when god created u2, he was just showing off - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Introduce Yourself in the Babyface Cafe
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2006, 02:44 AM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sting

I would love to hear that story! I think its amazing people can discover this band at any age. I discover them at 17, and you discover them at the same age as the band themselves. incredible.

One day they will come to Winnipeg... and either way... the next tour im driving to see em.

Thanks again for the welcomes people!
Ok But it's a sad story. (I have also posted it here somewhere in the forums before so sorry if I am repeating myself to anyone!). Back in 1980 I was 19, my boyfriend was a guitarist in a band. We'd go about once a week or so and pick up a random album by a totally new and usually unknown band just for fun & give em a listen and see how they were. One day we bought U2 Boy. At the time we thought the name of the band was U2 Boy because of how the album sleeve was printed. Had never heard of these guys! Well that night, boyfriend & buddies have a bit too much to drink and decide to play a game of frisbee out in the street but have no frisbee....... U2 Boy is unfortunately within sight and is the perfect substitute...... sacrilege is commited...... I never hear Boy. Now I know I had many opportunities over the years to appreciate them, but I JUST DIDN'T. I don't know why. We even kept the U2 Boy joke going for 25 years! (Yes I married him. And every time someone said "you too" over the years, we'de laugh and say "BOY!" )(I know it's dumb). Well anyways.... when this year I woke up and suddenly realized that I absolutely HAD to be witness to the Vertigo Tour, and there was only 1 show left I could make it to, and it was over a thousand miles away in Portland, and it was happening in less than 2 weeks..... yes I went. We both did. He thought The Edge was great. And that Bono is an amazing showman. It was amazing. I was in heaven! I collected the confetti afterwards and put it in my pocket.

Well sorry that was so long, but I told you! I hope you and I both have many more years of new U2 to discover ahead of us. Yay for you discovering them now! Enjoy!

Oh and I was a Police & Sting fan over all those years, so

Old 01-08-2006, 06:24 PM   #17
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:07 AM

Welcome!

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Bonochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 02:16 PM   #18
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:07 AM
I simply HAVE TO greet a newbie with THAT name....so: hello, hello, hope to read your posts often! Let alone that we seem to have the same taste in music! Mercury Falling is my very favourite, too!
Old 01-09-2006, 08:25 PM   #19
The Fly

Local Time: 01:07 AM
Quote:
Well sorry that was so long, but I told you! I hope you and I both have many more years of new U2 to discover ahead of us. Yay for you discovering them now! Enjoy!

Oh and I was a Police & Sting fan over all those years, so
Thats an amazing story! Sad, but interesting. I can almost see the CD gliding in the air... LOL.

Quote:
I simply HAVE TO greet a newbie with THAT name....so: hello, hello, hope to read your posts often! Let alone that we seem to have the same taste in music! Mercury Falling is my very favourite, too!
Amazing. Lots of Police/Sting fans on this board too. U2 and The Police and Sting ... it can't get much better!
Old 01-09-2006, 11:30 PM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sting

Thats an amazing story! Sad, but interesting. I can almost see the CD gliding in the air... LOL.

CD? Whats a CD? Haha! Well remember, this was 1980 so it was an LP record that was flying that night. It still pains me to think about it! However if U2 ever heard that story I hope they'd get a laugh out of it. I love that album now!! An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart was way ahead of it's time if you ask me, and you can't get a better "driving with the radio turned up" song than The Electric Co. !
Old 01-11-2006, 02:29 AM   #21
The Fly

Local Time: 01:07 AM
LOL! Sorry. Forgot CD's werent the norm back in 1980. (Were they even around back then period?)

Sorry... than I can see the LP flying around.

I can't wait to hear that whole CD.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:18 AM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor

Haha! That's ok! But nope, no such thing as cd's yet when Boy was released. Hard to believe eh? Cd's didn't appear until a few years later, and even then it would be many years until most of us converted. Sometimes I still miss that scratchy sound of a favorite record just starting up.... ahhhh well.......
Old 01-12-2006, 12:55 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:07 AM
Hi me again! I just read Bonocomets story, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry!?! Using the Boy LP as a frisby!?! But on the subject of CD/LPs, I bought most of my U2 albums as LPs. Pop was the first album I bought as a cd.