(01-29-2005) Committing to a New World Fashion Standard -- Epoch Times*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://english.epochtimes.com/news_images/2005-1-28-hewilt.jpg[/SIMG]
Committing to a New World Fashion Standard

As the wife of U2’s Bono, Ali Hewson is friends with some of the world’s best know celebrities. Having a cup of tea with Naomi Campbell or attending a charity fundraiser with Jerry Hall is part of her everyday life.
Right now Ali is set to take on the fashion industry by launching a socially conscious clothing range called the Edin collection. Hewson’s clothing line is attempting to bring global public awareness to the inhumane use of slave labor in the world’s clothing industry.

All the pieces from the collection will be organically made by fair trade workers and Ali hopes the fashion range will be available as early as next month initially in the USA and then worldwide.

This fair trading method of business is supported by several high profile celebrities and hopefully will set an ethical benchmark for business in the Fashion industry.

Ali accepts that being known as Bono’s wife has raised her profile to speak out for good causes. As a wealthy person in the spotlight she regards it as a responsibility to do what she can to raise awareness on human rights issues. Ali told London’s Mirror that while money has huge advantages, it also brings huge responsibilities with it. One of her ongoing human rights roles is her patronage of the Chernobyl Children’s project. Also she is a mother caring for her 4 children with Bono, her husband of 22 years.

Bono openly supports his wife’s new fashion line and recently told the Times that “It may be one of the biggest brands in the next few years, so watch out”.

--The Epoch Times

I thought this was a good article to send in to the news, since some of the other post are so ugly:

Lovely pic of Ali also:

Later.....

Last edited:
All she'd have to do is get Bono to wear them. On Oprah. BOOM--10 million pairs sold the next day. This could be the best advertising campaign ever.

I still wish there was a website for EDUN so that we could see in what stores and in what areas EDUN clothing can be bought - and for what price.

Love this idea - so glad that Ali Hewson has decided to show the world that a company can make a profit and STILL treat its workers correctly. :up:

Like Bono said the other day - "Shopping is politics in the 21st century".

GRACE FINDS BEAUTY IN EVERYTHING....:wink:

reneedo said:
All she'd have to do is get Bono to wear them. On Oprah. BOOM--10 million pairs sold the next day. This could be the best advertising campaign ever.

:yes: Going on Oprah would definitely do the trick.

Bono your wife is fine mmmmm mmmmmm!!!! I take care of her when you on Tour

jpjames - I think Ali is quite satisfied where she is (as would any woman be)

Plus, Ali Hewson has never needed a man to take care of her - she is quite capable of thinking and choosing for herself. :up:

biff said:
Yes, it's great, but it's EDUN, not edin.
I actually read an article in the paper a month or 2 ago which referred to them as being called Edun. They were having fun with it because that's "nude" backwards. Here you go...

NY TIMES NEWS SERVICE , DUBLIN
Monday, Nov 15, 2004,Page 16
"That night, Bono was off to his other job, as freelance do-gooder. "Saving the world is now a daily chore," he joked. He was going to Madrid to appear at a fashion show for Edun, a company he and his wife own; the clothes are made in Africa from textiles manufactured in developing countries, a practical symbol of Bono's conviction that poor countries need trade as much as aid. He was wearing a pair of Edun jeans along with his ubiquitous sunglasses, a black sports jacket and a dark blue shirt, unbuttoned to reveal a wooden cross around his neck."

Thanks for that link. It's definitely "Edun", though. Bono talked about it in the Blackbook magazine article, and mentioned that it is indeed "nude" spelled backwards. That's intentional. In the pictures that accompanied that article you can see Bono's own handwriting, in which he spells it that way. Also, you can see a reference to it in the little book that came with the deluxe edition of the album. (Nitpicking, I know.)

Edited to add: Most of these articles only mention jeans, but there will be other clothing items as well.

Last edited:
Came across this article online, from the Sunday Independent:

Bono's Brilliant Bird Launches Her Fair Trade Fashion Label

BEHIND every great woman, I always say, there's a great man. Bono flew over to New York to support his wife Ali for the launch of her new label Edun on Friday. Ali is the brains behind the fair trade fashion label designed by New York designer Rogan Gregory (lest we forget: Ali is a seasoned campaigner on behalf of the victims of the Chernobyl disaster too.).

Bono's brilliant bird had obviously been reading Constance Harris's piece on eco-friendly fashion recently in the Sindo. A handful of invited guests and a few local celebrities assembled in the intimate setting of Library in downtown Manhattan for this prestigious unveiling of Ali's new project.

The clothes, which are on sale in Saks Fifth Avenue in New York, will arrive in mid-March in Brown Thomas.

"It is too early to discuss a fashion show to launch the clothes range in Ireland," said a source close to Ali.
http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=129&si=1338689&issue_id=12075
(You will need to register for this online newspaper)

Edited to say: there was no pic with this article.
(the one I tried to post earlier, didn't show up for some reason. Its over in PLEBA however, in one of the Ali threads)

Last edited:

Hi!

This sounds great.

I know many large stores try to keep tabs on garment production and has been an issue here in the United States.

carol
wizard2c

:|

I think this is fantastic. Good on Ali! :) Of course, this will only create more poverty in other areas...namely, my bank account. :rolleyes:

Hope they get their website up and running soon!

Back
Top Bottom