Will U2 Produce a #1 hit with this album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popacrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Looking over the billboard Hot 100, Coldplay (sorry, go beat your head against the wall interference but this thread's nothing to do with them) hit #2 with Viva La Vida. I assume this has a lot to do with the iTunes ad and the fact that basically since Vertigo, the Hot 100 has been counting downloads into the chart position. I believe Vertigo hit 31 on the Hot 100, but if downloads were counted then it would have easily cracked the top 10 (I think.) Beautiful Day reached #21.

Do you think that they can produce a song that's that good that it can transcend the (general) crapiness of the radio? The current top 10 is:

Lil' Wayne- Lollipop
Coldplay- Viva la Vida
Leona Lewis- Bleeding Love
Katy Perry- I kissed a Girl
Rihanna- Take a Bow
Usher ft/ Young Jeezy- Love in this Club
Jordin Sparks & Chris Brown- No Air
Ray J & Young Berg- Sexy Can I
Natasha Bedingfield- Pocketful of Sunshine
Madonna ft/ Justin Timberlake- 4 Minutes

At first glance, Coldplay looks pretty out of place, but Natasha Bedinfield kind of does too. The rest is r&b/hip hop/pop, whatever you want to call it.

Point is, U2 have only had a pair of #1 hits in the US, both of which in 1987. I guess a more fair question is can they get a top 10 hit? I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) Discotheque was their last top 10 hit and its stay there was short lived.

I know most of you guys don't care about chart position, and don't want the band to care about the chart position or whatever. But I can guarantee you that they do and I think it would be incredible at their age if they could crack the top 10 of that list, or a similar list in August/Sept., or even hit #1 which they haven't done since the Joshua Tree.

Thoughts?

I think it's possible... Coldplay is a good example because they are similar, especially in comparison to everything else on the charts. And while they're younger, they're also not exactly "hip", yet they're still very popular/successful - much the way U2 is these days eh?

U2's new album will do well from their name alone. A #1 single would be a dream, but it's unlikely. Still with Eno and Lanois behind them you never know, and I bet another iPod ad would help too

I don't think we have to worry about U2 making "radio music" since most of what's on the radio is nothing at all like what U2 sounds like, ever. But personally I think it'd be awesome if they did have a hit single.

Really though...who cares about pop charts? I don't think they're THAT obsessed.
Especially now, when they're, as it seems, making a real album, as a whole (not a collection of possible singles, as the last two).

Didn't U2 have a few #1 singles on different charts around the world from HTDAAB?

They sure did, inc 2 in the Uk, they have never had more than one number 1 of one album in the UK before.
The States is the only major country where U2 don't have regular top ten and number one singles.

i sincerely hope they arent concerned with this. and in doing so will be the only way they do produce a #1 hit.

"Vertigo" was a worldwide #1 hit, "Sometimes..." was a #1 hit in many countries too - both topped the charts in the UK. "City Of Blinding lights" was not #1 in the UK because of that Crazy Frog, but it was #1 in some European countries for several weeks like Spain and Portugal.

I count 27 #1s around the world since 1985. Is this correct?

The Unforgettable Fire
With or Without You
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Where the Streets Have no Name
Desire
Angel of Harlem
When Love Comes to Town
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
One
Even Better than the Real Thing
Stay (Faraway, so Close!)
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Discothèque
Staring at the Sun
Sweetest Thing
Beautiful Day
Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Elevation
Walk On
Electrical Storm
Vertigo
Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own
All Because of You
The Saints are Coming
Window in the Skies
The Ballad of Ronnie Drew

Of course, this information is from Wikipedia, so mayhap it's slightly erroneous.

Not in the U.S. And I don't want them to. The only good song on the top 10 right now is Viva la Vida, and it's very rare that such a song will enter the top 10 anymore. The last U2 top 10 hit in the U.S. was Discothèque. Their only two number 1 hits were WOWY and ISHFWILF. Their time on 'merican pop radio has come and gone. Now look at the crap that has replaced it. Do you want U2 to be associated with that?

I'd much rather have u2 make an awesome sounding record that might be a little too expirental for most mainstream taste than to bow down to the mainstream and make it as quick and as catchy as possible ie vertigo.

=\

I wish this thread wasn't moved because it doesn't really have anything to do with finances or money or anything, but rather if U2 can climb the charts- I do understand how this forum discusses charts etc., but it's a combination of that and the new album.

That said, can't an awesome sounding record produce #1 hits? I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For and With or Without You are their only two #1 hits. That's two of their best songs and not quick and catchy.

Whether or not the charts/US would be that welcoming of U2 getting a #1 song over Lil' Wayne (lol) etc., i dunno. But I don't think that #1 in the US = quick, catchy, throwaway song- at least not in U2's case.

if they count iTunes downloads now then i would say there's a chance, but i wouldn't count on it.

Then you would have counted wrong. If Billboard counted downloads when "Vertigo" was out, it easily would have cracked the Top 10. The song was falling off the charts, floating in the 60's when Billboard revamped their format for the Hot 100 (counting downloads). As a result, "Vertigo" jumped up over 20 spots on the charts!! And this was when the song was well past its prime as a hit. Therefore, it easily would have been a Top 10, possibly Top 5 hit. Had "Beautiful Day" been released as a CD single, it too probably would have made the Top 10 (as CD sales still counted back then).

If U2 have another "Beautiful Day", "Vertigo" or "With or Without You" in them (i.e., another great lead single), given the current Billboard format, I do predict another Top 10 hit. Will it reach #1? That's impossible to predict. It really needs either a HUGE number of downloads that first week (possible) or it needs to make a big impact on radio, as those three songs did. However, if U2 release a song like "The Fly" as their first single, something that's great, but really not radio-friendly, then no, there will be no #1 (and maybe no Top 10).

Bottom line - it's very possible for U2 to see the Top 10 or higher, but it depends on the song they release as a lead single.

No way. No way.

U2's last top 10 hit was Discotheque in 1997. They haven't had a top 10 hit since. In fact, they haven't cracked the top 20 (BD hit 21).

U2 won't hit #1, and they shouldn't care about that. They should just focus on making good music and quit trying to compete with Chris Brown and Rihanna. That time has passed. Long passed.

In the USA, not very likely.
In the UK, quite likely.
How well the lead-off single goes is, to me, irrelevant. The album will still sell millions, and that's what I would rather have, instead of a big single but bad album sales. Let's face it, in U2's case, the first single ALWAYS does better than the following singles, at least these days anyway, so any hope of a Top 5 or even number 1 hit rests with it. Once I've heard the first single (Please leak soon!) then I could tell you if I think it will do any good.

song comes out in just about a day.

How high will it get in the US? Top 10? Top 5? Top 20? Any final guesses?

Eminems new one is out the same day as U2's in the UK (i dont like him btw, but i know alot of the teeny boppers do), and noticed he is also ahead of U2 in the HMV pre-orders chart, anyone think this might knock U2's chart position down a place?

Bad call releasing against Eminem I think. On the other and, I can't imagine there is much overlap in the audience.

I don't want to imagine a world where U2 don't debut at #1 :sad:

When was the last time U2 failed to hit #1 in the UK with either and album and or single? has it ever even happened? (apart from first 3 albums obviously)

When was the last time U2 failed to hit #1 in the UK with either and album and or single? has it ever even happened? (apart from first 3 albums obviously)

Boy, October and AB are their only non number 1 UK albums

And every single since If God Will Send His Angels has gone top 5
I don't think they'll have all top 5s this time though, that doesn't really happen for most acts thanks to download sales.

I agree with JC. There has to be a better song on there than GOYB. We'll just have to wait to hear the rest of the songs.

Back
Top Bottom