From Britney Spears to U2: My Musical Journey!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cathou_u2

Refugee
Hi everyone! :wave:

Well, I'm a new/old member. I joined years ago, came for a while, but then real life caught up with moi so I left for a couple of years... but now I'm back in the lemon!:lol:

Canadian fan since 2003, after I stole my parent's U2 cds and put on "The Best of 1980-1990", it was love upon my first hearing! :love: You see, I grew up with music (reflecting on it, particularly not that great music, but still!) the greatest punishment my parents could give me was to take my radio away :lol:. I hate to say it, but I was one of those "girls" I had Britney Spears plastered all over every square inch of my bedroom walls, while I thought Baby One More Time was the height of musical genius!:tsk: We all start somewhere!:wink:

Then came high school and perhaps Britney wouldn't follow me for the ride after all, and it was during my brief period of musical confusion, right when I almost wanted to give up on the bloody thing, that U2 came flooding in. The first notes of Pride played on and I can only but remember staring at my radio in utter awe :ohmy: Musical revelation, I name thee!

And my love has been going strong since then! :heart:

So anyway, I'm rambling like Bono here:lol:
Greetings to everyone I've met so far and nice to meet you's to everyone else!:D

Cath

I'm currently a psych student, but I did study in uni for a year politics. Bono's here to blame, he's damn too convincing for his own good! :cute: But after I realized that maybe politics or law wasn't my cup of tea, psychology seemed like the perfect fit...

So you'll see me around here more often than not, quoting U2 songs or Bono, going off on some philosophical tangent, or just being plain right silly! :D

U2 is an inspiration!
I can't wait to see them live again next summer in Montreal. Plus, I'm planning a trip to Ireland, it's going to be a very U2 filled summer!:love:

Hi, nice to meet you :wave: < :giggle: JOKE :D

I used to like worse things than Britney S. :lol: For example Crazy Frog... :doh::reject:
I remember when I was about 11 my favourite songs were something by Crazy Frog :reject: and Jesus He Knows Me - Genesis. What an insult for geniuses from Genesis - I liked their song on an equal footing with CF and some other hopeless songs... Forgive me, guys! :pray:
Then I 'converted' to listen to more valuable and ambitious music. The Rasmus and Genesis were my favourite bands.
Since the last couple of years I've been listening to mostly Genesis, Phil Collins, Sting, Michael Jackson, Dire Straits, REM, Nirvana, Foreigner, Queen, Bryan Adams, Rod Stewart, Depeche Mode, Pet Shop Boys and many, many others.

Recently I became a U2 maniac :D
This band is unique. Edge's quitar, beatiful and meaningful lyrics written by Bono, true friendship between all the members... :cute:

Oh, this is so good that I turned from Crazy Frog to U2 :hyper:

:lol::lol::lol:
Well, Crazy Frog is pretty terrible, so :hi5: for the terrible music!

U2 has truly opened my eyes to everything really, to other musicians, Bono's activism, spirituality, well, just to have more of an open mind is something I clearly owe them! :heart:

Saw Sir Paul 2 years ago live and Van Morrison last winter! :cute: The thing with U2, it's not just their music that makes you feel something, they're connected to so much more, their music spreads out like tentacles across a variety of subjects and if you're curious enough, well you just get sucked in:D

:wave: Similar musical journeys, it seems-I listened to Britney all the time when I was younger, too. And the Backstreet Boys, and the Spice Girls (who are still a "guilty pleasure", actually) and all that teenybopper-y stuff. I also went through a super-brief country phase when I was 11, 12 years old (not classic country, either, all the "top 40" equivalent stuff they'd play on CMT).

I also hear you on the whole "love of music" thing. My dad used to work in radio, and he was a walking music encyclopedia, and he and my mom would play music all the time when I was a kid (and as a result, alongside the popular stuff, I've also heard and like music that a lot of people my age probably aren't listening to on a regular basis, LOL). So I've grown up with it in my life and, like you said, would find it a horrible punishment to have it taken away. I really can't imagine my life without music. Don't want to. You know that whole, "Would you rather be blind or deaf?" debate? I'd pick being blind. Course, I'm quite happy being neither :p.

You became a fan a year after I did, and I almost brought their "1980-1990" best of as my first purchase, too! Instead, though, I went with The Joshua Tree-felt it was best to dive right in with a classic :p.

I can't believe you were able to see Paul McCartney and Van Morrison :shocked:! Would certainly be fun to see those two, no question!

I'm glad you decided to return and hang out a bit more around here. Hope you've been enjoying your time here thus far, and it's been a blast getting to know you :hug: :)!

Angela

:wave: I had terrible musical taste. When I was 12 or 13 years old I loved croatian band Karma, then I loved pop (not that Pop with capital P :D) and I was obsessed with australian band Savage Garden :lol: I think I have good taste in music during the last years, I love U2 (it's no secret at all :D :heart:) and I like another good bands. I'm big fan of The Ramones and I like Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Bruce Springsteen ... and also Muse and One Republic.
By the way, U2 isn't just music to me ... U2 is my inspiration :heart:

Cath, I'm planning a trip to Ireland too :D :) Next summer in August.

:wave: Similar musical journeys, it seems-I listened to Britney all the time when I was younger, too. And the Backstreet Boys, and the Spice Girls (who are still a "guilty pleasure", actually) and all that teenybopper-y stuff. I also went through a super-brief country phase when I was 11, 12 years old (not classic country, either, all the "top 40" equivalent stuff they'd play on CMT).
:ohmy: The Backstreet Boys was actually the first LIVE show I've seen in my life!! I think it was during Black & Blue, they were hanging from the ceiling, that's about all I remember. And the yelling! :lol:

I really can't imagine my life without music. Don't want to. You know that whole, "Would you rather be blind or deaf?" debate? I'd pick being blind. Course, I'm quite happy being neither :p.

BLIND! Don't get me wrong, I'm a total bookworm and I looove art museums, but music is just a tiny wee bit higher on my list! I hear you on the liking music that wasn't very "suitable" for our age back then. It's one thing for my parents to sing along With Or Without You but when I took their cds and became the fan that I am today, I got some surprised glances and comments thrown here and there about it! I'll always remember my mom buying me a Sheryl Crow Best Of in an attempt to "widen my gaze" besides U2:lol: It ultimately failed. Not that I haven't developed an admiration for Johnny Cash, that's the only country music that I deeply love:heart:

I can't believe you were able to see Paul McCartney and Van Morrison :shocked:! Would certainly be fun to see those two, no question!
About that, a city not that far from where I live celebrated its 400 years anniversary 2 years ago I believe and Paul gave a concert there for free, so what do you know, I went there with a friend of mine, left in the early morning and saw the show :faint: Still can't believe I saw one of the Beatles, alive and all, no matter how far! Quite magical!:heart::cute:
As for Van, bought tickets and went with my dad, no matter if he didn't really know who he was before:ohmy: The irony isn't lost on me that I made him discover someone from his own generation and years from my own!:D

I do enjoy it here, good laughs and interesting conversations!

Cath, I'm planning a trip to Ireland too :D :) Next summer in August.

What a lovely trip idea you've got there!:love:
I haven't decided yet when I'll go, probably in June, I'll have to decide! By xmas I want to have bought the plane tickets and booked the rooms. And of course, I'll go have tea at The Clarence, no matter how much it'll cost!:cute:

I was at the mall earlier today and saw a calendar for 2011 featuring shots of various spots in Ireland. GUH. That settles it. Someday, I AM going there, damnit!

:ohmy: The Backstreet Boys was actually the first LIVE show I've seen in my life!! I think it was during Black & Blue, they were hanging from the ceiling, that's about all I remember. And the yelling! :lol:

Haha, I can imagine! Hanging from the ceiling, eh? Hey, at least they gave you something of a spectacle :p. We've all got to start somewhere, right?

First show I ever saw was Head East, John Waite, and one of the guys who used to sing lead for Bad Company-thanks to free tickets my dad got from work. Put on a fairly good show, all of them. But not my first choice for artists to see-thankfully that would come later.

BLIND! Don't get me wrong, I'm a total bookworm and I looove art museums, but music is just a tiny wee bit higher on my list!

Not to mention, you can get that Braille stuff to help you read as well. It's certainly not the same as actually being able to read the words, but there is an option there, at least.

I hear you on the liking music that wasn't very "suitable" for our age back then. It's one thing for my parents to sing along With Or Without You but when I took their cds and became the fan that I am today, I got some surprised glances and comments thrown here and there about it! I'll always remember my mom buying me a Sheryl Crow Best Of in an attempt to "widen my gaze" besides U2:lol: It ultimately failed. Not that I haven't developed an admiration for Johnny Cash, that's the only country music that I deeply love:heart:

How can anyone not at least respect Johnny Cash? He was just too cool.

I like me some Sheryl Crow-I really miss the '90s, there was so much awesome music from my childhood/teen years during that decade, outside of the teenybopper genre.

I know the looks, too-that and, "Who's that?" Then I have to pick some hit of theirs, if they had one, that they'd know, and then, "Oh, yeah, them." And that's about the end of the conversation, LOL. I can't help it, though. Good music's good music, regardless of when it came out. And hey, if I can turn somebody on to something they might not have otherwise considered hearing, all the better.

:About that, a city not that far from where I live celebrated its 400 years anniversary 2 years ago I believe and Paul gave a concert there for free, so what do you know, I went there with a friend of mine, left in the early morning and saw the show :faint: Still can't believe I saw one of the Beatles, alive and all, no matter how far! Quite magical!:heart::cute:

Dear god. Free show from Paul himself. That is awesome on all sorts of levels! I'd be pretty thrilled as well-glad you got to go and had a fantastic time to boot.

:As for Van, bought tickets and went with my dad, no matter if he didn't really know who he was before:ohmy: The irony isn't lost on me that I made him discover someone from his own generation and years from my own!:D

Haha, that IS awesome :D! And strange-my dad knew full well who Van was, LOL. But hey, just 'cause you grew up in the era didn't mean you listened to everything from that era.

:I do enjoy it here, good laughs and interesting conversations!

Indeed. Glad you like it here. I've been here 8 years and have no complaints-it can become like a second home, odd as that might sound.

Angela

Hey! Nice to meet you.:) Very cool story, and indeed, we all have to make a start. And sometimes those are emberrassing but very funny.:lol: Well yeah, you don't wanna know where I listened to before I learnt to listen to good music.:lol:

EDIT: I just read you're a psych student at the moment. That's so awesome! I want to study that too when I'm going to university.

See ya!

Hey! Nice to meet you.:) Very cool story, and indeed, we all have to make a start. And sometimes those are emberrassing but very funny.:lol: Well yeah, you don't wanna know where I listened to before I learnt to listen to good music.:lol:

EDIT: I just read you're a psych student at the moment. That's so awesome! I want to study that too when I'm going to university.

See ya!

:cute: Do tell, miss!!:D
It's a wonderful field of study, really. The possibilities are endless!

Yeah, my musical journey also wasn't so straight. At the age of 6/7 I was a fan of Aqua (Barbie girl ;d) but my love to Barbie girl passed away just like passed away my love to pink colour ;d. Then I started to listen to some really shitty things like Ich troje or I don't know ;d. Everything changed when I started to grow up. I mean mentally. Mentally I was like older then a regular teenager. First, my dad left me when I was like 8 years old? Then my uncle has died in a car crash and those events ended my childhood. I don't know how did I got by with that. I was very strong, I think. I don't remember if I was listening to anything that time. I don't think so. I've been spending days on sitting at home alone, waiting for mom and blaming myself for dad. I've been thinking why he did this to me. And then I became to love rock and hate pop at all. Queen, Red hot chili peppers, Rammstein... Rammstein is one of the bands I still love, though I don't listen to them very often. And so much more bands I can't remember at the moment.
As years went by, my taste have been changing. At the moment I like MUSIC. It doesn't mean a thing which gender is it. I think music has to have some spark inside which makes it special. But I can't stand Queen without Freddie Mercury. Queen without him isn't Queen.
Then I met U2. My life changed. It would maybe sound pathetic, but they really make me want to live my life. I think I wouldn't be here right now, thinking and breathing if four guys in Dublin of '76 decided to make a band called first Feedback, The hype and finally U2. It wasn't a joke.

