(01-29-2005) Fans' Fury Over U2 Ticket Touts -- Manchester Online*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Fans' Fury Over U2 Ticket Touts

ANGRY music fans were unable to buy tickets for the U2 concert in Manchester next year after a gang of up to 50 men jumped the queue.

Many had spent the night outside the City of Manchester Stadium in a bid to get tickets for the June 14 show, which went on sale at 9am yesterday.

But they say they were unable to get near the ticket booths because an organised gang of men - thought to be ticket touts - packed the front of the line.

They allowed others to jump the queue and kept sellers busy for more than an hour buying all the available seats.

More than 80 fans had to be turned away after being told all seats, which cost between £50 and £85, were sold out.

Police were called to the stadium at 11.45am, but no arrests were made. Manchester City said they were investigating the complaints. Up to 55,000 tickets were sold across Manchester and on the internet within two hours.

Liz Stanley, a fan of 20 years from Audenshaw who has seen the band live 35 times, queued for six hours before being told she was unlucky.

Angry

She said: "We were all really angry. Some fans had come all the way from Liverpool and had been there since midnight. We couldn't believe what was happening."

But Kate Donnelly from Bury, who queued for nearly four hours, said: "By the time I got to the front I was told the gig was sold out. I couldn't believe what was going on. Something should have been done about it."

U2 are rumoured to be planning a second performance in Manchester in June following yesterday's sell-out.

A spokesman for Manchester City FC said the club was now considering beefing up security at the stadium when concert tickets were being sold.

He said there had been no problems when tickets were recently sold for gigs by Oasis and the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Spokesman Paul Tyrrell said staff checked computer records and found some multiple applications for tickets. "Purchasers are only allowed to buy a maximum of four tickets, so a number will be sent letters and will not be receiving their tickets.

"We took the addresses of 83 fans who had to be turned away. We are highly optimistic that they will now be able to get tickets for the show."

--Manchester Online

How unbelievable.... I would be FURIOUS if this happened to me when in line. Imagine all of the anger over on U2.com boards times 1,000 - that's how angry I'd be! But at least they took the addresses of the people in line so there's a chance of justice being served.

Ditto - ticket touts are a bunch of TOTAL BASTARDS!!! :madspit:

I'd be hopping bloody mad if that were me! :rant: :rant:

I managed to get tickets for Glasgow, so i feel lucky in the extreme&i'm really glad that those arseholes will be stopped&some fans will now get their tickets :happy: :up: :applaud: :applaud:

Truly terrible behavior.
Stadiums may have to start bringing in extra security guards to act as "line police" to keep people from cutting.

That's a terrible thing to do. The ticket scalpers are getting way out of hand. I live in Chicago, Il US. In todays, paper there was an article about the apology U2 sent out. I think it's a very thin apology.

This happened when Madonna tickets went on sale for her drowned world tour, people were queing for ages only to be told it had sold out, half the line were ticket touts. Last year though, they refused to sell tickets at the venue because of what happened that time. It is better to sell them through ticketmaster if only to lower the amount of touts buying them. Unfortunetly, there are still many people out there buying the tickets just to make money on ebay!!Shame!!

I arrived very early for the Elevation gig sale in 2001 and there were 400 people in front of me (allowed six tickets each). As I reached the sale point all GA tickets had just sold out. I wondered how.... I had to accept two seats instead of six standing.
On the day of the gig the entrance area was crawling with touts from early afternoon. Is there no law against these people?

Back
Top Bottom