Will U2 Produce a #1 hit with this album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To me Eminem and U2 are in the same boat right now. They both havent had any albums out since 04 cept for compilations. Eminem was the biggest thing back in 04, but he also has a whole new audience to introduce himself 2.

In Wikipedia they still say "Spring 2009" for emimem's new album :confused:

A statement today said Eminem's new album will be finished within " weeks " then they will sort a realse schedule out. Will Interscope Records allow eminem and u2 to go head to head in the same week ? doubt it.

A statement today said Eminem's new album will be finished within " weeks " then they will sort a realse schedule out. Will Interscope Records allow eminem and u2 to go head to head in the same week ? doubt it.

i'm agree with you!
do you remember in 2000 when Universal released atyclb in the week with Outkast and another big artist (jay-Z?...but i don't remember exacly)?Paul McGuinness said that it was suicide...for u2 and Universal...

I think Universal feels that each artist have a completely different audience and that one won't affect the sales of the other.
But no matter what that's stupid cause they are taking a #1 from one of it's artists when they could have two artists from their label topping the charts for at least two weeks. (And we know that if released apart from each other Eminem and U2 have sales power to top for more than one week each.)

Interscope wont allow the clash

Couple of points here

1:) There was big trouble at Universal when JayZ released his CD the same day as ATYCLB. Paul McGuinness made his displeasure VERY clear (and I'm surmising given that they only had 1 studio CD left on the contract that this was important. ). Jay-z himself has recently become quite friendly with the band (due partly to his stint as Universal honcho).

2:) Jimmy Iovine is the head honcho at Interscope. He produced Rattle and Hum. Hes still close to the band. Nuff said.

3:) If Eminem isnt finished yet hes going to have trouble with CD pressing, artwork production etc in meeting that date. It takes a bit of time to get that together in the quantities relevant for Eminem. Same goes for the promo plan, TV bookings etc. Interscope would not let an Eminem CD (read meal ticket) out without SERIOUS and expensive marketing support. That takes time.

4:) Neither Eminem nor U2 will want the clash. I'm pretty sure of that.

I don't know if it's going to do that well in the US but in Canada the album and at least a single will go to #1. GOYB is already at 3. Since POP, U2 have got nine #1 songs in Canada. This might be on par with Ireland or maybe better.

[Canada - U2 single success since POP]

*Get On Your Boots (3)currently
Window In The Skies (1)
City of Blinding Lights (2)
All Because of You (1)
Vertigo (2)
Electrical Storm (1)
Stuck In The Moment You Can't Get Out Of (1)
Elevation (1)
Walk On (1)
Beautiful Day (1)
Sweetest Thing (1)
Please (10)
Last Night on Earth (9)
Staring at the Sun (2)
Discotheque (1)

don't forget about The Saints Are Coming. :)

I don't know if it's going to do that well in the US but in Canada the album and at least a single will go to #1. GOYB is already at 3. Since POP, U2 have got nine #1 songs in Canada. This might be on par with Ireland or maybe better.

[Canada - U2 single success since POP]

*Get On Your Boots (3)currently
Window In The Skies (1)
City of Blinding Lights (2)
All Because of You (1)
Vertigo (2)
Electrical Storm (1)
Stuck In The Moment You Can't Get Out Of (1)
Elevation (1)
Walk On (1)
Beautiful Day (1)
Sweetest Thing (1)
Please (10)
Last Night on Earth (9)
Staring at the Sun (2)
Discotheque (1)

Amazing that Vertigo didn't get to #1

Thats an impressive run since 1998 in Canada. They've played all of those songs live on that list except Electrical Storm. I'll be mega disappointed if they don't play it this next tour. Its the song that really got me into U2 and probably still is my favourite U2 song (although somedays Dirty Day takes that spot ;) )

^Dirty Day...top tune!

umm...sorry, I forgot to add 'The Saints Are Coming' to that Canada list and Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own. Both went #1. Holy crap, that's 11 number 1 singles from Discotheque forward. I'd love to see Ireland's chart history.

Window In The Skies
The Saints are Coming
Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own
All Because of You
Electrical Storm
Stuck In The Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Elevation
Walk On
Beautiful Day
Sweetest Thing
Discotheque

Dont' forget the success in Canada during the PopMart Tour: soldouts shows in Winnipeg, Edmonton (2 shows), Toronto (2 shows) and Montreal. Vancouver show sold around 30.000 seats :doh:

Vox

Just heard on the radio the highest selling album worldwide for 08 was Viva La Vida with 6.8 million sold. Not great numbers for albums anymore this is less than pop!

Back
Top Bottom