Last edited:
People who don't like music don't get how much it means, and how much it can do to someone. It's almost magical, the power of a good song.. You just have to learn to find good music, before that you just start with listening to B Spears, until you discover it's no real, touching music. It takes a while to find it, but when you've found it, you know it's worth the waiting. :)

Yeah, my musical journey also wasn't so straight. At the age of 6/7 I was a fan of Aqua (Barbie girl ;d) but my love to Barbie girl passed away just like passed away my love to pink colour ;d. Then I started to listen to some really shitty things like Ich troje or I don't know ;d. Everything changed when I started to grow up. I mean mentally. Mentally I was like older then a regular teenager. First, my dad left me when I was like 8 years old? Then my uncle has died in a car crash and those events ended my childhood. I don't know how did I got by with that. I was very strong, I think. I don't remember if I was listening to anything that time. I don't think so. I've been spending days on sitting at home alone, waiting for mom and blaming myself for dad. I've been thinking why he did this to me. And then I became to love rock and hate pop at all. Queen, Red hot chili peppers, Rammstein... Rammstein is one of the bands I still love, though I don't listen to them very often. And so much more bands I can't remember at the moment.
As years went by, my taste have been changing. At the moment I like MUSIC. It doesn't mean a thing which gender is it. I think music has to have some spark inside which makes it special. But I can't stand Queen without Freddie Mercury. Queen without him isn't Queen.
Then I met U2. My life changed. It would maybe sound pathetic, but they really make me want to live my life. I think I wouldn't be here right now, thinking and breathing if four guys in Dublin of '76 decided to make a band called first Feedback, The hype and finally U2. It wasn't a joke.

I'm really sorry because of your experiences :sad::hug:

And you remembered me that I used to listen to Ich Troje too... :reject::doh: Well, they were very pupular in Poland a few years ago :huh:

Thank you, that's nice. I think I'm pretty much ok now, dad came back to us like a year later after the day he packed his bag and went out. But I still have days when I remember those moments. Maybe that's the reason why I started to love and almost believe in U2. I needed more strenght and you know what? They really gave it to me. I feel much stronger now.
Yeah, that's true. And it's not a shame. They just were too popular then and I can't remember if there was a single person who wouldn't listen to them ;d.

Last edited:
But I still have days when I remember those moments. Maybe that's the reason why I started to love and almost believe in U2. I needed more strenght and you know what? They really gave it to me. I feel much stronger now.

Thanks for sharing your story with us:hug:
You're not the only one for whom U2 entered their life at a critical moment. By giving strength when you couldn't find your own:heart: We find inspiration anywhere, in a family member, a friend, a teacher, a book, a band. But no matter where that inspiration comes from, if it speaks to you and "Get (you) On Your Boots" so to speak, then that's a very good thing.

Sometimes we just need that tinny little push in the right direction to motivate us to become better than we were yesterday. U2 hasn't changed me, but through U2 I've learned to change myself:heart:

Thanks for sharing your story with us:hug:
You're not the only one for whom U2 entered their life at a critical moment. By giving strength when you couldn't find your own:heart: We find inspiration anywhere, in a family member, a friend, a teacher, a book, a band. But no matter where that inspiration comes from, if it speaks to you and "Get (you) On Your Boots" so to speak, then that's a very good thing.

Sometimes we just need that tinny little push in the right direction to motivate us to become better than we were yesterday. U2 hasn't changed me, but through U2 I've learned to change myself:heart:

No problem. At first I tought it's too much for all of you to know about me, because I normally don't like to share it to the world too often. It's still too painful. But I didn't erase it.
I think U2 saved the rest of my sensibility. It's a huge word, but I don't have too much and I don't think I need anything more besides U2. I even can't imagine their gig in Poland. I'd die happy.

