About time EdgeFest said hello formally....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EdgeFest

Refugee
Hello all, I'm from Regina, SK, Canada.

I went to my first U2 shows this year (FINALLY!), both Chicago/both Toronto and Vancouver. I also have 3-4 lined up for next year as well.

And now, for my Edge story ;)

Before I even saw him, fell in love with that guitar. I Will Follow was the first song I heard back in good ol' 1984 (I was 10). Used to visit a family friends house and play with their younger kids when my mom was visiting and the father had War/Boy/UABRS and TUF. He used to let us play his CDs in the rec room (thanks Kev!) while the parents visited upstairs. A couple of years later when I was 12 I started babysitting, and guess what I did every night after the kids went to bed but listen to U2.

This was all before "MTV". Since I'm in Canada, we went a few years before we had a music channel. MTV debuted in I believe 1981-82 in the US but we didn't have our music video station (MuchMusic) until 1984. It was on the big pay satellite service when it came out so a lot of us didn't have it right when it came out, and we certainly didn't get American TV like we do now so we had to wait. I probably saw my first U2 videos in 1985 or 1986 - I vaguely remember New Year's Day and Sunday Bloody Sunday, but the first real memory I have of the videos was Joshua Tree... in particular With Or Without You.

ALLLLLL my girlfriends were absolutely head over heels for Bono. We would all rush home from school to see the WOWY video on the countdown every day. I distinctly remember building a 'tent fort' in one of my friends basements where we built the TV right in so we could go in there to "watch Bono". LOLLLL.

After worshipping Edge's guitar sounds for years and having that bond with him that he was the first real musician I *listened* to... I wasn't about to be undone that Bono was so pretty and Edge wore suspenders and a goofy hat. That's right. I took it. I got TEASED like you wouldn't believe. But I never wavered, and Edge was always my boy.

Now I am just laughing my butt off and wish I had kept touch with some of these girls so they can look at my boy again and tell me how they think he's turned out. Not bad. Not bad at all
smiley.gif
smiley.gif
smiley.gif

Unfortunately it took me another 22 years to actually see him in person and now I'm definitely making up for lost time.

That's EF's Edge story. Hope you enjoyed
smiley.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom