reason for the extra delay is coz the Winter Olympics starts this weekend! No fair!!:scream:

Am I the only one who feels that Bono was angry or upset about something. He just didn't seem like his normal self. I thought he drunk at first, but......I don't know something was off....

What a whole lotta love!!!

Congrats to the guys!!

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooo happy

Congrats guys!! :applaud:

I am SO happy they won all 5 awards! I didn't expect that, but it was very exciting!!

Like Carek, I'm definitely proud to be a U2 fan tonight!!

:heart: :bono: :larry: :adam: :edge: :heart:

happy-biggrin.gif

some headlines here - some are pretty funny

http://www.topix.net/entertainment?full=43f59ec355

Various headlines (go to the site for each 'story')

U2 Upstages Carey With Five Grammy ...

U2 Upstages Carey With Five Grammy Awards

U2 upstages Carey with five Grammy Awards

Carey, U2 and Kanye Win Grammy Awards

Carey, U2 and Kanye win snag Grammy Awards

Carey, Clarkson and West snag Grammys

Carey, West and Clarkson win Grammys

Carey rebounds, but U2 top of the heap

Wild, wild West wins Grammys

U2 wins a Grammy?

U2 steals Mariah's thunder

Carey's thunder stolen

U2 dominate Grammys

Carey, U2 and Kanye Win Three Grammys

Carey ends drought, but U2 owns night

Get Your Grammy Winners

Mariah Carey ends drought at Grammys

By SANDY COHEN
AP Entertainment Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Grammy night belonged to U2, but Bono and the boys recalled that hasn't always been the case.

"We've been here and lost on some of our most important albums. We've been at the other end of this, too," the U2 frontman said after the group walked away with five awards Wednesday, including the coveted album of the year trophy for "How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb."

Bono noted the group was particularly disappointed that its 1991 album, "Achtung Baby," didn't fare better. Drummer Larry Mullen said reaction to 1997's "Pop" was another disappointment.

"After the 'Pop' record, things like this actually mean something," Mullen said.

With 20 Grammys and counting, guitarist The Edge was asked if the awards certify the group as the greatest band in the world.

"I think we are tonight," he replied.

Karros said:
Am I the only one who feels that Bono was angry or upset about something. He just didn't seem like his normal self. I thought he drunk at first, but......I don't know something was off....

I got the same feeling.. as i was translating his speech to my mom, she asked what the circus thing meant, and i told her he must have been upset at someone's comments or something..

I was so exited though, i'm so proud of my band!!!:hug: i hope they had a great celebration party!!!

I was sooooooo happy for the guys!! I must admit, couple of the awards they received, took me by surprise (not that I didn't think they deserved to win, it's just that with all the Mariah Carey hoopla, I thought she was gonna take the best song/best album). I was VERY proud to be a U2 fan last night.... GREAT JOB GUYS!!

i knew it, said it.....now i love it
what a legendary band, best band ever:bow:
Congratulations boys, there's no way we could be more proud to be a U2 fan:drool: :drool:

Karros said:

like i said earlier, i thought his first acceptance speech was really odd. Obviously something was going on. Some people think he was tipsy, but looking at his other performances and speeches I don't think so.

Way to go U2 you guys sooooo deserved all of your awards! :hug: :hyper: Was extremely nervous as I waited for the winners to be announced in their categories. Couldn't be even prouder to be a U2 fan than I already am! Keep up the great work guys! Know the next album will be just as incredible!

By the way I noticed too that Bono didn't seem his normal self. He seemed fine during the performances but with his speeches he didn't seem right.

WOW...congratulations...I thought Mariah would have gotten at least one of the two (Record/Song), but I'm so glad U2 got it!

Back
Top Bottom