(01-22-2005) U2.com Members Only Entitled to One Show -- Interference.com*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
U2.com Members Only Entitled to One Show

Today, U2.com members were sent an e-mail with their Vertigo Tour presale code and learned the following...

As a Paid-up U2.Com Subscriber you will be able to purchase up to two (2) tickets for any one (1) indoor show (North America) or up to four (4) tickets for any one (1) outdoor show (Europe).

Somewhat confused by the language of this statement, a call was made to FanFire where Interference.com learned that a $20 or $40 U2.com subscription only entitles members to tickets for one show.

Looks like all of us will be trying our luck on the general sales after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can only go to one show anyway so I guess I can live with it

the $40 subscription seems more of a rip off with each passing day :|

I kind of understand this, but I think we could have been allowed tickets for two or three shows. Then there would have still been lots of tickets left for general release.

Ticketbastard, here I come.

wow, what a bunch of horse shit. I was planning on going to the opener in SD and a couple shows here it Toronto. Guess my chances of that are pretty much fucked.

...Isn't this false advertising, because they certainly didn't make it clear that it was for only ONE show?

brejc said:
wow, what a bunch of horse shit. I was planning on going to the opener in SD and a couple shows here it Toronto. Guess my chances of that are pretty much fucked.

...Isn't this false advertising, because they certainly didn't make it clear that it was for only ONE show?

two (2) tickets for any one (1) indoor show (North America) or up to four (4) tickets for any one (1) outdoor show

Looks pretty clear to me.

starsgoblue said:
Was it different during the Prop days?

I wasn't around either but my understanding was that it was the same thing, tickets for ONE show... for a while there the language at U2.com was not very clear and it could have been interpreted as giving you access for all shows, but I had not held out much hope that would be the case...

Still, I shall not moan about it... I just want to see them! :wink:

I've been wondering what all the hype was about for only ONE show. From what I've read along the way , I always understood it to be this way, but thought maybe I had mis-understood.
I didn't join because of this reason. When I got an email from U2.com last week telling me 'I still have time to join' I really thought Why do I want to do that for just one set of tickets. Didn't make sense to me. :huh:
However, I still hope for everyones sake this is not the case and I have still mis-understood.:yes:

U2girl said:

two (2) tickets for any one (1) indoor show (North America) or up to four (4) tickets for any one (1) outdoor show

Looks pretty clear to me.

Yes that is clear, i'm no fucking idiot, too bad they announced it 2 days before the presale. I was referring to the initial advertising they had in November when the site just opened up.

Priority Ticket Sales for the 2005 Tour

The 2005 Tour is being announced soon. It?s no secret that U2 tickets usually sell out in hours but we have secured agreement for U2.Com members to be provided with an advance window when they can buy U2 tickets at all venues before they are offered to the general public.

In the Propaganda days u could sometimes order tickets for two shows, sometimes for one. On Elevation, you could order two tickets for two shows on the European leg.
What annoys me, is that they don't guarantee you tickets. We don't know which portion of the tickets is set aside for u2.com members. If it is up to 50 percent it it okay, if it is less the membership sucks big time.

brejc said:
at all venues .[/I]

The code works for all venues. However, once it is used, you can no longer use it again. This was made clear to me from the very start.

Otherwise, you could purchase tickets for non-members in far away cities and charge whatever you liked as much as you wanted to. Not a bad business, if you could live with yourself as a pimp of sorts.

Common Sense is a wonderful thing if you have it.

sue4u2 said:
I really thought Why do I want to do that for just one set of tickets. Didn't make sense to me.

What you mean, we get all the videos and songs in full length too. :rolleyes: Too bad I already paid for every video and every album before hand. .....It just kills me that they actually charge us to view videos:sick: ....I always thought they made videos for promotional purposes.

Too bad, every day now my belief grows stronger that this band has turned into a sellout these past few years!

Wish I was old enough to see them and enjoy their music during the good old ZOO TV days, when they were cool, and didn't give a fuck about money, and didn't have to mention in every interview that they're the best band in the world, and that their latest album is their best work. This was decided by the music fans that they nowadays rip-off every which way they can.

Bono is a hypocrite!!

I've been a U2 fan for many years (and I still am), and I have to say that the way U2 is now treating their fans amounts to a big slap in the face. I can hear Bono now, "Thanks for paying $40 to join the fan club so you can get tickets early, now pay us $165 for ONE decent concert seat (plus whatever obsene "convenience fee" TicketMaster will charge), you sucker!!" No, thank YOU Bono, you damn hypocrite! Over the years, I've listened to Bono preach about fighting poverty, and I've always done my part to help, and I've always respected Bono for pushing those kinds of issues. But the fact is that U2 are really only interested in one thing: money. Lots of it. And for whom? For themselves only. If you're going to write songs like "Crumbs from your Table" -- a song that criticizes America for not doing enough to fight poverty (even though America gives more per capita than any other nation in the world) -- than at least put your money where your mouth is. Last I checked, Bono isn't exactly living paycheck to paycheck! Now, his message to his devoted fans that made U2 rich and famous is, "Pay up, you suckers!" Am I the only one who feels like I've been taken advantage of?

Re: Bono is a hypocrite!!

rustoleum01 said:
I've been a U2 fan for many years (and I still am), and I have to say that the way U2 is now treating their fans amounts to a big slap in the face. I can hear Bono now, "Thanks for paying $40 to join the fan club so you can get tickets early, now pay us $165 for ONE decent concert seat (plus whatever obsene "convenience fee" TicketMaster will charge), you sucker!!" No, thank YOU Bono, you damn hypocrite! Over the years, I've listened to Bono preach about fighting poverty, and I've always done my part to help, and I've always respected Bono for pushing those kinds of issues. But the fact is that U2 are really only interested in one thing: money. Lots of it. And for whom? For themselves only. If you're going to write songs like "Crumbs from your Table" -- a song that criticizes America for not doing enough to fight poverty (even though America gives more per capita than any other nation in the world) -- than at least put your money where your mouth is. Last I checked, Bono isn't exactly living paycheck to paycheck! Now, his message to his devoted fans that made U2 rich and famous is, "Pay up, you suckers!" Am I the only one who feels like I've been taken advantage of?

AMEN!!!

Add me to the list of suckers who feel they have been taken advantage of!

I remember the days when you could get 4-6 tickets for two shows..and a decent magazine to boot....:eyebrow:

Since this arrangement isn't much different from thier Prop days or anything else...I don't see how this is much of a slap in the face. If you are interested in the possibility of having an edge over the casual U2 fan, then you've got that window of time to buy a set of tickets.

As far as Bono and his "ethics"....he does more than any of us do to try and make this world a better place. Have you voluntarilly gone to Africa multiple times and dug wells there? Or had newspapers thrown in your face by a Congressman while trying to explain the situation of debt relieft, AIDS meds, and the like? Or set up your own NGO? The fact that he has a lot of money from his "day job" really isn't a factor. If you have ten dollars in your pocket now, you are rich in comparison to a lot of other countries where they are living on a dollar a day.

I think the wording at U2.com was pretty straightforward. And I appreciate the oppurtunity to be sure I have good tix for one show. I'd pay $20 extra per ticket to get good spots...I don't think U2 is sitting over at PM and plotting our financial ruin.

Last edited:
brejc said:

Don't you think that was an important part they missed, Mr. Common Sense.

"You are able to buy two tickets for any indoor show or 4 tickets for any outdoor show during your membership term." - general u2.com faq for membership benefits.

The common sense kicks in knowing that you are only going to get this opportunity ONCE.

You are able to buy 2 tickets for an indoor show or 4 tickets for an outdoor show. They didn'y say that you could buy anymore than that.

The common sense also kicks in knowing that this is for your benefit as a subscriber, otherwise scalping agencies would of flooded the site and limited any chance you had of getting tickets to near impossible. As is, the chances of getting tickets for the SINGLE show you want are fantastic. This is common sense.

Have paid my $40 for membership of site and am very happy with it. As someone mentioned, it gives me an advantage in getting tickets to a U2 show here in UK where their concerts sell out in minutes. Thats good enough for me! Some people however, it seems, are never satisfied..

I always got tickets to more than one U2 show from Propaganda from the very beginning. I've even saved, of course, all my forms (save anything pertaining to U2), and if there were multiple shows at one venue I got tickets from Prop to all of them, and I went to multiple cities as well and got tickets from Prop. It always had a max. # you could get, but it wasn't limited to 2 at one venue. I think it's nice they're cutting those horrible ticketmonster fees for us, and even tho it's only 2 at one venue, if anybody's able to go to Europe or vice-versa, it still adds up to 6 tkts, and it's all better than what a lot of artist's ever give their fans. And for so many years U2 always took care of us through Prop with the best seats.

Any idea on the prices yet, or the seating charts?

Looks like Ebay and brokers will be having a field day with this tour.

Last edited:
Whether or not you bought the membership, HOW CAN ANYONE AGREE THAT WHAT U2 and FANFIRE ARE DOING IS FAIR IN ANYWAY?

What is the advantage to paying $40 to only get presale tickets to ONE show MAXIMUM?????

I ordered my membership with the idea that I would be able to purchase tickets before they go on general public sale to a few different shows. There was never any precise wording that said there was a limit to the number of shows you could buy tickets for, just the number of tickets to the show (2 or 4 for outdoors).

It really hurts to see fellow U2 fans put down those who bought into theis false advertisement and then justify it becuase one claims to have common sense. You wanna know my common sense?? I TRUSTED U2 and they really put the screws to us. Don't insult us.

And I would separate Bono's good will from this completely. The man does wonderful things, but without the support from fans like all here, he wouldn't be in the same position as he is now. U2 as a brand name, a company, a business wouldn't be in the same place.

'Some people aren't just happy enough with what they have'

Whats that all about??? Is believeing that you were entitled to more than you are allowed wrong? This isn't about greed for something (from the membership holder's standpoint), this is about being fairly treated as a paying customer. You know, I bought my membership in December and I haven't recieved my card, the keychain (whoppie doo) and the other 'perk' is the 25% off your first purchase from Fanfire- WHICH MEANS YOU STILL HAVE TO SPEND MONEY. YHEY DON'T EVEN THROW IN A FREE TSHIRT OR POSTER, THE CHEAPEST ITEMS POSSIBLE.

Please, as a fellow fan, don't insult our trust and intelligence for the band/ company that is U2. They really pulled a horrible trick here.

I agree with you ^^^, I think it should be exactly like it was before with Prop. And just looking it up, I was able to buy 2 tkts through Prop to any venue for most of the tours, so I usually went to 5 or more getting the Prop tkts.

Don't know why they are limiting us. And certainly brokers, and other smart people, won't have a hard time figuring out "passwords," but will they cancel your orders if you actually do more than one venue with the same credit card name?

bonoed said:
I agree with you ^^^, I think it should be exactly like it was before with Prop.

:hmm: Propaganda... :hmm:

A subscription of $40 IIRC. And for the tour you could get 2 tickets for a single show. You filled in the form you had (with a possible second or third choice) and mailed it too them. Then there was a long wait, for which you didn't know whether or not you actually had the tickets. Then you saw on your credit card statement that they had taken your money, but you didn't know for which concert. Finally, a few weeks before the actual date you got mail from them and saw the tickets you ordered.

Yes, let's go back to those days!

I think the answer to all this is really quite simple. U2 need to put out a crap record. That way we'll be able to get all the tickets we want. Shame on them for being the best band in the world. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom