Why not release back catalog?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oliveu2cm

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
My boyfriend asked me this and I realized I couldn't come up with the answer- why don't U2 release a backcatalog of their records- mainly, the singles? I know I for one would looooo:drool:ve to buy all of the singles in one swoop. cheating, sorta :lol: But easier than tracking them down, and cheaper too. :sexywink:

Do they not do this because it makes those out there less rare? Or because they don't need to, or does it make an artist look ostenatious when they do this? :scratch:

I'm not all that tuned into the ways of the business side of the music industry- so thx for your help in advance! :D

I don't know why they aren't doing this now. Maybe because they already did that around 1991/1992. At that time they released all their earlier maxi-singles on CD (from Fire to All I Want Is You).
I think that nowadays they don't even think about this. They don't need to, so why do it?

C ya!

Marty

Popmartijn said:
I don't know why they aren't doing this now. Maybe because they already did that around 1991/1992. At that time they released all their earlier maxi-singles on CD (from Fire to All I Want Is You).
I think that nowadays they don't even think about this. They don't need to, so why do it?

C ya!

Marty

Oh wow I didn't know about that 91/92 release! Cool :up:

Thanks Marty!

Actually, U2 technically didnt do that. A german company somehow got the rights to release all the 12" singles on CD then. However, they supposedly were not endorsed by U2. Not sure how its possible, but I remember reading article about it back then.

Also, the early singles (IE Out Of Control, Another Day, 11 O'clock) have never been released on CD. I wish they would tough. My guess is we wont see them on CD though until U2 does a box set which is probebly a very long way off.

Back
Top Bottom