when god created u2, he was just showing off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sting

The Fly
My mom loves U2. I remember hearing there songs when I was little and liking them, but at that age I was sadly not very into music. Thats not to say I didn't like songs, but I wouldn't sit down and listen to a song actively. I played video games alot and would enjoy the ambient electronic MIDI's of Donkey Kong Country levels(paticuarily the underwater levels, or in DKC2, the Bramble Scramble levels - beautiful music) or the crazy techno midi's of a side scrolling jet game.
I first started really getting into music through... the Backstreet Boys. I'm not gonna lie. There melodic and catchy tunes got me into music... and I would sing and dance to these bastards for hours a day. I was in grade 5 in 1998(when I got into them) and I still have respect for those guys because they at least got me into music.

Through my middle school years I was into bands like blink 182, green day, and mathew good band. By 2001(grade 8), I started playing guitar and made a band of my own. In 2000, in November/December, I got Napster and one of the first songs I remember downloading was Beautiful Day. I loved that song, and I totally got it. I still love that video too.

My Grade 8 English exam had "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" in the poetry section. One of the questions was "What does Bono most likely mean when he says..." Something felt really good inside of me knowing that I knew that band and knew that song. I read the lyrics and was in awe. I remember at the end of the exam where they have all the credits for the material it mentioned "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" from 'The Joshua Tree'. I know it sounds lame, but it was a great sense of pride for me just seeing all this on a school exam.

For the next few years, I kept playing guitar and slowly growing more and more obsessed with music. In late 2002 I remember a band at my school I really liked covered With Or Without You... I can tell you to this day it is still one of the best covers I have ever heard. It was a poppunk band who turned the beautiful masterpiece that could be about Love or Faith into a high school love song. None of the lyrics were changed but how the singer delivered them. Obviously not as good as U2's(not even close), but the way it was done and at the time I had heard it meant alot.

It was in 2003 I got a revival and me and my buddies did possibly the worst cover of Beautiful Day that could ever be done. We never played it again.

Over 2003 I started getting into older rock bands more... I just wanted to hear more. One of the bands that I guess you could say were an "older" rock band were U2. I downloaded a few of the songs I really liked by U2, and I downloaded a few others. I just didn't like them too much. I don't know why, but I didn't.

2004 for me was the year of U2. I was 17 and had been through alot when I was 16 and I heard songs like Beautiful Day(again, as I hadn't heard it in a while) and I fell in love. I slowly started downloading others - I saw the video for New Years Day and couldn't believe how good the song was. Sunday Bloody Sunday(which I knew already) got me even more into it. I slowly picked up the songs. I saw Moulin Rouge and heard Ewan MacGregor sing a part of "Pride" and I was like "boo" and I downloaded U2's version. Holy crap. Bono pwns Ewan(I love Ewan, but come on)

By late 2004 I was still downloading alot of singles... but It never broke. I just never really broke into U2. I loved alot of there singles, especially Electrical Storm(which made me realize the difference between a singer with a nice voice, and a singer with a powerful AND nice voice). Vertigo came out and rocked my world. I was impressed. All Because Of You was released in Canada after and I was equally impressed. Damn I wanted HTDAAB! My brother got my mom the "U2 Live at Slane" DVD, and I was like "well, I'll have to watch that".

In January 2005, I heard a mighty operatic voice overtop a beautiful synth coming from my families living room. "Who is that?!" I thought, running downstairs. I think anyone who has seen the Live @ Slane DVD and sees the opening to "Where The Streets Have No Name" will know what I am talking about.

I can tell you right there. That moment. The power, the lights, Edge's appregio soaked with delay. I just stared in awe. I couldn't stop watching until the song was done. I loved that song, but seeing it there. I just GOT it. I just got everything. I got U2. I went out and bought All that You Can't Leave Behind, and I borrowed my mom's Joshua Tree CD. I watched that damn DVD 100s of times. I can't believe I never got into this band before. I always liked all the singles I had heard, but I didn't bother digging deeper. When I heard Bono wailing on that DVD, it just hit me. I have since bought many U2 CD's, and unfortunately, when I buy one It becomes my favourite album, and I can't stop listening to it. You'd think I'd get tired of the CD. Nope. So I'll play Achtung! Baby for a few weeks, than play All That You Can't Leave Behind, than maybe if I'm lucky get around to War, my latest purchase. Fall in love with War... listen to that for a while. "Damn I want to hear Ultraviolet again!" put on Achtung Baby. Listen to the whole damn CD because its so incredible. I just don't get it. So far out of all the U2 songs I have heard, there are only maybe 5% I don't like.

I don't know how to describe how I love U2. It was such a wierd way to get into a band. It danced in front of me for years until finally one voice pulled me in and I haven't got out. For almost a year, U2 have been my favourite band and I can't stop listening to them. Its not the only band I listen to, (I have many other bands I really, really, enjoy), but I am always going back to U2 and staying up way too late writing a giant essay proibably NO ONE is going to read). I could go into points in U2 songs where I want to shake the members hands. (Adam's bassline kicking in during the pre-chorus of Mysterious Ways recently made me play that song over a few songs), but there are just way to many. Obviously with Bono's lyrics and voice, Edge's passionate guitar that creates a feel(your not listening to a song, your in the song), and the incredible rhythm section... who thus far, have never ruined a U2 song I have heard(its sad how a good song can go to waste when the rhythm section starts trying to do something stupid). When I put on a U2 CD I am emerged in it. Very few bands can do that.

This band is incredible. I haven't even heard the albums Boy, October, The Unforgettable Fire, Rattle and Hum, Zooropa, or Discotheque... and I already know I can call this band my favourite band.

I know this sounds like pathetic attempt to be all "deep" but really this is just a guy who has found the greatest band in the world and finally realized he had to dig deeper - look into everything the band has to offer -not just the singles. I know it sounds stupid, but it is one of the greatest choices I have ever made. I am honored to have been able to listen to U2. I am so happy that this band has made this music, and they have literally changed my life. The first thing I did on New Years Eve was kiss my girlfriend and than blast "Where The Streets Have No Name" to myself(it was at a big party - unless it was some rap song no one was listening).

Good start.

(if no one wants to read that, thats fine. i just had to get it off my chest :D)

(by the way my name is Krys, I'm 18,my username is from the singer of my 2nd favourite band, I sing, play guitar, piano, and bass. i love this website for it has introduced me to some other people who love U2 as much as me... except are more knowledgable and have had the opportunity to go see U2 play live. I am very jealous of anyone who has seen U2 live, let alone as many times as some of you have. Rock on)

Great post Krys! :up: welcome to Interference

In January 2005, I heard a mighty operatic voice overtop a beautiful synth coming from my families living room. "Who is that?!" I thought, running downstairs. I think anyone who has seen the Live @ Slane DVD and sees the opening to "Where The Streets Have No Name" will know what I am talking about.

I hadn't listened to much U2 for quite a few years but this moment on the Slane DVD sent shivers down my spine and brought me back into the U2 fold. :)

If you had to do TheQuiet1's Top 10 U2 moments then the transition between All I Want Is You into Streets on the Slane DVD would probably be my number one.

Welcome, by the way! :wave:

Loved reading your post! I think most of us U2 fans have had one defining U2 moment where we just suddenly "got it". Mine was seeing U2s With or Without You video back in 1988.
:drool:

By the way, I think you mean the U2 album Pop. Discotheque is the first single from the Pop album. :nerd:

And The Police is one of my favourite bands too. I especially like Stings solo albums.

Welcome to the forum!:wave:

Hello and welcome, Krys:wave:

That's a great post. It sounds like you've got lots more U2 discoveries to come - enjoy!:up: :D

Love your post, Krys, it reminds me of how my son who will be 20 on Bono's birthday (yes they share a birthday!!) is coming to enjoy and appreciate U2 and good music from having heard U2 all of his years.

Welcome to Interference, and I hope to see you posting a lot. :wink: You write very well.

Thank you everyone for the kind welcoming. I only realize now I called the Pop Album DISCOTHEQUE but whatever. thanks for the correction hahaha. I always associate the song Discotheque with the Pop Album so thats why. (And yes, Sting's solo albums are damn good too. My favourite is Mercury Falling or Ten Summoners Tales)

Someone said I have many U2 discoveries to enjoy - damn right. The plus side of moving through these albums slowly is that I still have lots of material to go over haha.

Thanks again everyone.

Your story is alot like mine, even tho I am the same age as the boys in the band, I went thru all those years hearing them, but not HEARING them. Until 2005, wham! Like a lightning bolt I HEARD them like for the 1st time. The worst part is I HAD the Boy album in my hands the week it came out, but never got to listen to it (long story). Listen to it now tho, they were your age when they made that! Have fun catching up, I sure have! And hopefully you'll get to see them live soon. Portland last month was my 1st, and it was amazing. Oh and welcome!!! :)

bonocomet said:
The worst part is I HAD the Boy album in my hands the week it came out, but never got to listen to it (long story). [/B]

I would love to hear that story! I think its amazing people can discover this band at any age. I discover them at 17, and you discover them at the same age as the band themselves. incredible.

One day they will come to Winnipeg... and either way... the next tour im driving to see em.

Thanks again for the welcomes people!

Sting said:

I would love to hear that story! I think its amazing people can discover this band at any age. I discover them at 17, and you discover them at the same age as the band themselves. incredible.

One day they will come to Winnipeg... and either way... the next tour im driving to see em.

Thanks again for the welcomes people!

Ok But it's a sad story. (I have also posted it here somewhere in the forums before so sorry if I am repeating myself to anyone!). Back in 1980 I was 19, my boyfriend was a guitarist in a band. We'd go about once a week or so and pick up a random album by a totally new and usually unknown band just for fun & give em a listen and see how they were. One day we bought U2 Boy. At the time we thought the name of the band was U2 Boy because of how the album sleeve was printed. Had never heard of these guys! Well that night, boyfriend & buddies have a bit too much to drink and decide to play a game of frisbee out in the street but have no frisbee....... U2 Boy is unfortunately within sight and is the perfect substitute...... sacrilege is commited...... I never hear Boy. Now I know I had many opportunities over the years to appreciate them, but I JUST DIDN'T. I don't know why. We even kept the U2 Boy joke going for 25 years! (Yes I married him. And every time someone said "you too" over the years, we'de laugh and say "BOY!" )(I know it's dumb). Well anyways.... when this year I woke up and suddenly realized that I absolutely HAD to be witness to the Vertigo Tour, and there was only 1 show left I could make it to, and it was over a thousand miles away in Portland, and it was happening in less than 2 weeks..... yes I went. We both did. He thought The Edge was great. And that Bono is an amazing showman. It was amazing. I was in heaven! I collected the confetti afterwards and put it in my pocket.

Well sorry that was so long, but I told you! I hope you and I both have many more years of new U2 to discover ahead of us. Yay for you discovering them now! Enjoy!

Oh and I was a Police & Sting fan over all those years, so :)

I simply HAVE TO greet a newbie with THAT name....so: hello, hello, hope to read your posts often! Let alone that we seem to have the same taste in music! Mercury Falling is my very favourite, too!

Well sorry that was so long, but I told you! I hope you and I both have many more years of new U2 to discover ahead of us. Yay for you discovering them now! Enjoy!

Oh and I was a Police & Sting fan over all those years, so :)

Thats an amazing story! Sad, but interesting. I can almost see the CD gliding in the air... LOL.

I simply HAVE TO greet a newbie with THAT name....so: hello, hello, hope to read your posts often! Let alone that we seem to have the same taste in music! Mercury Falling is my very favourite, too!

Amazing. Lots of Police/Sting fans on this board too. U2 and The Police and Sting ... it can't get much better!

Sting said:

Thats an amazing story! Sad, but interesting. I can almost see the CD gliding in the air... LOL.

CD? Whats a CD? Haha! Well remember, this was 1980 so it was an LP record that was flying that night. It still pains me to think about it! However if U2 ever heard that story I hope they'd get a laugh out of it. I love that album now!! An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart was way ahead of it's time if you ask me, and you can't get a better "driving with the radio turned up" song than The Electric Co. !

LOL! Sorry. Forgot CD's werent the norm back in 1980. (Were they even around back then period?)

Sorry... than I can see the LP flying around.

I can't wait to hear that whole CD.

Haha! That's ok! But nope, no such thing as cd's yet when Boy was released. Hard to believe eh? Cd's didn't appear until a few years later, and even then it would be many years until most of us converted. Sometimes I still miss that scratchy sound of a favorite record just starting up.... ahhhh well....... :)

Hi me again! I just read Bonocomets story, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry!?! Using the Boy LP as a frisby!?! :shame: :D But on the subject of CD/LPs, I bought most of my U2 albums as LPs. Pop was the first album I bought as a cd.

Back
Top Bottom