Hi guys, from Melbourne Oz!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2mikie

The Fly
Hi guys!

I am just new here and my name is Mikie. I`m 35 Years old and from Melbourne, Australia.
I always knew of U2 and their music, through my sister epsecially (who was a big fan when they were just starting out) and really got taken by them after seeing them live with her in 1993. Ever since then i have been crazy for them and anything to do with them!
Over the years i`ve collected everything from their music to several pairs of sunglasses (same makes and models as worn by Bono over the years, and from all over the world! One of my obsessions....ha ha!) and even licence plates! My three prized sets being, U2BONO, U2EDGE and the ultimate plate for a u2 fan and the ones currently on my car......U2FAN.
My U2 highlight though was when i actually came face to face with Bono! It was in November 2006, during the re-scheduled Vertigo tour. It was just fate that i went to their hotel at the right time, with a few other U2 fans! Bono was checking out and on his way to their next stop, New Zealand. Before he left he took the time to sign autographs and pose for photos with the few of us that were there! I was literally shaking when he got to me, and all i had with me was my concert ticket stub and my Vertigo tour t-shirt, which i had on. I wasn`t really prepared as i just took a chance at going to their hotel and seeing any of them.
I was speechless, and before that day i always thought about what i`d say if i ever met the great man, and when the time came the only words that came out of my mouth were, "Thank you so much!" The freaky thing was that after he signed my ticket, without me asking him he took it upon himself to sign my t-shirt (While i was wearing it!) as well! It sounds corny but it was as if for a brief few seconds we shared some sort of special connection! I was just ecstatic that he did that!
After it all happened i asked the other fans (none of whom i knew) if any of them happened to take a snap of him with me. One girl told me to go to a certain website that night and that anyone who took pics would probably upload them on there. Well later that night, to my absolute excitement there it was, a pic of the both of us as he was signing my ticket! I Managed to track down the girl who took the pic via e-mail and thanked her immensely!

Anyway...sorry for the extremely long introduction.....he he! I hope you enjoyed it! I just wanted to share my passion for U2 with you all!

Cheers,
Mikie.

P.S.
Counting the days to "No Line On The Horizon" I have a feeling it`s gonna be something special!!

Hey Mikie!!

I was there on the same day with my best friend!!! flyvariax, he's also newish to the forum. I hardly post on this thing until recently with the huge hype of NLOTH.

Funny story, my friend and I felt much the same and we tried to take photos but we were so nervous they all turned out shaky, haha.
Would be great if u could link me up with those photos from that day, maybe we are in them!

When it was my turn to get his signature I felt like such a hog as I had my own copy of u218 singles, vertigo poster, and another copy of u218 to give to my uncle as a birthday present. In a real nervous voice i asked bono if he could please make it out to steve as a birthday present. He looked at me with a sly grin and started to draw a birthday cake. He then used the cake as one of his O's in BONO. Pretty cool I thought!

Anyway enough ranting...

u2australia

Hey Mikie!!

I was there on the same day with my best friend!!! flyvariax, he's also newish to the forum. I hardly post on this thing until recently with the huge hype of NLOTH.

Funny story, my friend and I felt much the same and we tried to take photos but we were so nervous they all turned out shaky, haha.
Would be great if u could link me up with those photos from that day, maybe we are in them!

When it was my turn to get his signature I felt like such a hog as I had my own copy of u218 singles, vertigo poster, and another copy of u218 to give to my uncle as a birthday present. In a real nervous voice i asked bono if he could please make it out to steve as a birthday present. He looked at me with a sly grin and started to draw a birthday cake. He then used the cake as one of his O's in BONO. Pretty cool I thought!

Anyway enough ranting...
Hi there!

If you go to google and type in u2australia (one word like this) it will come up with a Yahoo website called u2australia, it should be the first result that you see. Just go to the site and on the left hand side they have all the options and one of them is photos.
The only thing is it says members only at the top of the options, so you just have to join up to the site, which doesn`t cost anything.
Anyway, when you get into the photos section you will see the photos from that day.
I hope you find some of yourself, and when you find the site let me know and i`ll tell you which one i`m in.

Best regards,
Mikie.

Hi Mikie and everyone else

Along with my mate stratocaster (jon), I've been a long time follower of this forum, especially during the tour in 2005/2006 and again with the build-up to No Line on the Horizon.

Reading through posts and listening to stories I think there would be quite of few people from these forums we would have at least seen or come across at various U2 events.

Thanks Mikie for the links to that website, unfortunately could not find any pics of ourselves. Was a great day though!

Ian

That`s ok guys!

The pic of me and Bono is pretty close up and was taken by a girl named Kylie. Her name should be under the pic somewhere. Bono is on your right facing your left and signing my ticket, i`m on your left with short black hair and the olive green Vertigo Tour t-shirt on, looking down at him signing and smiling...he he! His minder (the guy in the yellow polo), is sort of in the middle of the pic in the background.

Nice getting to know you guys anyway! :wave:

Bring on March 2nd!!!!

The first single shouldn`t be far away either!

Jan 19th hopefully....

I uploaded some photos on the yahoo group in the 3d album and the day we all got our stuff signed. I thought id embarass my poor friend ian by posting a pick of him looking super excited with bono's ear in the background. Haha, i cant really speak, as I hardly took any photos that werent shaky.
By the way mikie, in the 3d album thats me on the left in the pic with the aussie u2 show band and ian is the bloke with the rasta beanie.... dont ask ha

I just saw the pics....cool!

U2 3D shouldn`t be far off a dvd release either. Don`t know if it will come with 3D glasses or just be a normal picture.
The OZ U2 Show are great aren`t they! I`ve seen them quite a few times over the years and they always impress me! I told my fiance i want them for the band at our wedding...he he! I wonder if they do private functions?
I might e-mail them and find out if they do, and if so how much they charge! The guests might not appreciate an all U2 wedding though, unless they`re willing to play a bit of other stuff too. Worth finding out anyway!

Regards, Mikie.

Hey guys!

Sorry, forgot to mention this in the last post.

I want some advice...! I`ve got some U2 number plates at home and want to know which ones to put on my car!
They are,

U2FAN
U2BONO
U2EDGE

I had U2FAN on my old car and when i traded it in i took them off and haven`t yet put them on my new car. I was spewing, because i wanted them on "a" car at the time of the Vertigo Tour in 2006, but i was in between cars!
I thought now that the new album is about to hit and U2 will be surfacing again it`s a good time to put one of them on!

let me know what you guys think!

Regards, Mikie.

Hey Mikie,

You kno something bout the DVD release of 3D or just hoping its soon? My friend and I were thinking that it would be great if they released a special edition with some funky fly-like glasses or bono-esque styl,e instead of a piece of cardboard with blue and red cellophane.

That would be great if you got Aussie U2 show at ur wedding. If your fiance loves it too then I think guests would respect and enjoy it anyway. They seem like really nice blokes, so if you email them and let em kno that you've seen them a few times they might be happy to do it!

On ur last msg..... A couple months ago i was driving to uni (Melbourne to Geelong) and I saw an older 90s blue Ford Fairlane or Falcon, with the plates U2FAN. I got pretty excited so i tried to keep up to honk the car as I had "streets" live belting in my car. Problem was the driver was flying through traffic and I couldnt weave my way through. tried to take a photo on my phone of the plates while driving, but didnt work... Though I thought it was a woman driving.....

In answering ur question, i guess it depends on the car... but I do like U2EDGE and U2BONO as they look more complete. U2EDGE i would personally put on, specially with NLOTH being said to be a very 'guitar' album. You cant really go wrong tho mikie. Ill be keeping a lookout on the Melb streets for ya! Ha

Jon

Gotta love the Oz U2 show, great bunch of guys!
Mikie, I'd say go with U2FAN unless you have a particular bias towards either Bono or Edge for whatever reason.

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I`ll put U2FAN back on!

That blue Ford wasn`t me....he he! I don`t know how they could have the same plates, unless they were interstate plates?? I`m gonna ring vic roads now and make sure there hasn`t been some mix up and they`ve given someone those plates when they are already taken....you never know!
No, i don`t know the release date for U23D, just assuming it might be soon.

Take care guys,
Mikie.

Back
Top Bottom