Hello, it's me, PopMartian33106! (My story)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PopMartian33107

Acrobat
Hi! I'm Alex, aka PopMartian33106. Nice to meet you all. :wave:

There's no story behind the numbers in my name, but there's a BIG story concerning how I became a U2 fan. Let me take you back, guys and gals, to a simpler time in America's history...

May 21. 1998. "Trash of the Titans", it was a Simpsons episode, and a good one at that.

I was enjoying watching this milestone episode with my family, until suddenly, this group who call themselves U2 enters the screen...well, actually, Homer atends the concert. More specifically, Homer wants to get himself seen on the big screen jumbotrons at the concert.

He does so, with varying degrees of success. In fact, Homer gets BEATEN UP by the roadies _on_ the jumbotrons while U2 sings a song called "Pride". I turn over to see my then-four-year-old sister Donna laughing more than I've EVER seen her laugh in my entire life. Gut-busting laughs, I tell you.

And so am I!

We constantly rewind to this part that night on our VCR, just to see Homer get beat up on the big tv concert screens. And the more we watch, the more I begin to really, REALLY like this song called "Pride"....(it's the Rattle and Hum live rendition, btw).

I search the internet the next day, and to my surprise, find that there are many, MANY sites devoted to U2! And it looks like they're a really good band.

In my mind, I think, "what the heck, that was a great song on the Simpsons", and purchase The Unforgettable Fire for a mere ten bucks at our local Suncoast.

The rest, as they say, is history.

Who woulda ever believed that my sister's reaction to a Simpsons cartoon would change my life forever, for the better I might add? :D

Well, here I am, a huge U2 fanatic, getting ready to see two Vertigo shows. And I've enjoyed reading many posts here, as well.

Sadly, I never did get to see that U2 concert with the big jumbotrons that was featured on the Simpsons....what was it called? PopMart, I think? :wink: (Just kidding!)

Take care, everyone!

That's All...

hehe cool story. I love the Simpsons! I actually saw that episode a long time ago but must've been about 8, and so didn't know or care who U2 were. But I do remember seeing that one, it was about the trash dump and Springfield split in 2 with Homer leading one side, right? hehe...

anyway, welcome :wave:

Back
Top Bottom