What financial impact will the crash have on a tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snowbunny00774

ONE love, blood, life
I'm suprised no one's asked this yet - or maybe they have, I just don't remember seeing it. Will anyone go to see less shows on the next tour than they did on the last one if the economy is on a downward turn?

well for me, I have unfortunately never seen U2 live before, so I have made a promise to myself to see them on their next tour. But I guess I am lucky, because the economy is not hurting my job or my parents' job. I think overall, attendance will not be too affected, because concert tickets are pretty expensive anyways, so the people who can afford it won't be in too much financial trouble, because they have a lot of disposable income anyways.

I'm suprised no one's asked this yet - or maybe they have, I just don't remember seeing it. Will anyone go to see less shows on the next tour than they did on the last one if the economy is on a downward turn?

Interesting question although I think the band always tries to be ahead of the curve so, it will be interesting to see what the band does next. They might do a smaller tour in 2009, or delay the album release until November 2009 and then tour in 2010 with the hopes that by then the financial crises and its effects will largely be over.

But they may feel that the impact will be small if any on the tour and dive right in with what ever plan they had before the financial crises started in mid-September.

u2 tour

I cant see them doing two tours of the US. Although Maybe a short indoor tour and a Stadium tour might make a bit of sense. I think alot of it comes down to logistics for people. Last tour $50 for GA's was an awesome value. If it cost more then that for crap seats in a stadium this tour i think people will still go but to not as many shows. Last tour $160 for seats I though was a bit pricey. (yes i know not compared to chermadonnaeagles.)

Well with the Aussie dollar dropping and dropping we are already seeing a few tours being called off. Paul McCartney and Neil Diamond have both delayed Aussie tours - so if the cash isnt here U2 may pass - like they did with the Elevation Tour.

I will not go into credit card debt like I have in the past. I will probably see one show if any, but I would have tried to stick to that anyway regardless of the economy.

Many people go to so many shows whether they have disposable income or not-they just go into credit card debt for it. It can be an addiction for some people just like other things that they spend money on that they don't have.

ACDC did big business. I think there is pent up demand for U2 after all the sellouts in Feb 2005.

They have done some good business despite the fact they don't use seats behind the stage and often only play single shows even in some major cities. I believe a show in Columbus Ohio did not sellout with several thousand seats available. But really, their not a good comparison to what U2 would be doing. They also have not toured since 2001.

This has been on my mind a lot recently, especially since speculation about album release dates is picking up. I saw only two shows last tour - one here at home in NC (their only NC performance, by the way) & one at Madison Square Garden. Granted, the NY trip was a bit of a splurge but since we stayed with friends on Long Island, it actually served as a vacation not just a trip to see a show. I definately want to see 2 shows again (of course I'd love to see 10 shows, 15 shows.....:) ) and although Kelly & I don't anticipate any interruption of our jobs the increased costs of utilities, groceries, travel, etc. has put a damper on our disposable cash like anyone else.

Truth of it all is, I'd just as well the band completely strip down all the lights & visual elements, charge no more than $75 a ticket & just let themselves & their music be the star attraction. I don't see it happening, but wouldn't that be a great way for the world's best band to remain a trendsetter?? :pray:

They have done some good business despite the fact they don't use seats behind the stage and often only play single shows even in some major cities. I believe a show in Columbus Ohio did not sellout with several thousand seats available. But really, their not a good comparison to what U2 would be doing. They also have not toured since 2001.

The Columbus show was sold out, but the seats behind the stage were not sold. Yes, they potentially could have sold a few thousand tickets more. What can I say... nobody sells out concerts in Columbus. ACDC played to 13,000 out of possible 18,000 here recently. I believe U2 played to 15,000+ in 2001 in Columbus. I was there.

Back
Top Bottom