(01-27-2006) Bono of U2 Looking At Hip-Hop -- AllHipHop.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is great news! U2 needs to explore new territory on their next album, and I'm confident that they could produce a hip-hop inspired album while still sounding like the awesome rock band that they are.

If this means more beats a la "In a Little While" or "Fast Cars" then :up:

Besides, Bono did wear a headband on this tour, so he's got the accessories down. Maybe headbands will replace his wraparounds :wink:

this is one of the most rediculous topics i've seen in a while...

it's amazing to see how the press can get a couple of quotes and just spin them off into whatever they want. really makes you wonder about the rest of the news we see.

so far this month, u2 are breaking up, retiring, and putting out a rap record... all based on insignificant bono quotes spun by the media into something that they are not.

rediculous... all bono said was that he was inspired by the production values of certain hip hop artists, esp. kanye west. obviously that means u2's putting out a rap record :rolleyes:

even if they picked someone that is known mostly for producing hip hop, it still doesn't mean that they're gonna put put a rap record... it's u2 for christ's sake. did neil diamond put out a rap record after he signed rick rubin to produce his album? please...

Reading the various commentary I wondered if there was really anything else to add. Perhaps there is.

U2 has gone in directions that have frustrated fans before, but as many have pointed it out, it all came out okay in the end.

I remember hearing Zooropa and Pop and being confused (though I now appreciate both albums. You can read my story in the babyface forum). But even then, even when I didn't like what they were doing, even when I didn't buy the albums and just stuck to their "old stuff" I respected what they were doing. They are artists, they've got to follow their muse. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. U2 owes us fans a lot, yes after all as Bono said, we've given them "a great life." But we don't OWN them. I really respected that they wanted to experiment, test themselves, go in different directions--go and dream it all up again. That's what great artists do--they risk failure in the pursuit of their art. Mediocre ones do a focus group and turn out what they are told the public wants.

I really can't see U2 "doing hip-hop" but it's their business, their art, if indeed they choose to do it. I may not like it but I'll respect it.

Incidentally, didn't I hear Bono doing some sort of African chant during the opening to "Where the Streets Have No Name" in the Vertigo concert DVD. In the Michka Assayas book "In Conversation" Assayas asked Bono why they didn't incorporate African music into their material since Bono is so passionate about Africa. Bono, replied, as I recall something to the affect that the he didn't feel the group could pull it off. Well, it looks to me like Bono was wrong, because I thought that chant was a great touch. You just never know with U2.

dsmith2904 said:
As long as that doesn't include Bono rapping or dancing, I'm all for it.

:lol:

I think experimenting is a positive thing and I've loved hearing U2 playing so many different kind of music!

"I don't know where we're going to go with all our new information and all our new friends ... but it will be somewhere very special or you won't hear about it, because there's no reason for you to put out an album now unless it’s very special,” Bono said. “You know, we don't need the cash."

This is :up:

Back
Top Bottom