World Chart Week 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
actual sales of album released after 2001...mind that sales are tracked only for the top 40 albums so it could be that an album out of the top 40 (number 40 tipically sells about 100-130k copies)is still selling 50k copies per week on a world basis (that means almost 2.5 millions per year) and is reported stuck at 3 or 4 millions copies sold.

Indeed the only numbers that really matter on the long run are official certifications and that's the only thing we should look for to know how many copies of an album have been sold after 2 or more years (or just after the album drops out of the world top 40)

I see the Global chart for singles (Tracks) that shows "Vertigo" is now the #2 song in the world (wow!). And I see HTDAAB is back at #1. I saw data showing first week sales and total sales. But I'm not seeing weekly sales after the first week. Where did you get that information?

Thanks! :wave:

doctorwho said:
So HTDAAB has sold 3.642M copies already, yet the 1990-2000 "Best Of" has only sold 3.033M copies? Wow... that's a lot lower than I thought, especially given how well the 80's "Best Of" sold.

I read this note:

"THE NUMBER OF COPIES ARE THE CUMULATIVE SALES OF AN ALBUM DURING THE TIME ON THE TOP 40 LIST"

So, Best Of 1990-2000 has sold more than 3,03 million copies!

Vox

Last edited:
Man I didnt think Norah Jones was that popular learn something new every day.

I got the weekly sales numbers from previous weeks. THere is a ticker on the main page that is giving the numbers for the top 5 for the week.

Also in the records page you can see that U2 had the 2nd biggest opening week (behind Norah Jones).

doctorwho said:
I see the Global chart for singles (Tracks) that shows "Vertigo" is now the #2 song in the world (wow!). And I see HTDAAB is back at #1. I saw data showing first week sales and total sales. But I'm not seeing weekly sales after the first week. Where did you get that information?

Thanks! :wave:

This chart should be treated with a grain of salt though, because there is no worldwide soundscan system that picks up all sales. Its unknown how many countries that are looked at for the chart actually use a soundscan type system and how widespread that soundscan system is in that country.

A far better estimate of total sales are sales numbers from the IFPI and RIAA. These two organizations each cover 1/3 of the entire global music market combining to represent nearly 70% of the global music market. Sales from other regions of the world can be estimated by extrapolating sales in Europe under the IFPI for the remaining 1/3. I have found this to be accurate on average usually within + or - 1 million of the true total when real data could be cross checked.

U2 Best Of 1990-2000 sold over 2 million copies alone in Europe. It sold over 1 million copies alone in the United States. I would put total global sales at around 5 million!

The Best of 1980-1990 has sold over 7 million copies in Europe alone. It has sold over 3 million copies in the United States alone. It has been reported that its total sales are over 15 million, and most likely by the above results 16 to 17 million worldwide!

I don't think media traffic is 100% accurate and nor does it have all the countries in theworld represented. However, I still think it is a reasonable "guide" given that its stats are collated from various reporting mediums. We use this as a short term guide for use.

Long term, each of the individual countries official reporting bodies (eg IFPI, RIAA) are the gospel.

3.64m in 3 weeks - wow. It will go close to selling 1m next week if christmas sales surge so 4.5m copies in one month - very impressive.

Back
Top Bottom