Time to De-lurk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

japes4

The Fly
Hi Everybody,

I registered quite some time ago but for some reason I have never posted until now. In the midst of this new tour and everything I have found myself trawling through the posts more than I ever have so I thought it was about time I introduced myself.

My name is Japes and I am a graduate student of history who has just completed his doctorate (nope, I'm not 15). I am currently unemployed but I am persuing several options including teaching. Latin American history is my primary pursuit but I have many other hobbies that I am passionate about. These include travelling, following politics, movies, anime and record collecting (particularly U2).

I have loved U2 ever since I purchased the Unforgettable Fire on cassette back in 1985. Although my enthusiasm waned a bit after Zooropa I became absolutely fanatical about the band when Pop was released. Since about 1997 I've been into all things U2 and have been slowly amassing their vinyl releases. I am an audiophile so I am really particularly about which pressings are superior to others soundwise. Feel free to ask about me some of my opinions U2 or otherwise.

Until recently (bad incident), I was an avid concert goer. I have seen U2 four times, starting with Zoo Tv (first leg), then Popmart (first leg) and finally Elevation (first and third leg). I do not yet have tickets to the Vertigo tour but I really hope to see at least one show on this tour.

Its great to see so many enthusiastic fans here. I am looking forward to some really great discussions.

Japes

Hi, welcome to the forum. :wave:

Ah another vinyl collector. So which U2 releases do you have on vinyl now? I don't have many of the albums yet, been trying to build up a collection of singles etc though. I also have some bootlegs on vinyl but the sound of those can be kinda iffy. :wink:

neutral said:
Hi, welcome to the forum. :wave:

Ah another vinyl collector. So which U2 releases do you have on vinyl now? I don't have many of the albums yet, been trying to build up a collection of singles etc though. I also have some bootlegs on vinyl but the sound of those can be kinda iffy. :wink:

Thanks Neutral, you too Tiny Dancer.

I don't have every album represented on vinyl. I don't really buy stock copies unless they are best versions available of a particular album (don't have that much storage space).

Recently, I've purchased UK pressings of the "Best of" double vinyl compilations (1980-1990 took me forever to find). They both sound great being that they were both mastered from the original tapes (albeit digital mastering). Just last week I picked up a UK pressing of Zooropa which also sounds nice.

Over the years I've amassed quite a few 7"s:

2 sets of U2 PAC2s
1 set of U2 PAC3
(I'm still looking for "For U2 Play" - PAC1 for a reasonable price)
Japanese Sunday Bloody Sunday
Unforgettable Fire UK double 7"
New Year's Day UK double 7"
Pride UK double 7"
Fire UK double 7"
Wire 2fer w/ Cocteau Twins NME promo
I Will Follow US promo w/poster
In God's Country US
Miss Sarajevo UK w/poster
Vertigo US
a few individual Irish 7"s (no colored vinyl - too expensive)

As far as 12"s

U23 UK
Two Hearts UK
Pride UK (blue cover)
Lemon US (yellow vinyl)
Fire UK
New Year's Day/Two Hearts (French)
New Year's Day UK
I Will Follow 2fer w/Steve Winwood (Island promo)
Even Better UK remixes
Elevation UK remixes
A Sort of Homecoming US promo
With or Without You UK
Sunday Bloody Sunday UK
Unforgettable Fire UK
Melon UK promo sampler

I have one 10" (Lemon UK remixes, yellow vinyl)

In terms of full length albums, I also have:

Unforgettable Fire (Mobile Fidelity 200 gram Limited Edition)
Boy (US w/ promo stamp)

As you can see my U2 vinyl collection is by no means complete. You could spend a lifetime looking and still not find everything (even if you concentrated on one country!). Sure is fun to try. :D

Last edited:
Hi japes! :wave:

How many CDS do you own? Where did you attend your shows?

Hope you manage to get some tix for this year! :wink:

Looks like i'm going to a total of 3 shows so far, tho' i'll be praying like crazy to be able to go to the 3rd nite at Dublin!! :hyper:

Hello Susan, Bonochick, et al.

In addition to all of the US full-length CD releases I own:

Japanese Actung Baby w/ obi strip
Japanese Pop w/ obi strip
Lemon remixes (Japan) w/ obi strip
All That You Can't Leave Behind NME sampler
Elevation Tomb Raider US promo
Elevation UK (Limited Edition)
Elevation UK DVD-single
Elevation Best Buy Sampler
Stuck in a Moment US promo
Stuck in a Moment pt. 1 & 2 (Canada)
Stuck in a Moment (French Limited Edition) w/postcards
Walk On US promo
Walk On pt. 1 & 2 (Canada)
Beautiful Day EP (Japan) w/obi strip
Please US
Please UK
If God Will Send His Angels US
Mofo UK
Staring at the Sun US
Discotheque US
Last Night on Earth UK
Last Night on Earth US
Miss Sarajevo UK
Stay UK
Even Better Remixes UK
Mysterious Ways US
The Fly US
One US
All I Want is You (Austria)
Angel of Harlem (Austria)
When Love Comes to Town (Austria)
With or Without You (Austria)
Unforgettable Fire (Austria)
Sunday Bloody Sunday (Austria)
Fire (Austria)

I also have all three Gold CDs (War, Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree) issued by Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs - the best sound ever!

I'm really behind on the Atomic Bomb singles.
I also don't own Passengers.

As far as my concert attendance:

Zoo Tv (first leg) Hampton Coliseum - Hampton, VA
Popmart (first leg) RFK Stadium - Washington D.C.
Elevation (first leg) Pepsi Arena - Albany, NY
Elevation (third leg) Madison Square Garden (last night) - New York, NY

As far as this tour goes: I'd love to but I suffered a serious hearing injury at a Stooges/Strokes/New York Dolls gig last year. It was jackass loud and I stayed too long before I realized that I had damaged my ears (forgot earplugs).

I have permanent tinitus to this day. So I'm a little nervous about going to show, even with earplugs. I'm still considering Philly or MSG if I can get tickets. :|

Obi is a Japanese word meaning "belt." Obis in the record collecting world are the paper sashes that wrap around the record jacket with information about the artist and album in Japanese language. Obi strips are used on CDs for the same reason but are smaller and only partially wrapped around the jewel case.

The sash on the HTDAB serves the same function as the obi on Japanese record albums.

Well, It looks like I'm going to a Vertigo show after all. After my doctor gave me the go ahead (with earplugs of course), I manage to snag a couple of Philadelphia tickets for 5/22. They're not the greatest but they were relatively inexpensive compared to GA and some of the others. I'm really psyched to be seeing U2 for a fifth time.

Back
Top Bottom