Hello from Nostalgic Aussie!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LenaMac

Babyface
Hi there,

Sorry this is so long but it's been 26 years in the making!

Old fan here, literally and figuratively. I first saw U2 in Brisbane on their first Aussiie tour in 1984 when I was 17. It had a massive impact on me. I have never been to a U2 fan site before but the hype surrounding 360 degree tour just about to commence its Australian leg made me nostalgic.

What a great place this is! When I saw them I only had fellow U2 fans at school to talk to about them (which numbered about 5, nobody else had heard of them or cared). To fill the hole my best friend and I used to take turns to call Windmill Lane from a public phone and ask to speak to Bono. Strangely, he was never around but the receptionist did always go and check!

We joined Amnesty International because of them, got turned on to some great bands like the Clash and Stiff Little Fingers thanks to them, as well as a whole host of Irish musicians like Christy Moore, Clannad (check out music from Harry's Game which they played over the PA at the start of shows in 1983/1984) and Sinead O'Connor, who Edge did a single with early, early in her career called Heroine - just gorgeous .

I remember we photocopied pictures of Bono with the word "REJOICE" hand written underneath in black marker and stuck them up on telegraph poles around the city to celebrate the yearly anniversary of the first time we saw them live. We were MAD! :) We even wrote some early fanfic about them back in 1984. I wish I still had it, it'd be great for a laugh.

Anyhow, I'm happy to see that U2 is still bringing as much excitement and happiness to people who are seeing them for the first time on this tour as I got when I first saw them and that people are still be affected by them live in that special way that only U2 can affect a large crowd, making the room feel like an intimate space. Despite my sometime cynicism regarding Bono's political moves and some songs that I'm not so crazy about, I still have a very soft spot for the boys and am glad they've endured so gracefully for so long.

Back
Top Bottom