What is U2 facing on October 14th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So 70k on pre sales alone but I'm not sure how many "week of" sales there will be since a lot of people already have the album. Not to mention, NO announced promos in the US yet and half of next week they are in Europe promoting the album.

You might have me beat!!!! I might have to go online an order 100k copies from Amazon. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

LOL. Well, we shall see. Not sure if they will end up around 70k, or closer to 100kish, depending on how all this will be tallied and what Billboard was really saying with their statement.

Lets face it. The big bands are having trouble hitting 2 or 300k going the traditional route. So for U2 to give it away for 5 weeks, they really can't get to a big opening number.

But that's ok. I have to agree with Bono that the charts are indeed broken. People's listening habits are SO scattered now, that the old standards of tracking "popularity" really holds no real meaning.

I like to see them do well. But maybe having 80 million people hear at least some part of what they created is what true success is now.

Hmmm.... Just read this estimate

Florida Georgia Line (Republic Nashville) 180-200k
Bob Seger (Capitol) 50-60k
You+Me (RCA) 40-50k
Hoodie Allen (Hoodie Allen) 35-45k
U2 (Interscope) 25-30k
Jessie J (Lava/Republic) 20-25k
Nico & Vinz (Warner Bros.) 10-15k

We’ll have a clearer picture tomorrow morning; please take these figures with the requisite grain of salt. (10/14p)

From this site: HITS Daily Double: Rumor Mill

Hope it is not true :sad:

Those are brutal numbers if it is true but it goes to show how the CD sales landscape has changed.

Wow. That's crazy. I guess I can see it being possible. But billboard was estimating 70 ish. I sure hope it's closer to that.
Now throw in Jason Aldean who will probably sell at least 100 to 140k next week as well. And even Streisand could still sell around 30, so U2 could be looking at maybe being out of the top 5, even as low as 7. Ugh

Those are for physical sales only. The digital version of Songs Of Innocence + doesnt come out until Nov 18

Yeah, but who is really going to plunk down the money for the digital when they could have already got the digital for free?

It wouldn't surprise me if this were true. Literally anybody that wanted it got for free from iTunes (or illegally downloaded it with no guilt), so this physical release is mostly only going to be for U2 fans that want to add the new release to their collection.

Sorry number 22, and that's as at yesterday, so only on day of release? Strange that people bought it when it was free a couple of days ago?

Hitsdailydouble today update.

YOUR NEW RELEASES: Country continues its streak at #1 as the sophomore effort from Florida Georgia Line is set to debut on top. This will be the third week in a row that a country title has debuted at #1. And rock legend Bob Seger will return to familiar territory in the upper region of the album chart with a likely #2 finish. Here are this week’s key debuts:

Florida Georgia Line (Republic Nashville) 185-195k
Bob Seger (Capitol) 55-60k
You+Me (RCA) 45-50k
Hoodie Allen (Hoodie Allen) 30-35k
The Game (eOne) 27-30k
U2 (Interscope) 24-27k
Jessie J (Lava/Republic) 21-24k
Idina Menzel (Warner Bros.) 18-21k
Milky Chance (Republic) 16-18k
Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness (Vanguard) 15-17k
Swon Brothers (Arista Nashville) 10-12k
Mary Lambert (Capitol) 8-10k
Nico & Vinz (Warner Bros.) 6-8k

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/rumormill.cgi?0

Those are for physical sales only. The digital version of Songs Of Innocence + doesnt come out until Nov 18

The digital version (also of the deluxe edition) is available for sale. Just not on iTunes, but on Amazon.com etc.

I just went back to the Billboard article and I'm seeing something that could be quite disturbing but now makes more sense.

Based on pre-orders alone, sources suggest to Billboard the physical deluxe edition will move an additional 70,000 copies in the U.S.

This says NOTHING about first week sales!! It's saying that they will move an additional 70k copies in the U.S.
This could very well mean, 70k total, or at least for the year.

Look at Hits number around 25k for the first week, probably dropping to 10 after that then maybe 7 for a couple weeks, maybe 10 a week during the holidays and then slip off all together.

That would total up to about 70k...

Take from that what you will...

In another thread where people were merrily predicting over 200k, I said I didn't see the album breaking 120k. Now even that seems like a totally out there guess.

I wonder how they'll chart in Australia. Hell, I haven't bought a copy and have no plan to.

The album is #5 on UK midweeks chart, it looks like a Top 15 debut in the U.S. about #12-#14.

Where are you getting the 12 to 14 placement? I think it looks at least like top 10, maybe even as high as 7.

And again, not really sure what numbers we are looking at. It all seems a little odd.

But I guess when you put an album out for free. Even fans of the band are satisfied with that and aren't gonna go 16 bucks for it.

In another thread where people were merrily predicting over 200k, I said I didn't see the album breaking 120k. Now even that seems like a totally out there guess.

I wonder how they'll chart in Australia. Hell, I haven't bought a copy and have no plan to.

I predicted 230k.....:(

I still think the 30k is wrong but we will find out soon enough

So I bought the vinyl and deluxe on Tuesday evening. The record shop had not even put their single copy in the bin yet and I had to search all over Best Buy until I stumbled upon a new releases display. They had about 10 copies of the deluxe and it looked like I had bought the first one based upon how it was stocked. It is a sad time for fans of music!

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

So I bought the vinyl and deluxe on Tuesday evening. The record shop had not even put their single copy in the bin yet and I had to search all over Best Buy until I stumbled upon a new releases display. They had about 10 copies of the deluxe and it looked like I had bought the first one based upon how it was stocked. It is a sad time for fans of music!

It's amazing how much the music "sections" in these stores has shrunk. Music sales are way down and physical sales are down even more.

I did not make a prediction as I had no idea how this free release would impact sales. It's one thing to illegally download an early release (as what happened to HTDAAB and NLOTH) but it's completely different when the album legally just appears on your iPhone or iPad.

Had this been a more traditional release, though, I wonder about sales. U2 might have just cleared 200K.

So Bono, don't apologize for the free release. The album gained tons more exposure than it ever would have had the traditional release been used again. Yes, there was some negativity - people love to complain. These same people would have complained simply because you even released an album! But in terms of marketing, this was brilliant. Sales may be off - but I fear that would have happened anyway. The tour will be great! And sales may actually be strong if one of the songs becomes a hit. Now, if only radio would cooperate a bit...

Yeah, I can't imagine they're going to care too much about the sales, when they have that huge "downloads/listens" number to toss around. They knew that would have a huge impact on sales.

Update from HDD

Looks like in the top 10

YOUR TOP 15 (OR SO): Eight new titles will bow in the Top 15 next week, including the new one from classic-rock giant Bob Seger. Among the holdovers, Sam Smith increases by as much as 50% with help from CBS Sunday Morning and Today Show looks. Here’s how things are shaping up as we head into the weekend.

*Florida Georgia Line (Republic Nashville) 190-200k
Jason Aldean (Broken Bow) 85-95k
*Bob Seger (Capitol) 53-58k
*You+Me (RCA) 45-50k
Barbra Streisand (Columbia) 40-45k
Sam Smith (Capitol) 34-38k
*Hoodie Allen (Hoodie Allen) 31-35k
*Game (eOne) 27-30k
*U2 (Interscope) 25-28K
Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga (Columbia/Interscope) 25-28k
*Jessie J (Lava/Republic) 21-24k
Blake Shelton (Warner Bros. Nashville) 20-23k
*Idina Menzel (Warner Bros.) 18-21k
Maroon 5 (222/Interscope) 18-21k
Lady Antebellum (Capitol Nashville) 16-18k
Frozen (Walt Disney) 15-17k
Hozier (Columbia) 15-17k
*Milky Chance (Republic) 15-17k

*Debuts

In case you’re wondering, You+Me is a rootsy collaboration between one Alecia Moore (aka P!nk) and City and Colour’s Dallas Green. Turning to health headlines, it turns out you can get Ebola from watching cable news. (10/16p)

Makes me think that with a little US promotion they could have pulled off top 5 placement. But they are focused on Europe right now. Something most artists don't have to split themselves between.
Maybe they will start US promos in a week or two and keep the album sitting in the top 20 for a while? ugh. anyway, disappointing.

Makes me think that with a little US promotion they could have pulled off top 5 placement. But they are focused on Europe right now. Something most artists don't have to split themselves between.

Maybe they will start US promos in a week or two and keep the album sitting in the top 20 for a while? ugh. anyway, disappointing.

Very disappointing. It just doesn't make sense to me but we will find out for sure next Wednesday.

On a positive note:

The album opened:

#1 in France
#1 in Neatherlands
#2 in Ireland (thats not too positive)

Maybe people have had enough of U2, or the concept of albums in general.

We all know that U2 is an albums band not a singles band and if memory serves me correctly they haven't had a true Billboard hit in the US since Beautiful Day which was approximately 15 years ago.

Hopefully though it can have stable sales it doesnt take much to stay in the top 100 now.

Back
Top Bottom