World Chart week 1 2005 (Jan 8)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beLIEve

Refugee
U2 retains the top spot on the global album chart with an increase of 1% to 827,000 albums sold. Eminem is #2 with 747,000 albums sold.

The 2004 year end sales estimate is still 5.81M albums. Does that mean that since we're in "week 1" of 2005, we should add the 827K to the 2004 total? That's how I read the chart, anyway, putting global sales at 6.637M units at a minimum.

Also, Vertigo stays strong at #2 on the singles chart. No other U2 single since ATYCLB has had this kind of run. BD made it to #2 for one week, and the faded after one week. The other singles that have made the world chart, none reaching higher than #6, are Stuck, Elevation, Walk On, and Electrical Storm. None of those come close to the success of Vertigo, at least based on this global chart.

Confustion on total sales

After reading all the posts about U2's global sales to date, there seems to be a consensus that the global chart had sales of 4.462M after 4 weeks, and that the next two weeks were estimates of 1.4M in sales, which was too low.

IF that's the case, then U2's ACTUAL total sales so far are 4.462M + 820K + 827K = 6.109M in total sales.

no the year end estimate is based on the last 2 weeks of the year...total sales so far are 5.3 million

week 1 85k (only japan)
week 2 1.850k
week 3 868k
week 4 840k
week 5 820k
week 6 827k

Last edited:
One thing to note about the accuracy of the worldchart.

The Worldchart claims that Shania Twain's UP has sold 6,774,000 copies.

But RIAA in the United States has officially certified UP for 10 million copies sold! In addition, IFPI has certified UP for 2 million copies sold and CRIA has certified UP for 1 million copies sold!

Thats 13 million copies confirmed sold and this does not include sales from South America, Asia, Australia etc!

STING2 said:
One thing to note about the accuracy of the worldchart.

The Worldchart claims that Shania Twain's UP has sold 6,774,000 copies.

But RIAA in the United States has officially certified UP for 10 million copies sold! In addition, IFPI has certified UP for 2 million copies sold and CRIA has certified UP for 1 million copies sold!

Thats 13 million copies confirmed sold and this does not include sales from South America, Asia, Australia etc!

sales are tracked till the album remains in the top 40 and an album at #40 sells about 80k-100k copies...so an album could be out of the top 40 and still sell about 5 million copies a year in 52 weeks. 5 million copies that wouldn't be tracked.

Adam22 said:
Up contains two discs. That means 5 million have been shipped in the US

That would make more sense if that is the case. But, IFPI does not count each disc in a package and neither does CRIA, unlike the RIAA. So perhaps the numbers are a little more accurate than I thought, but obviously, the numbers are still being underreported by several million copies.

STING2 said:

That would make more sense if that is the case. But, IFPI does not count each disc in a package and neither does CRIA, unlike the RIAA. So perhaps the numbers are a little more accurate than I thought, but obviously, the numbers are still being underreported by several million copies.

as i stated before numbers are underreported as a consequence of the fact that sales are tracked only when the album is in the top 40...once it fells out of the top 40 an album could continue selling as much as 80k copies per week (a typical #40 sells about 80-100k copies) and those sales wouldn't be tracked.

In an email sent to me today MediaTraffic told me their chart data comes from 36 countries. Now i'm sure that HTDAAB would have been released in more countries than that? Some of U2's albums hit number one in 30-35 countries alone, and there would be heaps of Asian markets etc where they wouldnt be big enough to hit number 1.

ChargedVT said:
In an email sent to me today MediaTraffic told me their chart data comes from 36 countries. Now i'm sure that HTDAAB would have been released in more countries than that? Some of U2's albums hit number one in 30-35 countries alone, and there would be heaps of Asian markets etc where they wouldnt be big enough to hit number 1.

This is interesting. I remember reading that Bomb would be released in around 100 countries/markets- although I expect the 36 covered by Mediatraffic account for a large majority of total sales.

Mike

Does anyone know where I can find the official Charts from POrtigal? I've already searched on many sites but I can't find them.
Thanks for the help.

i expect a big drop in world sales in this 6th week for every artist (with the notable exception of Green Day whose sales have been rising week after week)...that wouldn't be a problem but probably U2 will loose #1 in the world chart to Eminem (EM is doing better than U2 in all major markets this week and probably will benefit stronger sales than U2 even in the US) and that's a bit worrisome as i expected U2 to have stronger world sales than EM for a long time and not just 5 weeks.
Anyway i've the feeling that U2 will rise again on the chart in the next weeks (with the new singles) and that will be floating around the top 10 of the world chart for a long time (with the help of the tour)

I'm not sure ithat U2 will lose #1 in the world chart but it's possible because Eminem has also very strong sales.
However, I think that the bomb is a big succes.
ATYCLB was also very succesful album with over 11 million copies sold worlwide and the chart positions after 6 weeks weren't by far as good as those of the bomb. So, I think that the bomb will outsell ATYCLB if the album can stay very long between #20 and #40 in most of the countries as ATYCLB did.

Can you agree Dima?

Zoovation said:
I'm not sure ithat U2 will lose #1 in the world chart but it's possible because Eminem has also very strong sales.
ATYCLB was also very succesful album with over 11 million copies sold worlwide and the chart positions after 6 weeks weren't by far as good as those of the bomb. So, I think that the bomb will outsell ATYCLB if the album can stay very long between #20 and #40 in most of the countries as ATYCLB did.

Can you agree Dima?

I too now expect Bomb to lose the top spot in the world chart, and at this point w/be content for them to remain in the top 3.

Mike

Zoovation said:

Can you agree Dima?

you're right: we tend to forget that ATYCLB sales and positions after 6 weeks weren't by far as good as the bomb's...but judging from the way HTDAAB has started we can't deny a little disappointment.
As for my prediction i think U2 will lose the #1 spot in the world chart and most likely will fall to #3: Green Day and EM are doing better almost anywhere...anyway i think this one is just a strange week and hopefully by the next week (or the following one) U2 will be struggling again for the top spot in the world chart.

Yes, it's really a strange week so far.
We can hope that it will change next week...
I'm optimistic because with ATYCLB, it was the same. ATYCLB was not very long in the Top 10 but I came back there several times in many countries and after that, it stayed between #20- #40 a very long time as I said before!

Back
Top Bottom