An Open Letter to Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ree5669

Acrobat
I don't know what is wrong with me. I have never done anything like this.
Maybe it is a pre-middle aged crazy woman's blast from her past.

Let me give you some background.

I am a 35 year old mother of 2 great kids, nine year old Elizabeth and 5 year old Alex.
I have a bachelor's and a master's degree in elementary education.
I have taught elementary school for 13 years- second grade for the last six years.
I drive a green Town & Country van--
license plate: FAMVAN (issued on a "Helping Schools" tag, ofcourse).
My husband is an employee of the Dept. of Defense.
He used to be cool.
Now he drives a Volvo station wagon.

We were at the 93 Elevation tour in Atlanta. We were twenty-something.
We danced, drank, and were carefree. We were in the 20th row...you rocked.

Lately, I have been drawn back to U2.
I feel obsessed.
I mean how many women---mothers--drive the FAMVAN to their work at the local elem. school
while jamming out to "OUT OF CONTROL"?
I mean how many appreciate Bono's sincerity at the end...almost crying out in angst over his position in the world? How many second grade teachers appreciate that?????
I AM TRULY INSANE.
I own the DVD, but have watched "Rattle & Hum" on INHD not once, but twice in the last week.
I watch old concert footage and want to be that cute little girl that Bono sings "Run to You" to. He is so damn sexy. I am actually old enough to drink the champange.

While many others (I am sure) see footage of Bono in the teacups at Disneyland with kids & Ali and possibly think, "How lame." I think what an awesome thing...he loves his family...he is a dad just like my Dan (husband). Who again --used to be super cool...In fact when I first spotted him on a local area we used to cruise, I called him "BonoMan" because his hair (1989) was long, his height, his demeanor, his peaceful-live & let live attitude, reminded me of him. I even mention it in my pre-wedding video. My cool husband is a dad, just like Bono.

I rant.

I am old enough to know how this works. I will send these private thoughts and obsessions off into nowhere. Even though, there is a distant sparkle of hope somewhere ---buried within me deep. Distant sparkles buried within a 16 or 17 old girl's - pre Joshua Tree-heart. That girl who wanted to join the Peace Corps. That girl who could & WOULD change the world. The girl who wanted to be Mrs. Hewson. Where is she????

She lives in surburbia. She goes about her day overwhelmed with responsibilities. But somewhere
in a green FAMVAN, you can hear her wailing aloud to Out of Control, crying to Bad & Walk On (remimded her of husband's rehab time---3.5 years sobriety!), feeling sexy to With or Without You, and feeling free to Where the Streets Have No Name. F R E E ...feeling those bright white lights, the heat on her face at that fantastic concert. That girl is still there, thanks to nearly 20 great years of my favorite band. Thanks guys. Take me into my 40s.

...and Bono, I love you still. Thanks for reminding me of that.
See you at the closest Down South concert in the US....I will
be the one sobbing openly to Bad. I will be the screaming mid
age fan, leaving her uptight life for one brief couple of hours
remembering the girl she was and feeling free in U2's presence.

You posted this exact same post in Zoo Confessionals, therefore, I am closing this thread and leaving that one open.

If you'd like to start a different intro thread in this forum though, please feel free to do so! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom