Former lurker finally registers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fmattyh

Acrobat
Hey everyone, I've been lurking here at Interference for the last couple of months now and finally decided to register. It's been a great time to be at Interference, with so much going on in the U2 world the last couple of months, culminating with the leak of HTDAAB this weekend.

I love HTDAAB. I'm a relatively new fan, having first discovered them a few years ago in high school. I've been devouring their catalog over the last couple of years, and this is their first new album since I've become a fan. Exciting times indeed. I hate to say historic, but it really seems like it is, even though a rock band is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things. But since they're the greatest band in music history (outside of the Beatles), any album release is a historic event. :)

Just wanted to give a brief summary of how I became a fan: when listening to the radio in the car, my friends told me turn it up because With or Without You was on. I didn't know anything about U2, but I listened and thought it sounded all right. Then a month later, a friend played the Rattle and Hum version of ISHFWILF at Bible study and I thought that sounded like an amazing song (and surprising spiritual, from what I considered a very secular band). Then about another month later, I heard the Joshua Tree version of ISHFWILF at a restaurant and recognized it as being the same song. So I checked out the Joshua Tree from the library and absolutely loved it, so I went out and bought it the next week.

But that was about the extent of my U2 fandom; I didn't really realize they were still around and putting out quality music. It wasn't until I started my freshman year at college that I saw the Elevation video of WTSHNN at orientation and was blown away. I borrowed the Elevation DVD from a friend and was just amazed at how good it was. From there, I pretty much dove headfirst into U2, going through their catalog and listening to everything.

So I'm looking forward to getting to meet you all and play catch up over the last 20 years of U2 I missed. My biggest regret is missing out on all those amazing concerts - I can't tell you how many times I've watched my Slane DVD. This Spring/Summer is going to be great - I plan on being the first in line to get tickets and finally see them live. I've never been one to go to concerts, but from what I can tell, U2 concerts are light-years beyond anything else. It's not just a band playing songs for an audience - there seems to be a connection much deeper than that. I'm looking forward to getting to experience that firsthand this coming year.

Anyway, sorry for rambling so much, I just wanted to finally throw my hat into the ring and join up. Thanks to everyone for seemingly being such a good group of people. ...seemingly :)

I see your location says "Seattle & Michigan". I live in Michigan and used to have dreams of moving to Seattle...even though I've never even visited. :lol: I definitely want to visit someday though!!! :D

Welcome! :wave:

Thanks tiny !

Yeah, bonochick , I've lived in Seattle my whole life but go to school here in Michigan. I like both, but I miss the mountains and everything back home. If you ever do visit, make sure you go during the summer. Any other time of year = rain, but the summers are really nice. You definitely don't want to move there unless you can handle six months of constant drizzly rain. :)

Welcome! It's always fun reading how someone got into U2.

I recommend getting the Red Rocks video, Under A Blood Red Sky. It'll give you a great look into an earlier, incredible performance, which is what I feel put them on the map, even before Live Aid.

bonochick,

I go to school at Calvin College in Grand Rapids, MI.

Mark,

I'm holding out for a DVD release - I don't even own a VCR. So I don't have Popmart or ZooTV or anything. I have seen the famous Sunday Bloody Sunday performance from Red Rocks, though, but that's about it.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone.

nice to meet ya

Hi FmattyM, welcome I loved reading your induction into U2 very inspiring,I am a newbie too and I may post my story as well :D

fmattyh said:
bonochick,

I go to school at Calvin College in Grand Rapids, MI.

Cool! I've only been to Grand Rapids once...just to go out to this nightclub...so it was a brief visit! But very fun. :D

3 from Calvin? Hmm... Lies sounds familiar... I don't think I know her, but I know the name somehow. Ellen - don't think I know any Ellens here at Calvin. I definitely know several Lauras though, do you know a last name or anything?

Where are you other Michganders from? I'm sorta learning the Michigan geography after 2 1/2 years. :)

Thanks for the welcome all.

....here! :wave: Matt-from-Calvin, mayhaps you recognize my name b/c you've called the HelpDesk?

work.JPG

"Good afternoon, Calvin HelpDesk. This is Lies speaking, may I have your name please?" eh? :D

Grand Rapids native, btw. BC, which club did you visit in GR?

Ah, MSU, bls, - I'll try not to bring up the UM game. :shifty:

Well, Lies, can't say I've ever had to call the helpdesk for any reason...but hey, if I ever do, at least I know we've got someone good on the job. ;)

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
BC, which club did you visit in GR?

I don't remember the name...but it was a gay nightclub. I used to have a really good gay friend who complained that we never got to go anywhere for him, and I said, "There aren't any places around here...you find a place somewhere, and we'll go." So he found a place...and we went!!

Quite a night!!!!!! :laugh: :heart:

Matt, if you're still around, do you know of any places in GR that are doing midnight releases of HTDAAB? Also, a friend of mine is throwing a pre-release party in the Fish House from 10am-midnight on the 23rd.

Lies, haven't heard a thing as far as GR pre-release info. Not that I'm the greatest person to ask - not a whole lot of my friends like U2 much so I never really know what's going on in the local U2 world.

Fish House on the 23rd? Wouldn't that make it a post-release party? Or do you mean until midnight the 23rd (which would be Monday night)? I'm confused (but that's nothing new). Sounds pretty sweet though. Let me know what ya find out, alright? Thanks.

fmh2@calvin.edu or my homepage below

LOL, I don't even know, I just got the e-mail from a friend and passed it on, never thought about the date! I'll see her Wed. morning so I'll post back in here once I know if it's a pre-release or post-release/listening party.

Hey, I sorta know Greg Lavery! I think he was on my bf's floor when my bf was an RA. Does he live in your appartment? He likes U2 doesn't he?

Yeah, Greg is one of my roommates. He likes U2, though he's not hardcore by any means, since he likes ALL music. And I do mean ALL. I'm not sure if there's music he doesn't like. Except maybe music made for the specific purpose of selling music (aka commercial pop and crap). But U2 is definitely one of his favorites.

And he says he knows you too. :)

fmattyh said:
Yeah, Greg is one of my roommates. He likes U2, though he's not hardcore by any means, since he likes ALL music. And I do mean ALL. I'm not sure if there's music he doesn't like. Except maybe music made for the specific purpose of selling music (aka commercial pop and crap). But U2 is definitely one of his favorites.

And he says he knows you too. :)

Yeah, I know what you mean about him liking ALL music. I think I accessed his computer a few times on the network and he pretty much had all music on there! Anyway, it looks like Em posted details about the U2 listening party in Student News....

OK, I guess Tuesday night works. I'd still love to find a place open at midnight the night before to buy it, though. A post-release party is especially anticlimactic after you've listened to the album 20+ times. :) But hey, maybe someone will have the DVD? I hope at least something will be new.

Back
Top Bottom