From Britney Spears to U2: My Musical Journey! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > ZOOTV > Introduce Yourself in the Babyface Cafe
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-15-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
Refugee
 
cathou_u2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Inside Bono's Mind
Posts: 1,359
Local Time: 11:44 AM
From Britney Spears to U2: My Musical Journey!

Hi everyone!

Well, I'm a new/old member. I joined years ago, came for a while, but then real life caught up with moi so I left for a couple of years... but now I'm back in the lemon!

Canadian fan since 2003, after I stole my parent's U2 cds and put on "The Best of 1980-1990", it was love upon my first hearing! You see, I grew up with music (reflecting on it, particularly not that great music, but still!) the greatest punishment my parents could give me was to take my radio away . I hate to say it, but I was one of those "girls" I had Britney Spears plastered all over every square inch of my bedroom walls, while I thought Baby One More Time was the height of musical genius! We all start somewhere!

Then came high school and perhaps Britney wouldn't follow me for the ride after all, and it was during my brief period of musical confusion, right when I almost wanted to give up on the bloody thing, that U2 came flooding in. The first notes of Pride played on and I can only but remember staring at my radio in utter awe Musical revelation, I name thee!

And my love has been going strong since then!

So anyway, I'm rambling like Bono here
Greetings to everyone I've met so far and nice to meet you's to everyone else!

Cath
__________________

__________________
cathou_u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
Refugee
 
cathou_u2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Inside Bono's Mind
Posts: 1,359
Local Time: 11:44 AM
I'm currently a psych student, but I did study in uni for a year politics. Bono's here to blame, he's damn too convincing for his own good! But after I realized that maybe politics or law wasn't my cup of tea, psychology seemed like the perfect fit...

So you'll see me around here more often than not, quoting U2 songs or Bono, going off on some philosophical tangent, or just being plain right silly!

U2 is an inspiration!
I can't wait to see them live again next summer in Montreal. Plus, I'm planning a trip to Ireland, it's going to be a very U2 filled summer!
__________________

__________________
cathou_u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Casamares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Poland
Posts: 3,699
Local Time: 01:44 PM
Hi, nice to meet you < JOKE

I used to like worse things than Britney S. For example Crazy Frog...
I remember when I was about 11 my favourite songs were something by Crazy Frog and Jesus He Knows Me - Genesis. What an insult for geniuses from Genesis - I liked their song on an equal footing with CF and some other hopeless songs... Forgive me, guys!
Then I 'converted' to listen to more valuable and ambitious music. The Rasmus and Genesis were my favourite bands.
Since the last couple of years I've been listening to mostly Genesis, Phil Collins, Sting, Michael Jackson, Dire Straits, REM, Nirvana, Foreigner, Queen, Bryan Adams, Rod Stewart, Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys and many, many others.

Recently I became a U2 maniac
This band is unique. Edge's quitar, beatiful and meaningful lyrics written by Bono, true friendship between all the members...

Oh, this is so good that I turned from Crazy Frog to U2
__________________
Casamares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
Refugee
 
cathou_u2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Inside Bono's Mind
Posts: 1,359
Local Time: 11:44 AM

Well, Crazy Frog is pretty terrible, so for the terrible music!

U2 has truly opened my eyes to everything really, to other musicians, Bono's activism, spirituality, well, just to have more of an open mind is something I clearly owe them!

Saw Sir Paul 2 years ago live and Van Morrison last winter! The thing with U2, it's not just their music that makes you feel something, they're connected to so much more, their music spreads out like tentacles across a variety of subjects and if you're curious enough, well you just get sucked in
__________________
cathou_u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,272
Local Time: 05:44 AM
Similar musical journeys, it seems-I listened to Britney all the time when I was younger, too. And the Backstreet Boys, and the Spice Girls (who are still a "guilty pleasure", actually) and all that teenybopper-y stuff. I also went through a super-brief country phase when I was 11, 12 years old (not classic country, either, all the "top 40" equivalent stuff they'd play on CMT).

I also hear you on the whole "love of music" thing. My dad used to work in radio, and he was a walking music encyclopedia, and he and my mom would play music all the time when I was a kid (and as a result, alongside the popular stuff, I've also heard and like music that a lot of people my age probably aren't listening to on a regular basis, LOL). So I've grown up with it in my life and, like you said, would find it a horrible punishment to have it taken away. I really can't imagine my life without music. Don't want to. You know that whole, "Would you rather be blind or deaf?" debate? I'd pick being blind. Course, I'm quite happy being neither .

You became a fan a year after I did, and I almost brought their "1980-1990" best of as my first purchase, too! Instead, though, I went with The Joshua Tree-felt it was best to dive right in with a classic .

I can't believe you were able to see Paul McCartney and Van Morrison ! Would certainly be fun to see those two, no question!

