A sort of homecoming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpiralStaircase

War Child
Sort of. Because I've only ever been to this forum in passing, and I don't know anyone here. But we're linked, of course; brothers & sisters of the heart.

U2 have been part of my life for a long time now, at some times far more than others. They've faded in and out; become unfocused & far away like looking down the wrong end of a telescope with a scuffed eyepiece for periods, then back up in my face, billboard-size. These things haven't coincided with album releases or tours, more the directions life's taken me. But here I am, probably 28 years after first becoming aware of their existence, still listening. Sometimes annoyed, sometimes rolling my eyes, but always fascinated, and occasionally, like a couple of days ago, listening with tears dancing down my cheeks as I HAD to play "Yahweh" three times on the spin.

And that, maybe, has prompted me to join. I'd like to talk about this band. None of my friends have ever liked them. Some loathe U2 with genuine venom. The wife only likes a couple of things.

I don't have many regrets, really. All-too tied-up with guilt and so forth. But I really, really wish I'd seen U2 live at some point. Seems the times I could have easily seen them I wasn't that bothered for one reason or another, and the times I wanted to, circumstances got in the way. I even saved up to see them in 1987, presented the money to my parents who then told me I couldn't go because it was in the middle of my exams. I will never do that to my kids. My daughter is two and for well over a year has been into watching YouTube videos of live U2 songs - her favourite is "Streets" (R&H or Superbowl). :love:

Anyway. Here I am. I'm glad to be here.

:wave: Hello and welcome to Interference. I hope you find the solace and comradarie with fellow U2 fans here as I have. I feel every word you said (well composed, I must commend you) with the exception that I am so thankful, having been a fan since 1980 to have had the opportunity to have seen my favorite band of all time live. It is an experience that will move you in ways you had only read about, it is like Church and it is indeed UNFORGETTABLE! Do what you can to see the boys perform live. Even go alone-you will be so thankful you did!

Welcome!

Lovely metaphor of telescope and U2 being in and out of focus in your musical life/life.

Being one of the more years end of Interland's current continuum; I have have been fans of many bands who I've liked to really, really love! Some I found near(er) to the beginnings of their careers including 2 who have risen I believe deservedly so to R&R Superstardom around 10 - 20 years before U2 based on both their recordings, and their live performances.

For me it is a testament to U2's incredible talents in their recorded works, also their powerful live performances; that they joined my pantheon of the Best R&R Bands Ever, as I also then followed U2 from around 1980 onwards!

Now "all" you have to do is start putting a bit of money aside as you can - because there is a very high probability they will doing at least one more tour (if not 2) because of a 12 year contract with Live Nation that started around :hmm: ? '08. Should it occur that even IF you feel at the time they next tour you're feeling not so connected with them again > GO ANYWAY :)lol:) if you can! LISTEN to CAREK (and me :D)-- because their LIVE SHOW will take you on a Wonderous journey!

Just so you know occasionally here the musical/ performance discussions get a little too sharp, but you'll most probably make some nice friends here.

And it's great to hear that you'll treat your daughter differently then your parents did to you!

My dad hated R&R but he'd sometimes take us to shows when we were "too young" to go ourselves/or neighborhood was "too dangerous" and wait outside for us. Mom did as well when she could. Our mom who liked some R&R as well would keep extra money for us (which our dad didn't like) later on in our mid-late teen in the "old days". This was still some years before ATMs were really popularized; so that when we had to run to a place to get a money order, then send it we were ready- since there'd usually be family and friends; 4-6 of us to get tickets for!

There are also plenty of families here who have introduced their kids to U2 early on so you'll enjoy that camaraderie as well!

Have a great stay!

:wave: Hello and welcome to Interference. I hope you find the solace and comradarie with fellow U2 fans here as I have. I feel every word you said (well composed, I must commend you) with the exception that I am so thankful, having been a fan since 1980 to have had the opportunity to have seen my favorite band of all time live. It is an experience that will move you in ways you had only read about, it is like Church and it is indeed UNFORGETTABLE! Do what you can to see the boys perform live. Even go alone-you will be so thankful you did!

Please Take care of what Carek posted. She is right in the nose With that said-

I want to wish you a warm welcome here!! :wave::wave::wave:

Back
Top Bottom