(02-03-2005) An open letter from Larry Mullen - U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
An open letter from Larry Mullen

This is not something that I would normally do, but I feel that I have to do something to redress this situation.

There was a mess up in the way the tickets were distributed through U2.com for the Vertigo pre-sale. Some of it was beyond our control, but some of it wasn't.

I am now in the process of figuring out a way of distributing the tickets for our intended return to North America in the fall. The only fair way of doing this, is to give U2 Propaganda members, who are now U2.com members, priority in the queue.

After that, people will be given priority in the order in which they joined. Many people who joined U2.com and didn't get tickets are understandably angry. They now have the option to get a full refund of their subscription fee.

The idea that our long-time U2 fans and scalpers competed for U2 tickets through our own web site is appalling to me. I want to apologise to you who have suffered that.

If your U2.com pre-sale experience has left you disappointed, I hope this will go some way towards reassuring you of our total commitment to our audience.

Slainte
Larry.

By the way, a note to those so-called U2 fans who are quick to accuse U2 of unseemly behaviour, I've only got two words for you...

Click here for information on a refund.

http://www.u2.com/news/index.php?mode=full&news_id=1318

Well, w/o actually saying it, but inferring it... he just told a few of the larger U2 websites to 'fuck off' (again, assuming thats what he intended to say at the end). I'm curious to see reaction to this.

I am taking a friend to see U2 for the first time and was just explaining to him that Larry is the conscience in the band. This is nice. However, as a former Prop member who was told my subscription "lapsed" and never got "the letter," it still bothers me that no one will acknowledge that there is a whole group of Prop members who were cut out. It's like we don't exist and no one will just say "I hear you, I'm sorry, there's nothing we can do, your data was lost." So now I am farther down the queue as a result, while some members who just joined U2.com will be ahead of me. I guess there is no perfect solution.

But, gotta love Larry. :heart:

EVERYONE IS GOING TO GET SCREWED...Cool Letter, Larry is the man...but I'm sure there are thousands of people just like me---Hard Core U2 fans that did not join u2.com BECAUSE I REALIZED IT WAS A JOKE. There was no way they could guarantee thousands of people that signed up, a limited number of presale tickets. SO I DIDN"T JOIN, NOT BECAUSE I'M ANY LESS A U2 FAN, BUT BECAUSE THE COST BENEFIT HEAVILY WEIGHTED ON COST... So now theat they realize what MANY of us realized at the beginning of this whole process...they are going to go ahead and reward (please no offense) the people that signed up in a cattle herd like fashion without thinking the logistics out. So now all the folks like me sounds like are going to be screwed for the second north american leg cause we didn't sign up for WHAT WE KNEW WAS GOING TO BE A WASTE OF 40 BUCKS.

Elvis said:
Well, w/o actually saying it, but inferring it... he just told a few of the larger U2 websites to 'fuck off' (again, assuming thats what he intended to say at the end). I'm curious to see reaction to this.

I ,for one ,agree totally with Larry's letter ending note.The mud that the band members received from the so call fans was absolutely way off base.

For god sake,there are fans who are actually encouraging people for making t-shirt and bashing the band members by wearing the t-shirts infront of Bono,Larry,Adam and The Edge at the gig or outside the venues.Making look the guys like they really wanted to rip off their fans.

Totally understand Larry's frustration.

Last edited:
AWESOME!!!! My faith in the band is completely restored. And the U2 fansites should not take this as a slight. If it were not for the courageous work of Interference, atu2, U2log, etc. to push this issue into the forefront, changes would not have been made (and perhaps the band itself would not have been made aware of the issue).

People were angry, and rightfully so, but some of the venum spewed by supposedly loyal fans deserves Larry's rebuke. Thank you Larry!!!!

i think the letter is perfect. they screwed up, they're sorry, they will do their best to make it up to you. if that's not good enough for you, you can get your money back. and if you insist on spewing venom at them for the screw up, he's telling you to F Off. i don't think he's telling people who were upset or reasonable to F Off, those are the people whose anger he says he understands. i think the F Off is clearly directed at the people who went off the deep end in their hate-filled response to the situation.

So wait a minute Larry, does this now mean that ex prop members who bought crappy seats because that's all there was, will still get another chance on the the third leg? Didn't U2.com tell us a few days ago that we only got priority for only one show?

Elvis said:

I don't think you're getting the point. It not a question of the fans complaining and making a big stink about what happen.

Its a question of those fans who instantly questioned the bands integrity regarding what happened. Claiming it was just about the money, that the band couldn't give a shit, that the band did this on purpose.

That's who he is referring to. Personally, I don't think Interference (the website, not the actual members) was too guilty of that. I didn't read any editorials on this site, just a lot of reposting of news articles being released on the situation.

Honestly, there were a lot of other fan sites which did choose to editorialize, too quickly, in my opinion. They never gave the band a chance. The bottom line is the problem took place on the 25th of January with the very first presales. Things started turning around with every other presale and we're only at February 3rd, just over a week after this happened with an actual statement from the band, (I consider Larry making a statement as one on behalf of all of them).

I think the staff of some other fan sites could have had just a little more patience before starting to question the band's intentions.