I'm glad you decided to return and hang out a bit more around here. Hope you've been enjoying your time here thus far, and it's been a blast getting to know you !

Angela
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:29 PM   #6
New Yorker
 
Gabi_Clayton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: where the streets have no name
Posts: 3,093
Local Time: 12:44 PM
I had terrible musical taste. When I was 12 or 13 years old I loved croatian band Karma, then I loved pop (not that Pop with capital P ) and I was obsessed with australian band Savage Garden I think I have good taste in music during the last years, I love U2 (it's no secret at all ) and I like another good bands. I'm big fan of The Ramones and I like Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Bruce Springsteen ... and also Muse and One Republic.
By the way, U2 isn't just music to me ... U2 is my inspiration

Cath, I'm planning a trip to Ireland too Next summer in August.
__________________
Gabi_Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:01 PM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 52,117
Local Time: 07:44 AM
Welcome back! I'll be in Montreal next summer too. See ya there.
__________________
lauramullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #8
Refugee
 
cathou_u2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Inside Bono's Mind
Posts: 1,359
Local Time: 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Similar musical journeys, it seems-I listened to Britney all the time when I was younger, too. And the Backstreet Boys, and the Spice Girls (who are still a "guilty pleasure", actually) and all that teenybopper-y stuff. I also went through a super-brief country phase when I was 11, 12 years old (not classic country, either, all the "top 40" equivalent stuff they'd play on CMT).
The Backstreet Boys was actually the first LIVE show I've seen in my life!! I think it was during Black & Blue, they were hanging from the ceiling, that's about all I remember. And the yelling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
I really can't imagine my life without music. Don't want to. You know that whole, "Would you rather be blind or deaf?" debate? I'd pick being blind. Course, I'm quite happy being neither .
BLIND! Don't get me wrong, I'm a total bookworm and I looove art museums, but music is just a tiny wee bit higher on my list! I hear you on the liking music that wasn't very "suitable" for our age back then. It's one thing for my parents to sing along With Or Without You but when I took their cds and became the fan that I am today, I got some surprised glances and comments thrown here and there about it! I'll always remember my mom buying me a Sheryl Crow Best Of in an attempt to "widen my gaze" besides U2 It ultimately failed. Not that I haven't developed an admiration for Johnny Cash, that's the only country music that I deeply love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
I can't believe you were able to see Paul McCartney and Van Morrison ! Would certainly be fun to see those two, no question!
About that, a city not that far from where I live celebrated its 400 years anniversary 2 years ago I believe and Paul gave a concert there for free, so what do you know, I went there with a friend of mine, left in the early morning and saw the show Still can't believe I saw one of the Beatles, alive and all, no matter how far! Quite magical!
As for Van, bought tickets and went with my dad, no matter if he didn't really know who he was before The irony isn't lost on me that I made him discover someone from his own generation and years from my own!

I do enjoy it here, good laughs and interesting conversations!
__________________
cathou_u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #9
Refugee
 
cathou_u2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Inside Bono's Mind
Posts: 1,359
Local Time: 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabi_Clayton View Post
Cath, I'm planning a trip to Ireland too Next summer in August.
What a lovely trip idea you've got there!
I haven't decided yet when I'll go, probably in June, I'll have to decide! By xmas I want to have bought the plane tickets and booked the rooms. And of course, I'll go have tea at The Clarence, no matter how much it'll cost!
__________________
cathou_u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #10
Refugee
 
cathou_u2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Inside Bono's Mind
Posts: 1,359
Local Time: 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramullen View Post
Welcome back! I'll be in Montreal next summer too. See ya there.
Sure will!
__________________
cathou_u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life
 
ryancoke71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 14,678
Local Time: 07:44 AM
Hi from a fellow Canadian! I'll see you in Montreal as well!
__________________
ryancoke71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:55 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict
 
Moonlit_Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Posts: 19,272
Local Time: 05:44 AM
I was at the mall earlier today and saw a calendar for 2011 featuring shots of various spots in Ireland. GUH. That settles it. Someday, I AM going there, damnit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathou_u2 View Post
The Backstreet Boys was actually the first LIVE show I've seen in my life!! I think it was during Black & Blue, they were hanging from the ceiling, that's about all I remember. And the yelling!
Haha, I can imagine! Hanging from the ceiling, eh? Hey, at least they gave you something of a spectacle . We've all got to start somewhere, right?

