Hey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chulia83

Babyface
Hello everyone :wave:

another newbie here , I'm from germany and would love to share some thoughts with you about U2. My apologies in advance for any bad language mistakes ;)

U2's music was a huge part of my growing up, I remember my first actual and aware contact with their work was when "Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me" was released. I was around 13 at that time.
Since then I followed their music and discovered their earlier works.

Sadly I'm late to the party when it comes to live shows with the lads - I only attended my first U2 gig in 2015 in Cologne for the IE-Tour... I came home afterwards and instantly felt that this was a very special show. It felt very intimate though the concert was set in a rather impersonal indoor arena with usually terrible acoustics. But somehow they managed to create a feeling with the stage, the lights (remembering the settings for "City of Blinding Lights" very clear, it was so beautiful <3) and the LED Screen which all made it more personal than expectet. It felt all quite warm and and friendly and the band seemed to be very close with their audience. That this is a very common U2-thing - being close with their fans and always trying to connect with them - I just learned at that time :doh: But after that gig, it suddenly came clear to me, that I really missed out a fucking great live band for YEARS. Heavy regrets on here :sad:
But I have to admit, I am a huge Muse Fan too, I spent much money on their gigs and travelling and many other great bands fell backwards for them. Now I'm a bit older and maybe a bit wiser (gigwise ;) ) and I will make sure this won't happen again in this extent in the future.

When they announced the JT30 gigs I got beyond excited and called up my friend if she would join me again, me, the nervous wreck I was back in 2015 in Cologne.
So we decided Amsterdam could be a nice location for a little trip with a U2 gig included. We tried to get tickets for saturday night and failed. Miserably. It felt like all tickets were sold out within 3 seconds. We were disappointed, we almost get tickets for every show we want to see. But a few hours later the big relieve, a second gig for sunday was announced. It wasn't an easy run this time either, but we bought what the online ticketing-system offered to us because it seemed that we couldn't choose what we originally wanted ( I think the demand was as high as for saturday and we wanted standing tickets in the first place): 3 seats right hand to the stage, limited side view.
Didn't matter, we got it and I was very relieved and happy. I would see U2 again - didn't expect that it would happen again so fast after the IE gig :)

And so the weekend in Amsterdam came and... blew me away. So much more than the first time.
Though it wasn't that personal atmosphere because stadiums... eh :D but the love and the vibes were there and Joshua Tree in it's full glory... Now I am completely down the rabbit hole :laugh: I will try to attend as many U2 gigs in the future as possible and try not be too sad that I didn't begin with gigs at an earlier age.

And now I decided to join you, because I need more like-minded people and a bulletin board feels always a bit like home - that's how I joined the Muse world years ago, too :)

Sorry, this one's got maybe a bit toooo long and a bit tooooo fangirlish... But thanks for letting me be part of your community.

Cheers :beer::beer:,
Julia

Your English is quite good.

I am only 18, but have been a U2 fan for my whole life. I have been hearing them in my house since birth since both of my parents are big fans. My brothers are the same as me: fans since birth. However, my brother isn't quite as into music yet as the rest of us. Though he is entering high school, which is when I begin to truly realize what my favorite bands were and what music I like. So I expect the same to happen to him soon.

My parents never took me to any concerts as a kid (for a few reasons), but we were all able to get tickets for the Joshua Tree 2017 concert in Philadelphia. It was my first concert that was not an orchestra (I had been to a video game concert for The Legend of Zelda series, which has incredible music, and it was amazing). I absolutely loved the U2 concert. I often think about how it sucks that I missed out on so many U2 tours since I am roughly 20 years younger than the band. I also grew from a fan to a diehard a couple of years ago. I went from knowing a lot of their songs to knowing every album song and knowing nearly every B-side.

I hope I can go to at least a few more U2 concerts in my life. The band is getting older, but hopefully they continue to perform at least a little while longer. Some U2 fans will never be able to see them live, such as impoverished people who people who become fans after the band members have passed away or disbanded. So I am very glad that I will at least have seen one!

Thank you for your post! It was a good read. Hopefully mine is as well. These forums really are a great way to meet other U2 fans. It's always awesome to me that this band has so many fans worldwide.

-Ian

Hey Ian,

thanks for your nice reply :)
It's always cool having a family with a great taste in music.
I also hope that U2 keep on touring and making great music for many years, but I think they are still very fit and smooth on stage. And age is only a number ;)

As you said, we should be grateful to be alive while they are already living legends and take every possible opportunity to see them live on stage :)
For example, I only learned that Jeff Buckley died already in 1997 when I grew on his music a few years ago and I was so gutted that I will never ever have a chance to see him perform :(

So, let's enjoy what we have now :)

Hey Ian,

thanks for your nice reply :)
It's always cool having a family with a great taste in music.
I also hope that U2 keep on touring and making great music for many years, but I think they are still very fit and smooth on stage. And age is only a number ;)

As you said, we should be grateful to be alive while they are already living legends and take every possible opportunity to see them live on stage :)
For example, I only learned that Jeff Buckley died already in 1997 when I grew on his music a few years ago and I was so gutted that I will never ever have a chance to see him perform :(

So, let's enjoy what we have now :)

Sorry for the late reply. I never saw that you replied until now.

I hope they continue performing and making music as well! They certainly are still amazing live, and I still love their recent work.

When I was little, I was a big INXS fan. I listened to their album Kick all the time. Back then, I had no idea that the lead singer Michael Hutchence was already dead. I learned as I got older, and it saddens me that I will never be able to see him alive, especially since I still like the band to this day.

I am very happy that have had the chance to see U2, as they are my favorite band ever, and probably always will be. I hope I can see them many more times before the band breaks up, or in a sad scenario: one of them dies. We are all very lucky that they are all still together, as there is no other band that has had the same members for over 40 years while continuing to make new music!

So yes, let's absolutely continue to enjoy what we have! :)

Back
Top Bottom