(01-28-2005) Music Stars Ready to Buttonhole Leaders Over Poverty -- AFP*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://news.aunz.yimg.com/xp/afp/20050129/03/1397557279.jpg[/SIMG]
Music Stars Ready to Buttonhole Leaders Over Poverty

DAVOS, Switzerland (AFP) - Campaigning celebrities Bono and Youssou Ndour told AFP they are plotting to take German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder around Africa and to pounce on French President Jacques Chirac in their struggle on behalf of the world's poor.

Rock star Bono wants to convince the German leader to deliver more aid for poor countries, while Ndour, from Senegal, was ready to buttonhole Chirac when the French president visits his home country next week, both musicians said on the sidelines of the World Economic Forum.

Having taken the former US treasury secretary Paul O'Neill on an eye-opening jaunt through Africa, the Irish singer vowed to lavish similar attention on Schroeder, who appeared in the Swiss mountain resort of Davos on Friday.

"I would love to go with somebody like Chancelier Schroeder," the U2 band leader said.

"I would love to show him what German, hard earned euros, can do to transform the community, I would love to show him that," Bono added during a joint interview alongside Ndour.

The duo were among a brace of socially-concerned celebrities -- including Hollywood actress Sharon Stone, her French counterpart Carole Bouquet, pop musicians Peter Gabriel and Lionel Richie --- invited to Davos this week.

Bono, who appeared on stage at Davos alongside British Prime Minister Tony Blair, said Schroeder would be a valuable recruit.

"A trip like that would change Europe, because if he joins with Chirac and Blair, they can change the world."

"Without him they can only change a piece of the puzzle," the Irish singer added, warning that the United States would "exploit the divisions as an excuse for their own inaction".

The leaders of Western Europe's three powerhouses appeared in the plush Swiss resort, raising their voices about poverty.

"It's the moment for them to unite not only on debt but also to plough more resources into financing treatment for HIV/AIDS, and malaria which kills 3,000 children a day," Ndour insisted.

"All these leaders, like Germany, France, Britain and the United States, must at least rally to these ideas. If they don't take part, history will point at these leaders."

Bono said there was an even chance of success during the summit of the Group of Eight industrialised countries in Britain in July, which has poverty at the top of its agenda, especially after the global wave of support for the tsunami disaster in south Asia.

"You see it with the tsunami, that the urge is there."

Meanwhile, Chirac's proposals for an international tax to finance international efforts to combat poverty or HIV/AIDS drew an uncompromising response.

"It's nice to have ideas about taxing air tickets, but before that we need a complete cancellation of debt," Ndour said.

"We should... yes definitely," the two chimed in harmony when asked if they planned to meet Jacques Chirac.

France's president can expect to be approached by Ndour when Chirac visits Senegal next week.

"Even if he's busy I'm going to deliver the message," he insisted.

While acknowledging Western concerns about budget deficits and spending, Bono urged the kind of leadership he said US president John F. Kennedy had shown when the space programme was carried through during the 1960s.

"He led and the world followed. That's what we want from President Jacques Chirac, that kind of vision."

"It's going to hurt, it's going to cost. But I know French people, if it's spent well they will take the penny"

1397557279.jpg

lucas007 said:
few years ago Bono said something different about Chirac........:scratch:
Do you mean what he said in his speech in some awards?
I don't remember it... just a little.

Renrut said:
So, Bono smokes Marlboro Lights, hun? :wink:

Maybe he´s finally cutting back on those strong sigarillos (thin sigars)... Would be great for keeping the great voice he has at the moment;-) (When he quits all the smoking (Like that will ever happen...))

Last edited:
It would be a GREAT idea if Bono could get the German Chancellor and/or Pres. Chirac to move from their lip service regarding their commitment to end extreme poverty in the world to ACTUAL DOLLARS (or euros) given over to the fight to end extreme poverty.

Bono correctly stated that as long as there are some European countries which are not fully committed to this end, the U.S. will find ways not to fully commit itself to the struggle to end extreme poverty in the world.

Bono and Yossou N'Dour - now that's a combo I would love to hear sing together. :wink:

Yes, that would be a good duet!

Bono is great in what he's doing to help Africa.
Have no words for it. Just great! :bow:

:bono: :heart:

riderka said:

Do you mean what he said in his speech in some awards?
I don't remember it... just a little.

yes it was in paris 96 or 97 music awards and bono tald that Chirac is fuc**d up(because of atol M. atomic bomb tests) or something like that i remember that it was really offensive:yes:

lucas007 said:

yes it was in paris 96 or 97 music awards and bono tald that Chirac is fuc**d up(because of atol M. atomic bomb tests) or something like that i remember that it was really offensive:yes:
Yes, now I remember. He looked cool when he said that.:wink:

But "Times they are changin".

Back
Top Bottom