(02-03-2005) An open letter from Larry Mullen - U2.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good job, Larry! I can't belive so many fans were so quick to turn against the band. (I started a thread about my opinion of all this, but it seems to have disappeared...) If you think about it, it HAS been only nine days since "Bloody Tuesday"! And I was just thinking the other day about how much patience one needs when one is a U2 fan. How ironic.

Shame on the ones who turned against the band by proposing nasty t-shirts and whatever else! Now we know who the REAL fans are around here.

P.S. - What does "Slainte" mean? Is it Gaelic?

Last edited:
Rachel D. said:
Good job, Larry! I can't belive so many fans were so quick to turn against the band. (I started a thread about my opinion of all this, but it seems to have disappeared...) If you think about it, it HAS been only nine days since "Bloody Tuesday"! And I was just thinking the other day about how much patience one needs when one is a U2 fan. How ironic.

Shame on the ones who turned against the band by proposing nasty <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=t%20shirts" onmouseover="window.status='t-shirts'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">t-shirts</a> and whatever else! Now we know who the REAL fans are around here.

P.S. - What does "Slainte" mean? Is it Gaelic?

Yeah, "Slainte" is Gaelic for "To your health"

Totally agree with Mr. Mullen :yes:

I was voicing sentiments similar to his last week and got royally trashed for my comments.

No biggie - I'm just glad that U2 (at least Larry) feels the same as I did!

I support U2 100%! :wink:

Glad to hear a member of the band acknowledge the problems many of us have had...and that those of us who were Propaganda members and didnt get any tickets this time will hopefully get first dibs this fall.
Time to resurrect Propaganda...we still need and want them!

Last edited:
Larry was the perfect choice to write the letter of apology -- the member who avoids the spotlight the most. And the last line was perfect, although I'm sure there was resistance by all other parties involved to post it like that.

Glad they let go like that, though.

Um..well..should I say this?

I know it is the real thing.

I go to my inbox this morning, and there are 300+ emails, and one of them was a reply from Larry to the long essay I wrote yesterday. He was replying to the same piece I sent Elvis, which I had posted on the U2NYC list.

Yup, I wrote that, and I sent that to Elvis, as well as many other sites, and he--Larry-- began the email "FOR TC." (I was on my way to work this morning and didn't have time to read it all---I was over the moon. LARDENCE? REPLIED? TO SOMETHING I WROTE??? How long can you keep a message in your folders? For the rest of your life???????) Dang it, I tried to transfer it intact to another folder just now and there's some funny "tsn" in the title and it looks different when I open it up from my other emails..)

Wha t does "tsn" mean anyway? Does this mean it'll disappear in 24 hrs? Please no...

At least we know where he is now. In his lovely little place about 15 mins from my uncle's house:)

If anybody doesn't believe me, if any of you belong to either the New York City mailing list (U2NYC@yahoogroups.com) or Wire, you will be able to read all the feedback I've gotten from people, and you'll know it was me.)

I spent four hours writing that yesterday, and it appears all hell has broken loose. Well, before you ban me from this list, read everything I wrote, and put it in context. THINK about the things I said.

Elvis, if you haven't posted it (it is VERY long, as you know), I am resending it to you. Please do so. I hope that 1) people have open minds, and 2)that this was LARRY after all. What do you expect him to do..hold our hands?

And if you don't post it, I'd be happy to forward it to anyone who wants to read it. Just that I have only about 20 mins left on here, and I won't be back until tomorrow afternoon, after 4 PM EDT...

I put out a little message in the NYC group today. Just a "Hi Larry...thanks for the reply....by those last "two words, I knew it really was you...LOL. " type of thing. Of course that will be only mail. But I'll have that in my folder forever!

Last edited:
His reply was what was posted above.

What, do you expect Larry to write a warm and gushy "thank you"? :wink:

I have 5 minutes left on here. I'll send anybody who wants it, my essay..tomorrow,but I just sent it to Elvis (again). I hope he has the guts to post it.

Last edited:
Uhm, I've checked out the U2NYC group, and the 'reply' Teta is talking about, I think she's misunderstood... it was another list member forwarding the email from Larry/U2.com to the U2NYC group. This was not a direct response from Larry in relation to the 'essay' Teta has mentioned.

I received it too - joked with my husband "Larry sent me an email!"

Dear Seajewel: ... ... ... Slainte, Larry

(Was sent out to all U2.com Members)
Nice of him to respond to the problem.

Actions speak louder than words... I got one of these letters and I am a long standing Prop member.... but was screwed at the presales. If they really mean it they should send GA tickets or let those of us who got Bad seats the option to pick what we want.

Going to make the 3rd leg better...how about this leg?

Hey I have been faithful sinc Boy, I still think there is more they can do to rectify this.

ZoOed

:sigh:
:tsk:
:banghead:

So, for which completely sold-out concert do you want to have tickets of your choice? You may state the seat number(s) if you're not going for GA. Those who regularly bought it will have no problem giving it up...

:sigh:
:tsk:
:banghead:

I am also a Propaganda member who never received a letter, or discount code to join U2.com. After sending emails and trying to call I got nowhere and just paid the $40 and joined. I figured I was losing the $20 discount but my time was worth more than that, at least I could get good seats for the tour again. So now Larry says the Propaganda members will get priority over newer U2.com members. Gee, that sounds great. HOW HARD CAN IT BE TO FIGURE OUT WHO THE PROPAGANDA MEMBERS WERE!

I sent another email to u2.com, you will never believe what I got back, another form letter. Thanks a lot.

Savi424 said:
I am also a Propaganda member who never received a letter, or discount code to join U2.com. After sending emails and trying to call I got nowhere and just paid the $40 and joined. I figured I was losing the $20 discount but my time was worth more than that, at least I could get good seats for the tour again. So now Larry says the Propaganda members will get priority over newer U2.com members. Gee, that sounds great. HOW HARD CAN IT BE TO FIGURE OUT WHO THE PROPAGANDA MEMBERS WERE!

I sent another email to u2.com, you will never believe what I got back, another form letter. Thanks a lot.

Try writing sbentley@signatures.com, that's what a lot of us here did when we didn't get our discount codes and it worked. Good luck!

Re: Re: (02-03-2005) An open letter from Larry Mullen - U2.com*

Sorry to jump into this late - I've been away:

Macphisto2005 said:

For the record: the correct spelling is "apologize".

:rolleyes: The Uk/Ireland spelling is APOLOGISE. Just thought I'd point this out alongside everyone else who has already done so.

I thought Larry's "two words" were for the people who relentlessly slated the band - don't you remember all the "fuck off Bono", "I hate you U2", "sellout bastards" posts of the last 2/3 weeks or so? It's clearly not aimed at people who may have been angry but who were still reasonable, and who didn't throw their toys out of the pram continously spouting abuse.

Nerfherder said:

I completely agree. While the fiasco was going on Tuesday, it really bothered me that people were so quick to suddenly boycott U2, get rid of all their U2 stuff and blame everything *directly* on Bono, Adam, Edge and Larry - as if the whole thing was only their doing and they really did want to screw their own fanbase. :(

So, it's awesome that there's now an official statement from the band. That was what I had been waiting to see. Thank you, Larry!

Well said mate.

Last edited:
Nope, Elvis.

He sent me the same text, beginning with

THIS IS FOR TC

and underneath that, the message. I didn't know at the time that he had also put that in other places as well, I was in a rush and had no time to read.

But he was unmistakably "replying" to something that I wrote. I see that you still have not posted my essay, even though I sent it to you twice. People who haven't read it might still be under the impression that Larry just decided to email out of the blue. I'd like to think that he chose to "reply" at this time because I was so vocal and passionate in my defense of the band (while at the same not letting them off the hook either.)

It is important for U2 to know that they are not working in a hostile climate, that there are people who believe in their sincerity in the first place, and maybe my essay encouraged Larry a bit, after a week of unremitting hostility..here was sokeone taking the time to speak out for the band. I'm proud of that. A hostile climate is not conducive to producing change. I got numerous emails of support. Maybe Larry was encouraged to "reply" by reading the responses.and realizing that there were still people on U2's side, after all. ...or simply by the essay itself. I can't speak for him of course, but I'm sure that I pushed his "FOAD" button plenty of times too. In all ways. I don't know.

I posted that at 1 AM in the morning Thursday, and by 10 the next morning, Larry's reply was up. The things Larry said in that letter were exact responses to things I had written, things I had said.

You know, I love this site, but I can see why some people complain. Not to put you guys down, but you are very selective about what you allow to be posted sometimes. Threads are mysteriously deleted. It's like the thing that went on with "Edge", just because you wanted more people on the site.....

I'm quite sure that if I knew how to cross-post my essay from Wire to here, it would be deleted within an hour.

It's called: "So, You Wanna Start A Revolution? A Fans' Thoughts On The Ticket Debacle, And A Call To Arms." It is so long I had to divide it into 5 parts:
--Luminous Times
--When Fact Is Fiction...
--They WHo Must Not Be Named (and the "they" I referred to was CC and TM, not you)
--...And TV IS Reality
--Love And Peace--Or Else

OK...Let me clarify this....I posted the essay in the wee hours of Thurs morning. I sent it to the staff of several sites, as well as in the little maling groups I belong to. Later Thurs morning proper, Larry's "letter" went up, in several places. If you'd read my essay, this could not possibly be a coincidence. But in the NYC group, he began it with that. I remember this, b/c that was all of it I was able to read before I had to rush off to work. I had chiils up my spine! Late Thurday night/Fri morning, I sent the brief "Hi Larry" post, which of course was supposed to be read only, as I'm sure he wouldn't post anything else. What I posted above yesterday, was said wrong...it sounde like he replied to my "HI Larry" thing. Of course not. I didn't realize how that sounded until much later.

I'll have to find a link for anyone who wants to read it.

Last edited:
Johnovox said:
AWESOME!!!! My faith in the band is completely restored.
My faith in the band never went away inspite of this incident. I was upset yes and told my BF how upset I was but I never lost faith and some of my Live Journal entries (friends only) know how much I stuck by U2 when this was going down.

I believe larry, I have to.

I didn't join U2.com 'cause I knew that things would get fucked up. I'm not blaming U2, I never did. I blamed Clear Channel.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I understand Larry's frustration, and I disagree with people on this site calling for boycotts and printing up T-shirts. The anger won't last and then they'll be stuck with a $15 t-shirt printed with a cause they don't even support in the long run.

However, Larry could have been more polite...then again he is a pretty direct guy.

I must admit I wanted to express that sentiment since last Tuesday to some fans here, and on other websites. So, fair play to Larry!

The t-shirts were made in anger way before larry's statement and I'm sure a lot of people, myself included feel bad for buying the stuff. I didn't buy a t-shirt 'cause I thought that it was tacky. I bought a sticker 'cause I thought that it was funny. I'm going to stick it on my notebook, like my own private little joke.

The protesting at the grammy's was a bit over the top and I didn't even respond to that thread, that was going to go too far.

Re: Re: (02-03-2005) An open letter from Larry Mullen - U2.com*

Macphisto2005 said:

As much as I'd like to believe this, I'm a little bit skeptical, and that should be expected since we've already been misled once.

The 'thing' in this letter that makes me suspicious is that the word "apolgise" has been improperly spelled on every U2.com news bulletin that has come out since the presale, so I'm wondering if (a) Larry was dictating to the PR folks at U2.com (b) U2.com's PR folks issued a statement and used his name.

For the record: the correct spelling is "apologize".

I really hope things work out. As for the last line of the letter.....my response is this: If we didn't care we wouldn't have made a big deal about it. When we don't do this is when the members of U2 have to worry, because it means that we don't care anymore. We truly believe that they are worth the effort and if we didn't, we wouldn't have spoken up like we did.

I thought the same thing, people cared which is why they spoke, when we care about something, we all have the tendency to speak. I didn't notice the spelling error.

Re: Good Job Larry!

CDragon said:
That last quote in his letter made me laugh and I really wanted to tell quite a lot of U2 fans out there (who are ranting and venting how they're "sell outs", personally insulting them how they changed over the years, swearing at them etc. etc.) those two words and I'm sure you know what they are

I told so many people to fuck off this month alone who thought U2 sold out. I even told my BF to fuck off and to stop bashing U2 in front of me.

I love Larry Mullen 'cause I have a crush on him however, after this letter, is in high regards with me 'cause there are not that many rock stars who admit and apologize for their mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom