Old member... Coming back to life! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Introduce Yourself in the Babyface Cafe
Old 04-07-2007, 04:23 PM   #1
War Child
Local Time: 04:17 PM
Old member... Coming back to life!

I have been a U2 fan all my life; ever since I was 9 to be precise, that's when I heard the album PoP. This was, I reckon, back in 1996 or 97. Ever since then every cell in my body loves U2, from what they were to what they are now.

My first U2 concert was the Elevation Tour of 2001, I went to one of the two shows in DC; I was eleven back then. I did see Bono live in 2000 when he sang a lovely performance of "One" during the millennium celebrations in Washington DC. I went to two back-to-back Vertigo shows here in DC one and a half years ago. And, about a year ago in Febuary I went to see Bono speak at a conference in DC about the crisis of AIDs in Africa, etc. That's basically what I have seen of U2, live, and I don't think I need to re-iterate the magnificence I witnessed. That's nothing compared to some of you who goto 20 shows a tour to see them live. Personally, I just don't have enough time and money with my prime concern being my education.

I'm a pretty moderate fan, I don't worship U2 like some fans... but I certainly love them with all my heart. I have over a few hundreg gigabytes worth their data and it's a joy to have a lot of their bootlegs and rare collections, but there is just no stop that; but that's not important, you can't measure someone's allegiance and fanaticism.

Well anyways, ever since the concert I went to a year and a half ago, I've just been so out of it, I literally went on a year long vacation away from U2 because I was 24/7 into U2 back then. I don't know about you guys but if I follow one thing religiously for a long period of time, things become predictable and mundane, so you need that little break to bring back that spice.

Lately, for about the last 6 months, I have been so lost and so alone and I think I know the reason why; I think it's because I've been too distant from U2. Another thing that scares me is that, it's 2007, I don't know if you guys notice this but... Bono will turn 47 and so will the other members in the group. That thought scares me to death knowing that U2 are old now, and I always had this bright, visceral, flamboyant, electric picture in my head everytime I thought about U2. This acts as quite the reason for me to come back.

Why did I not realise this before? I am a college student and I am utterly busy out of my mind these days, and it's really seldom I get time for myself let alone others. And frankly, I've been a little afraid of what U2 have become over the last few years. They've become these media darlings, sell-out marketeering business-men... but someone told me that they were always these things. I really don't like this "business" side of U2 where they insist on releasing these U2 iPods, and things like U2 Singles (which there's really not a need of), to drain money out of us fans. After the Chicago DVD, I havn't bought anything really. But I heard they've come up with the ZooTV and Popmart DVD? that certainly is a joy for someone like me who takes much more pleasure in U2's earlier material.

But anyways... I'm coming back to life and I need some help from you guys to bring myself up-to-date with what U2 has been up with, any new performances? new speeches by Bono? new album info? anything... I'll be duly grateful.

Thanks for reading,

bonoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 04:53 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 09:17 PM
Welcome back Bonoz! Great introductory post.

TheQuiet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 05:35 PM   #3
Blue Crack Distributor
Local Time: 08:17 PM
Yes, welcome back , and I agree with TheQuiet1 about your introductory. I'm glad that you have come to the world of U2.
Into the heart of a child...
tiny dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:12 PM   #4
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!
Local Time: 01:17 PM
That was the best introductory post I've ever read, and I couldn't have said it better myself. Welcome to the Blue Craic, hope to see you around more!
Carek1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 11:15 AM   #5
Forum Moderator
Local Time: 04:17 PM

Welcome back!
"Knight in shining Zubaz."

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Bonochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:24 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict
Welcome. I don't think you should worry about anything. They still are a great band and really great guys, men of integrity. I think everyone should be proud to be a fan. And we all don't get younger, that doesn't mean anything, really. Hope you'll enjoy your stay here.
last unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:19 AM   #7
Local Time: 03:17 PM
Welcome back
Bono's Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:02 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier
Bono-jour!! welcome back to Interland
waynetravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:58 PM   #9
Local Time: 08:17 PM
Yes Welcome! And yeah, we are all getting older and I too, have grown up with U2 since 1981 at least! And stick with them...you never know what they will do next!
forbonou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:39 PM   #10
New Yorker
Location: mainly in my fantasy land.....ooooo how I wish it were reality
Local Time: 02:17 PM
Originally posted by tiny dancer
Yes, welcome back , and I agree with TheQuiet1 about your introductory. I'm glad that you have come to the world of U2.
I second that too!
Kiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:03 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 10:17 PM
Hello there and welcome back
JanuaryStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:01 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 02:17 PM
Nice post ... Welcome to Interference !!

MsMofoGone is offline   Reply With Quote