Wotcher peeps!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Habib_Returns

Babyface
I'd doubt any of you remember mebut I make my return after a period of unplanned hiatus.

So as, No Line on the horizon makes its undoubted ascent to the summit of the world's music charts and with a tour imminent on the horizon ( a potential long tour I might add ) and with another album planned at the end of the year ( well they did keep us waiting for 5 years, so its the least they could do ), there is a lot to be excited about in the land of U2.

Having recently purchased No Line on the Horizon, I feel that it is pertinent that I share my views on this record.

It is a complete contrast to the 'meat and potato' rock of HTDAAB, this album is more like Broccoli and carrots, with some chicken dips. There are some outstanding melodies ( Moment of Surrender, Unknown Caller & Fez-Being Born being particularly striking ).

However I feel Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois have 'enoised ( or lanoised depending on your favourite ) the sound of the record to such an extent that the album resembles more Passengers Part 2 than U2. Now don't get me wrong , the influence of these two producers cannot be overlooked, having made telling contributions to the best records in U2's repertoire. My point is I feel this album is lacking a lot of rock in comparison to HTDAAB and POP. In my opninon, Get on Your Boots, Stand Up Comedy and maybe Breathe are as close to the abrasiveness from the last record ( Vertigo, Love and Peace, All Because of YOU, COBL ).

I mean U2 are a rock and roll band after all, but a large majority of the album seems to be la de da, pie in the sky inspired. Criticism of U2 lyrics have cited Bono's inability to write about specific characters and complain about the vagueness and fuzzy imagery of previous work. Yet I am not sure what the NLOTH are about ?

Shoot me down for my comments, I still love U2, always will do, but I like U2 when they rock hard( Sunday Bloody Sunday, The FLY, Until the End of the World-these are tunes!!!!) , not when they get all arty. The Passengers and Pop era should've warned them when they wanted to get all intellectual with their music-they alienated fans and album sales went south. Being the commercial juggernaut that they are, I'm sure they are aware of this.

Then again maybe all of the above is bollocks, and the album is a grower, time will tell I suppose.

Your thoughts as always much appreciated.

Magnificent,,

Habib.

Back
Top Bottom