I think U2 saved the rest of my sensibility. It's a huge word, but I don't have too much and I don't think I need anything more besides U2. I even can't imagine their gig in Poland. I'd die happy.

You know sometimes, it's okay to admit defeat, to say "Ok, I'm not feeling good right now, I might need some help", it doesn't mean that you're a failure when you admit that. It rather means that you're honest enough with yourself not to remain in denial.:heart: U2 offers very good moral support!

You're never alone, there's always help. At the very least, there's the Zoo Confessionals section if you want to go and have a look, fellow U2 fans there post there troubles and offer each other support, you might like it!:hug::heart:

Thank you so much for your support, Cathou_u2! You're the best! :hug:
You too, Casamares :). :hug:
It's always nice to feel not alone with your problems. :)

nothing_left, I'm so sorry about those things that happened to you. It's great you "met" U2 and they helped you. Their music has power to help people :hug: They also helped me ... to find myself. With their music I'm more complete and more myself.

True, Gabi. I like your name, did I mention it? ;d. Thanks! :hug:
Anyway, there's something special in this band. Maybe it's because friendship between them? I mean it's one of the reasons why I feel much better when I listen to them - they're giving me plenty of hope and I realize that they won't leave me no matter what :cute:.

Anyway, there's something special in this band. Maybe it's because friendship between them? I mean it's one of the reasons why I feel much better when I listen to them - they're giving me plenty of hope and I realize that they won't leave me no matter what :cute:.

Really? Thank you :hug:
Yeah, maybe it's because of friendship between our guys. Or maybe it's because of thoughts in their lyrics. Bono has special power to write good lyrics, we all know it. U2's lyrics makes this world more meaningful and better for me :)

Really? Thank you :hug:
Yeah, maybe it's because of friendship between our guys. Or maybe it's because of thoughts in their lyrics. Bono has special power to write good lyrics, we all know it. U2's lyrics makes this world more meaningful and better for me :)

They try to find something deeper in every situation, not just describe a superficial level.

They try to find something deeper in every situation, not just describe a superficial level.

Indeed, because superficial is all nice and fun for a while, but eventually it dies and you're left with nothing. But with U2, my mind has become a real jukebox :lol: so I hang on to those songs and what they mean to me!:heart:

Call me Cath:D

Of course, the friendship between the band members is very appealing :hug: To maintain that kind of commitment as time goes by and problems come knocking on your door, it's indeed something to be admired!:cute:

But the thing that's most important about U2, well maybe it's only me. I wouldn't necessarily say that U2 changed my life, yes they did, but through U2 and their guidance, they gave me the right tools for me to change my life :D U2 brings the best out of all of us and we have to put it to good use!

I'd say, fill up your :heart: and mind with their songs, attitude towards life, and let that energy transform you :heart:

It's always nice to feel not alone with your problems. :)

You're most definitely not alone :hug: :). I know full well it feels that way sometimes, I've had that feeling numerous times this year. But you just have to remind yourself that everyone goes through some sort of pain and difficulty, and if others can make it through the tough times, so can you. Especially if you can manage to find something or someone to lean on to help you along. I too am sorry to hear about what you went through, but I'm glad to hear you seem to be okay now :).

U2...god, they've been immensely helpful and comforting to me this past year like you would not believe. I used one of their songs for a very emotional situation earlier this year, and it was so nice to hear them at that time. It really helped that day, I needed that moment to just let it all out and let go. All of my favorite artists have those moments for me. Ultimately that's the biggest reason I'm drawn to certain music, certain bands-I can relate to the topics they sing about, I hear somebody who is saying everything I ever wanted to say but either don't know how to properly articulate or was too scared to say. Any other benefits their music brings me are just icing on an already very lovely cake.

On a much lighter note-holy crap, "Barbie Girl", THERE'S a blast from the past! I used to like that song, too :D. And Rammstein-I only know their song "Du Hast", but I do like it... I like all of the bands you listed there, you've got some great taste :up:.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom