What are U2's ticket sales in the US ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
boxscores!

u2 boxscores usa!
giants stadium $16,128,950 161,810/161,810 2/2
soldier field $13,860,480 135,872/135,872 2/2
gillette stadium $12,859,778 138,805/138,805 2/2
rogers center $9,571,672 115,411/115,411 2/2

Not this time. Their power to draw, their ability to fill a stadium is not a reflection of the economy as much as it is a reflection of declining relevance. .

Think again. They have the 2nd biggest selling album worldwide of the year and the U2 360 tour will soon be the highest grossing and highest attended tour in history. Its possible the tour will gross $700 million with 6.5 million to 7 million in attendance. 2nd Biggest selling album of the year plus the most successful tour in history is not a sign of declining relevance, its the exact opposite.

Best Selling Albums in 2009 WORLDWIDE as of WEEK 39

1. Lady Gaga The Fame 3,583,000
2. U2 No Line On The Horizon 3,295,000
3. Michael Jackson Thriller 2,877,000
4. Kings Of Leon Only By The Night 2,810,000
5. Michael Jackson Number Ones 2,656,000
6. Eminem Relapse 2,638,000
7. Taylor Swift Fearless 2,573,000
8. soundtrack Hannah Montana: The Movie 2,470,000
9. The Black Eyed Peas The E.N.D. 2,466,000
10. Beyoncé I Am... Sasha Fierce 2,347,000
11. Green Day 21st Century Breakdown 2,223,000
12. Michael Jackson The Essential 2,222,000
13. soundtrack Twilight 1,980,000
14. Pink Funhouse 1,911,000
15. Nickleback Dark Horse 1,770,000

usa leg stats

USA leg 2009
Total gross $52,420,880
Total shows 8
Sold out 8
Attendance 551,898
Average attendance 68,987

Well, not to beat a dead horse, but I used to drop everything: family, job, etc. to fly or drive half way across the country to see a U2 concert. Paid premium broker prices if necessary. Not this time. Their power to draw, their ability to fill a stadium is not a reflection of the economy as much as it is a reflection of declining relevance. If they want to sell out stadiums, they need to go back to making the kind of music that turns radio on its head, that "effs the mainstream" (to quote Bono), and not do these concerts where a full 1/3 of the setlist consists of lackluster songs from a drab album that radio won't touch. Admit it, don't you long for the days when radio stations would play "Numb?" or even the much maligned "Discotheque?" Achtung Baby was the summit folks, but they still produced great work through the 90s and early 00s. NLOTH is just recycled U2. Most people, myself included, would MUCH rather hear the warhorses, or even the obscure gems ("So Cruel" or "The Hands That Built America") than these current yawners, which no amount of dressing up or stage extravagance can save.

I think you should go and drive halfway across the country to see U2, as the other 2/3 of the show minus 1 consists of the war horses, and that minus 1 is Ultraviolet, yes, from (y)our beloved Achtung Baby.

They's basically playing No Line + 18 Singles. Makes sense, since those 2 are the 2 latest albums ;)

The #1 reason U2 has not soldout in these cities is because of the 360 stage set up. Few people dare to play stadiums in these cities and no one has ever played them in a 360 set up before. The 360 set up free's up tens of thousands of more seats that would normally be blocked by the stage. This makes it incredibly difficult, or essentially impossible to sellout these venues in these cities given the size of the stadium, and the size of the market.

Take it a step further. In 1997, U2 sold out 2 shows at Giants Stadium. I believe they sold 46,666 seats for each show (the 3rd show only 36k) and it was considered "sold out". The most recent two shows played to 84k and 77k respectively. So clearly, the stage adds a great deal of seats (thats near double capacity from 46k to 84k)...WOW

Take it a step further. In 1997, U2 sold out 2 shows at Giants Stadium. I believe they sold 46,666 seats for each show (the 3rd show only 36k) and it was considered "sold out". The most recent two shows played to 84k and 77k respectively. So clearly, the stage adds a great deal of seats (thats near double capacity from 46k to 84k)...WOW

These were the results for GIANTS Stadium POPMART:

U2 POPMART TOUR:

May 31, June 1, 3, 1997
East Rutherford, New Jersey
Giants Stadium
GROSS: $6,499,131
ATTENDANCE: 129,644
SHOWS: 3
SELLOUTS: 0
Average Ticket Price: $50.13

None of the three Giants Stadium shows on POPMART soldout although the first two shows did look full. Most shows that are not in 360 sellout at about 55,000 to 60,000 at Giants Stadium.

U2 POPMART TOUR:

May 31, June 1, 3, 1997
Giants Stadium

None of the three Giants Stadium shows on POPMART soldout although the first two shows did look full. Most shows that are not in 360 sellout at about 55,000 to 60,000 at Giants Stadium.

While I had to go back to a note book that I kept to get these numbers (yes, this was before the computer age....at least for me). Im almost sure the 1st two were reported as sold out. Im not doubting what you have but if I am wrong, how did I get 46,666 for two shows and 36,312 for the 3rd show. My "notebook" :wink: also has the total gross of 6,499,131 that you have listed, so I dont know what thats about. Do you have an official source (more official than my notebook :wink:, which I got the info from Billboard mag back in 97)?

U2 POPMART TOUR:

May 31, June 1, 3, 1997
Giants Stadium

What do you have for PoPMart Chicago? I have 42,500, (sold out), 42,500 (sold out) and 31,972 with a total gross of 5,956,587. My LA PoPMart is 64,488 sold out, which if they are playing to 90k for 360, would be a 25k increase, which is HUGE!

I'm pretty sure Chicago 2 was sold out. Unless there were 5,000 single empty seats sparatically spread throughout the stadium. There were no noticeable sections of empty seats. Believe me, I was looking for empties.

On night two after the show I was on a bus w/ a SF Security Guard she told me "Both nights were a complete sellout w/ 75,000 people total...."

Although I have heard 65,000 not sure if she meant total as in including GA Area:huh:

Think again. They have the 2nd biggest selling album worldwide of the year and the U2 360 tour will soon be the highest grossing and highest attended tour in history. Its possible the tour will gross $700 million with 6.5 million to 7 million in attendance. 2nd Biggest selling album of the year plus the most successful tour in history is not a sign of declining relevance, its the exact opposite.

Best Selling Albums in 2009 WORLDWIDE as of WEEK 39

1. Lady Gaga The Fame 3,583,000
2. U2 No Line On The Horizon 3,295,000

I only have one question

Who in the hell is buying Lady GaGa CD's:ohmy:

Do you have an official source (more official than my notebook :wink:, which I got the info from Billboard mag back in 97)?

I have the top 10 Billboard Boxscores from that week printed from Billboard.com. The 46,000 for nights one and two and then night 3 being at 36,000 is just an estimate. There is no official break down of the size of the audiance each night, just the combined total of 129,644 for all three nights. None of the shows sold all their tickets put on sale. I bought tickets for the first night, one hour before the opening act went on stage at the boxoffice.

What do you have for PoPMart Chicago? I have 42,500, (sold out), 42,500 (sold out) and 31,972 with a total gross of 5,956,587. My LA PoPMart is 64,488 sold out, which if they are playing to 90k for 360, would be a 25k increase, which is HUGE!

U2 POPMART TOUR:

June 27, 28, 29, 1997
Chicago, Illinois
Soldier Field
GROSS: $5,956,587
ATTENDANCE: 116,972
Average Ticket Price: $50.92

Again, three shows, but none were soldout. The initial batch of tickets that went on sale for both the first Chicago and New York shows did sellout, but more tickets were released, and some of these were not sold which is why they were not marked as sellouts.

U2 POPMART TOUR:

June 21, 1997
Los Angeles, California
Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum
GROSS: $3,329,775
ATTENDANCE: 65,488
SHOWS: 1
SELLOUTS: 1
Average Ticket Price: $50.85

The Rose Bowl show in October is projected to have 96,000+ in attendance.

I only have one question

Who in the hell is buying Lady GaGa CD's:ohmy:

Those sales include any album format including digital downloads, compact disc, or even cassette and Vinyl if available. Don't know who is actually buying the album, but I would assume its a lot of people under the age of 25.

They are selling party pass tickets at $30 for Dallas on ticketmaster now. if they sell those out dallas could have a potential of 90-100 thousand

The way the industry has worked since at least 1977, is that all if all tickets that are released for sell are sold, then the concert is marked a "sellout" even if the maximum physical capacity of the venue has not been used.

Every U2 show since 2001 has sold all the tickets that were released. Even on POPMART where there were several shows that did not sellout. For example, Mile High Stadium in Denver, which had an attendance of 28,000 for POPMART was listed as not being soldout with the capacity at 45,000. But 45,000 is not the maximum physical capacity of the stadium, its only the number of tickets that were released to the public. If U2 had sold all 45,000 tickets, the show would have been marked as a sellout, even though on ZOO TV they played to a larger crowd of 55,000.

This is how the industry works, and is something that it is seen with all artist that tour.

:up:

Charlottesville was the worse one in regards to sales before Norman Ok or maybe Houston but if you look at the videos that show was pretty packed! I think some people underestimated ticket sales so far in the U.S.

Charlottesville was the worse one in regards to sales before Norman Ok or maybe Houston but if you look at the videos that show was pretty packed! I think some people underestimated ticket sales so far in the U.S.

Yes, there were at least 50,000 people there. I wonder if it will be listed as sold out? I guess that the minimum attendance in the USA will be Norman with some 50,000 which will look a bit shabby since the stadium has room for easily 80,000 people in 360 configuration.

For several months now since after the first day that tickets went on sale, the only tickets that have been available in pairs were $95 and $30 dollar tickets on the top level of the stadium. In fact, with top level having 30 rows, one usually could not get a ticket lower than the 20th row.

Then recently, a few weeks ago, there was a ticket drop for multiple price levels in the lower sections, including $250 tickets. Based on these facts this show should sellout or be at least 95% full.

Well, the initial batch of tickets for the floor and lower level, with the exception of $250 tickets soldout the first day. Thats at least half of the stadium capacity for the show right there. When you include tickets sold in the upper level, its more than half. I don't know if it will sellout, but it should definitely have more than 50,000 people in attendance which will be a record for U2 in Texas, only to be topped by the Dallas 360 show.

If you go to Ticketmaster, you can still get at least 20 tickets at each price level with the exception of GA tickets. That's a bit alarming....I was hoping for it to be sold-out.

If you go to Ticketmaster, you can still get at least 20 tickets at each price level with the exception of GA tickets. That's a bit alarming....I was hoping for it to be sold-out.

Again, the largest number of people U2 had ever played to in Dallas prior to the 360 tour was 39,000 on the ZOO TV tour. U2 will be playing to nearly twice that many people at the 360 performance which is amazing. No one has ever played to 80,000 or more people at a non-festival ticketed concert in the state of Texas. Even if the show does not sellout, it will likely set the attendance record for concert in the history of the state of TEXAS.

The only reason the George Strait concert was able to sellout earlier this year was because it was playing in a configeration that only allowed there to be 60,000 tickets sold. U2 360 attendance appears to be way ahead of that.

The U2 show in Dallas does not actually have to sellout to set the state attendance and gross records for a concert.

Dallas is doing awesome check it out as of today.

$250 level 100 sold out
$250 level 200 single tickets left
$95 level 100 sold out
$95 level 200 sold out
$95 level 300 single tickets left
$95 level 400 multiple tickets left
$55 GA sold out
$55 level 200 sold out
$55 level 400 single tickets left
$30 level 100 sold out
$30 level 200 sold out
$30 level 400 single or Pairs left only

the only one you can buy more than 2 tickets at a time is the $95 level 400 section. they are also now selling up to 5000 party pass tickets which are standing room only at the end zones.

Well said. When the tour initially was announced as a stadium show, I was thinking it would do well because of the demand for Elevation and Vertigo. But in the back of my mind (well maybe closer to the front :shifty: ) I knew how much POPMART struggled in the US. I was never really worried about Europe or Canada but the smaller cities in the US I thought would not sellout. Well, as the tour progressed and all of their European shows sold out and more importantly, sold amazing amounts of tickets, I became more confident that the US tour could be fairly successful but I was still skeptical about more than half the dates (Boston 2, DC, Atlanta, Tampa, Oakla, ARZ, Houston, Dal, NC, Vir) because I heard tickets were still available for all those shows and some had massive amounts left (Oak, NC, Vir, Arz). However, after seeing Boston 2 ended up being sold out (they had to play to a minimum of 65k that night), they set a record at Giants Stadium with 84k(i was one of them) and then DC & Tampa were announced as sellouts, I realized that this is clearly not 1997 and U2 are a massive draw in the US. Not to mention from comments I have read in reviews and pics I have seen, Virginia had at least 55k, which is incredible considering I thought it was one of the worst selling stops. I remember in 1997 that a "poorly attended" show for POPMART was 20k in Clemson, 24k in Kansas City, 26k in Eugene or 28k in Denver but now a poor showing appears to be 50k, which would be one of the highest attended shows if it were 1997. Its really amazing, I mean U2 played to 93,946 people in 2 Boston shows on POPMART but this time, they played to 138,805 in 2 Boston shows. Yes, its a different stadium but that just shows the demand, being that U2 could increase attendance by 48% (44k) or an entire POPMART show in 1997). As I mentioned before, in 1997 they played to 65k in Los Angeles but this go around it will be closer to 95k, which is about 45% more people...the demand is clearly there. I just hope that the lesser selling shows on this tour pick up some sales and there aren't any "Clemson POPMART" shows.

Raleigh is doing awesome!
$250 Lower level multiples
$95 Level 300 sold out
$95 Lower level singles
$95 Upper level singles
$55 GA sold out
$55 Level 300 sold out
$55 Lower level sold out
$55 Upper level sold out
$30 Level 300 sold out
$30 Lower level sold out
$30 Upper level sold out
Atlanta is doing awesome!
$250 Lower level sold out
$95 Club level sold out
$95 Lower level singles
$95 Mezzanine sold out
$95 Upper level sold out
$55 GA sold out
$55 Lower level sold out
$55 Mezzanine sold out
$55 Upper level singles
$30 Mezzanine sold out
$30 Lower level sold out
$30 Upper level multiples

Good to hear! Dallas should have a HUGE attendance if they're doing party passes.

Anyone got an update on Norman? That's really the only one that ever worried me about looking like a black-eye embarrassment. But it also sounds like they've got encouraging sales for Tampa as well, after the PopMart debacle. Phew!

Here is Norman..
$250 East side multiples
$95 East side multiples
$95 North side multiples
$95 South side multiples
$95 West side multiples
$55 GA sold out
$55 East side multiples
$55 North side multiples
$55 South side multiples
$55 Upper level multiples
$55 West side multiples
$30 East side sold out
$30 North side sold out
$30 Upper level sold out
$30 West side multiples
Here is Tampa...
$250 Level 1 sold out
$95 Level 1 sold out
$95 Level 2 sold out
$55 GA sold out
$55 Level 3 sold out
$30 Level 1 sold out
$30 Level 3 sold out

Tampa is sold out, It's hard to say how many tickets have really been sold for Norman but there are multiple tickets left for most price levels as you can see.

Back
Top Bottom