First show I ever saw was Head East, John Waite, and one of the guys who used to sing lead for Bad Company-thanks to free tickets my dad got from work. Put on a fairly good show, all of them. But not my first choice for artists to see-thankfully that would come later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathou_u2 View Post
BLIND! Don't get me wrong, I'm a total bookworm and I looove art museums, but music is just a tiny wee bit higher on my list!
Not to mention, you can get that Braille stuff to help you read as well. It's certainly not the same as actually being able to read the words, but there is an option there, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathou_u2 View Post
I hear you on the liking music that wasn't very "suitable" for our age back then. It's one thing for my parents to sing along With Or Without You but when I took their cds and became the fan that I am today, I got some surprised glances and comments thrown here and there about it! I'll always remember my mom buying me a Sheryl Crow Best Of in an attempt to "widen my gaze" besides U2 It ultimately failed. Not that I haven't developed an admiration for Johnny Cash, that's the only country music that I deeply love
How can anyone not at least respect Johnny Cash? He was just too cool.

I like me some Sheryl Crow-I really miss the '90s, there was so much awesome music from my childhood/teen years during that decade, outside of the teenybopper genre.

I know the looks, too-that and, "Who's that?" Then I have to pick some hit of theirs, if they had one, that they'd know, and then, "Oh, yeah, them." And that's about the end of the conversation, LOL. I can't help it, though. Good music's good music, regardless of when it came out. And hey, if I can turn somebody on to something they might not have otherwise considered hearing, all the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathou_u2 View Post
:About that, a city not that far from where I live celebrated its 400 years anniversary 2 years ago I believe and Paul gave a concert there for free, so what do you know, I went there with a friend of mine, left in the early morning and saw the show Still can't believe I saw one of the Beatles, alive and all, no matter how far! Quite magical!
Dear god. Free show from Paul himself. That is awesome on all sorts of levels! I'd be pretty thrilled as well-glad you got to go and had a fantastic time to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathou_u2 View Post
:As for Van, bought tickets and went with my dad, no matter if he didn't really know who he was before The irony isn't lost on me that I made him discover someone from his own generation and years from my own!
Haha, that IS awesome ! And strange-my dad knew full well who Van was, LOL. But hey, just 'cause you grew up in the era didn't mean you listened to everything from that era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathou_u2 View Post
:I do enjoy it here, good laughs and interesting conversations!
Indeed. Glad you like it here. I've been here 8 years and have no complaints-it can become like a second home, odd as that might sound.

Angela
__________________
Moonlit_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #13
Refugee
 
Jorinde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: on the sunnyside of the street
Posts: 1,749
Local Time: 12:44 PM
Hey! Nice to meet you. Very cool story, and indeed, we all have to make a start. And sometimes those are emberrassing but very funny. Well yeah, you don't wanna know where I listened to before I learnt to listen to good music.

EDIT: I just read you're a psych student at the moment. That's so awesome! I want to study that too when I'm going to university.

See ya!
__________________
Jorinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:52 PM   #14
Refugee
 
cathou_u2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Inside Bono's Mind
Posts: 1,359
Local Time: 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorinde View Post
Hey! Nice to meet you. Very cool story, and indeed, we all have to make a start. And sometimes those are emberrassing but very funny. Well yeah, you don't wanna know where I listened to before I learnt to listen to good music.

EDIT: I just read you're a psych student at the moment. That's so awesome! I want to study that too when I'm going to university.

See ya!
Do tell, miss!!
It's a wonderful field of study, really. The possibilities are endless!
__________________
cathou_u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:08 AM   #15
The Fly
 
nothing_left's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Krapkowice
Posts: 84
Local Time: 12:44 PM
Yeah, my musical journey also wasn't so straight. At the age of 6/7 I was a fan of Aqua (Barbie girl ;d) but my love to Barbie girl passed away just like passed away my love to pink colour ;d. Then I started to listen to some really shitty things like Ich troje or I don't know ;d. Everything changed when I started to grow up. I mean mentally. Mentally I was like older then a regular teenager. First, my dad left me when I was like 8 years old? Then my uncle has died in a car crash and those events ended my childhood. I don't know how did I got by with that. I was very strong, I think. I don't remember if I was listening to anything that time. I don't think so. I've been spending days on sitting at home alone, waiting for mom and blaming myself for dad. I've been thinking why he did this to me. And then I became to love rock and hate pop at all. Queen, Red hot chili peppers, Rammstein... Rammstein is one of the bands I still love, though I don't listen to them very often. And so much more bands I can't remember at the moment.
As years went by, my taste have been changing. At the moment I like MUSIC. It doesn't mean a thing which gender is it. I think music has to have some spark inside which makes it special. But I can't stand Queen without Freddie Mercury. Queen without him isn't Queen.
Then I met U2. My life changed. It would maybe sound pathetic, but they really make me want to live my life. I think I wouldn't be here right now, thinking and breathing if four guys in Dublin of '76 decided to make a band called first Feedback, The hype and finally U2. It wasn't a joke.
__________________

__________________
nothing_left is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com