U2 has become my all-time favorite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J. McMahon

Babyface
I'm just a couple of years older than Bono and the boys, and grew up listening to great bands like The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Doors, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd, ELP, etc....

To be honest I didn't even notice U2 until the song "Mysterious Ways" came along in 1991. I bought "Achtung Baby" on cassette and liked it a lot, although my favorite bands at that time were Guns N' Roses, Jane's Addiction, and Metallica. U2 was just kind of in the background of my musical interests. Little did I know...

In fact I went through most of the 90's owning only two U2 albums, "Achtung Baby" on cassette and "The Joshua Tree" on CD. My overall interest in rock'n'roll kind of diminished as I got older, so I think that contributed to me not realizing what a great band U2 was and still is.

A year or so ago something possessed me to buy the Slane Castle DVD and...WOW! U2 impressed the hell out of me! I immediately started filling in my collection by buying all of U2's CD's from "Boy" right through to "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb", as well as their other DVD's. And now I listen to U2 almost constantly! :) I'm looking forward to the Vertigo tour DVD very much. I'm sure I'll be watching it many, many times.

In addition to making some great music for 25+ years, I'm very impressed with the fact that U2 has stayed together with the same lineup from the time they released their first album in 1980 to the present. That is very rare in rock'n'roll. Most bands fall into the trap of drug and alcohol abuse and burn out, or break up due to clashing egos within the band. U2 has survived for 25+ years and that impresses the hell out of me. They seem very together, and that is very cool. They are a true gem in rock'n'roll history.

So I hereby declare U2 to be my all-time favorite band. I'm a little late in realizing how great they are, but better late than never. I regard Bono as being the best lead singer I've ever heard. I have many favorite songs from all stages of their career, but "Kite" might be my favorite, along with "One", "Bad", "Elevation", "New Years Day".... the list goes on and includes songs like "So Cruel" and "Staring At The Sun", and "I Threw A Brick Through A Window".

BTW I'm of Irish descent, so it's only natural that U2 has become my favorite :)

J. McMahon

J. McMahon said:
I have many favorite songs from all stages of their career, but "Kite" might be my favorite, along with "One", "Bad", "Elevation", "New Years Day".... the list goes on and includes songs like "So Cruel" and "Staring At The Sun", and "I Threw A Brick Through A Window".

J. McMahon

:wave: Welcome.

Wait till you find the B sides and unreleased stuff etc...there is so much more to discover ... Enjoy!

Nice story J. I've also just really discovered them in the past year and regret all those wasted years of ignorance. Haha. Hope you get to see them in concert someday as nothing beats that.

It was kinda similar for me. For anyone interested this is why I am now such a massive U2 fan. I warn you, it's a long read...

I wasn't really much of a music person until the start of the new year. I didn't own any CD's or anything but I got the Franz Ferdinand album for my birthday and from that point I took a serious interest in music. Whilst flipping through the music channels 1 day in April I come across 'Pride (In the name of love)' and being an avid Simpsons fan, say to myself ''Hey that's the song they were singing on the Simpsons, it's a great song.'' A couple of days later I was watching the 50 greatest rock bands of all time thing on VH2 and guess who was no.1? They showed the Red Rocks performance of 'Sunday Bloody Sunday'. After this I knew I had to get at least 1 U2 CD, so I started by buying the best of 1980-1990. After becoming addicted to it I heard my mums friend was selling her tickets for the Glasgow concert. Upon hearing this I knew I would never forgive myself if I didn't go. So here I was going to my first music concert, and wow, what a way to start. I had the greatest night of my life even though I only knew a few of the songs. After this I decided to get some of their proper albums and by mid-September I had them all. They are pretty much all I listen to now because their music changed, perhaps even saved my life. Perhaps I should explain. This has been possibly the worst year I have ever had, deaths of several family members, D-day as far as my future for getting into uni went, being dumped by my girlfriend for no reason, the list went on and on. I almost felt like killing myself, then one day, I was spiritually resurrected. That day was the concert. U2's music taught me to stand up to these problems in life and be grateful for what you do have, not sorry for what you don't. I have been confused about so many aspects of life for as long as I can remember but any time I listen to U2, I find the answer. My whole perspective of life has completely changed thanks to them. Whereas before when a problem arised I would run and hide from it, I now take it in the chin and come out standing. For the first time since my childhood, I feel happy again, like a complete person.
And that my friends is why U2 are my favourite band by a considerable distance.

Thanks!

Thank you very much for the welcome messages :)

And thanks, Karlonthe2nd, for sharing your story. U2's music is definitely more uplifting and spiritual compared to some bands I've been into in the past. I'm glad they have been so inspirational to you personally, and I'm sure the members of the band would be happy to know that their music has made a positive difference in your life.

And now I've got a DVD to watch a little later tonight. My copy of Vertigo 2005 has arrived and is ready to be played! :rockon:

Thanks again! :)

J. McMahon

Oh my God...

I just watched the Zoo TV video Live From Sydney for the first time, and all I can say is U2 is one of the most brilliant bands to ever come along. I was too blinded by Axl at the time to realize it...

That was friggin' awesome, and now I think I'll throw on Slane Castle.

Back
Top Bottom