I understand Larry's frustration, and I disagree with people on this site calling for boycotts and printing up T-shirts. The anger won't last and then they'll be stuck with a $15 t-shirt printed with a cause they don't even support in the long run.

However, Larry could have been more polite...then again he is a pretty direct guy.

I must admit I wanted to express that sentiment since last Tuesday to some fans here, and on other websites. So, fair play to Larry!

:up: Very cool. I was thinking about the whole thing just a few minutes ago, wondering how each of them would respond...and Larry was the one I thought of as the concience of the band and the righter of wrongs. I wasn't expecting an e-mail titled "An Open Letter from Larry Mullen!

ramblin rose said:

I don't think you're getting the point. It not a question of the fans complaining and making a big stink about what happen.

Its a question of those fans who instantly questioned the bands integrity regarding what happened. Claiming it was just about the money, that the band couldn't give a shit, that the band did this on purpose.

That's who he is referring to. Personally, I don't think Interference (the website, not the actual members) was too guilty of that. I didn't read any editorials on this site, just a lot of reposting of news articles being released on the situation.

Honestly, there were a lot of other fan sites which did choose to editorialize, too quickly, in my opinion. They never gave the band a chance. The bottom line is the problem took place on the 25th of January with the very first presales. Things started turning around with every other presale and we're only at February 3rd, just over a week after this happened with an actual statement from the band, (I consider Larry making a statement as one on behalf of all of them).

I think the staff of some other fan sites could have had just a little more patience before starting to question the band's intentions.

perfectly said, you took the words out of my mouth

cmullenjr said:
EVERYONE IS GOING TO GET SCREWED...Cool Letter, Larry is the man...but I'm sure there are thousands of people just like me---Hard Core U2 fans that did not join u2.com BECAUSE I REALIZED IT WAS A JOKE. There was no way they could guarantee thousands of people that signed up, a limited number of presale tickets. SO I DIDN"T JOIN, NOT BECAUSE I'M ANY LESS A U2 FAN, BUT BECAUSE THE COST BENEFIT HEAVILY WEIGHTED ON COST... So now theat they realize what MANY of us realized at the beginning of this whole process...they are going to go ahead and reward (please no offense) the people that signed up in a cattle herd like fashion without thinking the logistics out. So now all the folks like me sounds like are going to be screwed for the second north american leg cause we didn't sign up for WHAT WE KNEW WAS GOING TO BE A WASTE OF 40 BUCKS.

How is it you have been screwed exactly? If you didn't join, then what were you expecting, but to try for tickets thru ticketbastard? :eyebrow:

Johnovox said:
AWESOME!!!! My faith in the band is completely restored. And the U2 fansites should not take this as a slight. If it were not for the courageous work of Interference, atu2, U2log, etc. to push this issue into the forefront, changes would not have been made (and perhaps the band itself would not have been made aware of the issue).

People were angry, and rightfully so, but some of the venum spewed by supposedly loyal fans deserves Larry's rebuke. Thank you Larry!!!!

:applaud:

The fan club is acting like a fan club again. U2.com has recognized the problems in the pre-sale and taken solid steps to correct it.

It was even better to get one of the band members to reach out to the fans in this process.

The idea that our long-time U2 fans and scalpers competed for U2 tickets through our own web site is appalling to me. I want to apologise to you who have suffered that.

As much as I'd like to believe this, I'm a little bit skeptical, and that should be expected since we've already been misled once.

The 'thing' in this letter that makes me suspicious is that the word "apolgise" has been improperly spelled on every U2.com news bulletin that has come out since the presale, so I'm wondering if (a) Larry was dictating to the PR folks at U2.com (b) U2.com's PR folks issued a statement and used his name.

For the record: the correct spelling is "apologize".

I really hope things work out. As for the last line of the letter.....my response is this: If we didn't care we wouldn't have made a big deal about it. When we don't do this is when the members of U2 have to worry, because it means that we don't care anymore. We truly believe that they are worth the effort and if we didn't, we wouldn't have spoken up like we did.

Good Job Larry!

That last quote in his letter made me laugh and I really wanted to tell quite a lot of U2 fans out there (who are ranting and venting how they're "sell outs", personally insulting them how they changed over the years, swearing at them etc. etc.) those two words and I'm sure you know what they are

(Hint: One is a four letter word that starts with "F" and the latter is a three letter word and starts with "O" -- fill in the blanks for me)

My patience was getting very thin as I saw these "open letters" to U2 and criticize every mistake they made. :banghead: It got me more angry than the people who are upset about the pre-sales problem. I didn't want to defend U2 with these letters because I know I'd be dealing with impatient hot-heads and create new enemies out of this whole fiasco. But the bottom line is, we're all human and we all make mistakes, regardless of who you are. Life goes on and the world is still turning.

I do feel for the U2 fans out there who are upset and did not get what they wanted during the pre-sale. But I personally find it very upsetting that I see these (as quoted from Larry) "so-called U2 Fans" bashing the band like this. I'am upset the fact that U2 didn't plan to come near my area this spring but I did not go out and rant and bash at them for their lack of tour dates.

In conclusion to this, I just want to say that I've always had faith in U2 and always will. I'm very happy that Larry wrote the letter to reassure all the fans out that they're still committed to their fans.

The world did not end folks. It only will end when the fat-lady sings.

Just my two cents

Re: Re: (02-03-2005) An open letter from Larry Mullen - U2.com*

Macphisto2005 said:

For the record: the correct spelling depends on where you come from.

Macphisto2005 said:

For the record, both spellings are correct.

edit: sorry, posted the same time as Ramblin Rose

Macphisto2005 said:

"apologize"and "apologise" are synonyms.

apologise

acknowledge faults or shortcomings or failing; "I apologized for being late"; "He apologized for the many typoes" [syn: apologize]

(http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=apologise)
Cigar said:

I ,for one ,agree totally with Larry's letter ending note.The mud that the band members received from the so call fans was absolutely way off base.

For god sake,there are fans who are actually encouraging people for making t-shirt and bashing the band members by wearing the t-shirts infront of Bono,Larry,Adam and The Edge at the gig or outside the venues.Making look the guys like they really wanted to rip off their fans.

Totally understand Larry's frustration.

Could't agree more.Way to go Larry!:applaud:

Last edited:
good call, least he apologises unlike Tony Blair, although it was pretty much a necessity considering what has gone on, so i wouldnt go all lovey dovey over him for doing it, they are men with millions of quids.

I think what some people, including Larry, may not realize is the reason why such a big deal was made out of the presale fiasco is because this was just one more thing to happen to fan club members. First, Propaganda ceased publication but members were not notified, nor given the chance to get a refund for unfulfilled subscriptions. When the Propaganda book came out, subscribers were not notified and also were not given the chance to order the book early or get a discount on the book, which would have been the sporting thing to do. Then when U2 finally officially announced that Propaganda was over and would be moving online, many former subscribers did not get their discount codes. Some, after many calls and e-mails, did get their codes (myself included) and joined U2.com for $20 but others didn't and joined for the full price, never getting a straight answer if they'd be refunded their $20 or not. And there's also been the messes with Zootopia launching, being scrapped, being redesigned and on and on.

I just think this presale was a bit like, "Oh Lord, now what?" for Propaganda subscribers and general U2 fans who've already been feeling a little put out, at least that's how I've felt with all this. I do sincerely appreciate that this presale issue has finally been addressed by a member of the band but I think there needs to be some understanding that the presale wasn't the only thing that was screwed up, as well.

Thank you, Larry. The band has been very quiet over the last few weeks, which surprised me. Of course they know what's been going on--I just think they wanted to take some time to assess the situation and let people's tempers cool down.

U2.com screwed up, both by underestimating demand and by letting scalpers pose as fans and buy tickets. But I think they've certainly learned their lesson, and I for one have faith that ticket sales in the fall will be a lot smoother, since they'll be playing a lot more dates, and because (hopefully) the kinks will be worked out of presale.

That said, I'm still not coughing up forty bucks to join. I did very well in the general sale this time. I'll save that cash for tour souvenirs...

Macphisto2005 said:

The 'thing' in this letter that makes me suspicious is that the word "apolgise" has been improperly spelled on every U2.com news bulletin that has come out since the presale, so I'm wondering if (a) Larry was dictating to the PR folks at U2.com (b) U2.com's PR folks issued a statement and used his name.

Never been outside the US, have you, mate?

I like it when people admit their mistakes and take their responsabilities for it. Nice and easy Larry!

By the way, is Larry involved in this fanclub business? I knew that one member was involved in planning of stuff (it seems he really is getting bored with drumming btw).

Anyway i cant complain i have my tickets and the people must be feeling sick that didnt get them this way i can fully understand it and i dont really think the 'fuck off' was really that right, but hey its rock n roll.

I wonder whether if those people have to return their u2 membership card which would be a pitty LOL. I received it yesterday and i dont know why they made an effort of these membership card, omg. We might expect another apologize of one of the members the coming days for it.

:laugh:

Enjoy the show people, wherever you go!
:wink: :ohmy: :ohmy:

cmullenjr said:
...So now theat they realize what MANY of us realized at the beginning of this whole process...they are going to go ahead and reward (please no offense) the people that signed up in a cattle herd like fashion without thinking the logistics out. So now all the folks like me sounds like are going to be screwed for the second north american leg cause we didn't sign up for WHAT WE KNEW WAS GOING TO BE A WASTE OF 40 BUCKS.

I signed up for the "new" U2 fan club because I think U2 is the greatest band ever, and I loved being a Prop. member! I really can't believe SSSOOO many people signed up just to get pre-order tickets and not because they wanted to be part of the U2 FanClub. I'm a die hard U2 FAN, and I can't WAIT to see what U2 will do in the future with U2.com members at U2.com.

"WE KNEW WAS GOING TO BE A WASTE OF 40 BUCKS" :rolleyes: It's also really funny to hear this bitching since I only paid $20 for my membership. :madspit:

This is exactly what needed to happen - U2 needed to speak out on this and they have.

Thank you so much for breaking the silence...finally.

Back
Top Bottom